Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Golden Era vs New Generation POLL

Best Era

• Golden Era

Votes: 26 45.6%
  • New Genaration

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • King Comrade

Votes: 17 29.8%

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

Atlet

Self-Ejected
Vatnik
Everyone knows that rennaissance rpgs are the best for the average codexer (fallouts, BG's, PST, Deus Ex, Arcanum, Bloodlines, SS 2, JA 2, Gothics, Morrowind ...). But, what about the fight between Golden Era RPGs (Wizardry, MM, Ultima, Gold Box, Darklands, Krondor, Realms of Arkania, Wasteland, Dragon Wars, Uukrul, QfG, XCOM, Arena...) and the new generation ones (Shadowrun, Pillars/Tyranny, Wasteland 2, Blackguards, Lord of Xulima, Age of Decadence/Dungeon Rats, Dragons Dogma, ELEX, Legends of Eisenwald, Serpent of Staglands, Underrail...)? Which era will win?

Let's start the battle of this quarter century.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I haven't played any of the New Generation, since I started my chronological play list in 2010 when the PC games scene had never looked worse, before the New Generation was kickstarted in 2012.
So by deault I have to choose Golden Era.

And I disgree with the Rennaissance being better than the Golden Age. For PC games in general, definitely. But not for CRPGs.
I think that would make a more interesting poll too.

Neanderthal

Arcane
"Best Era"? Why, whatever era it was when you were 12, of course.

No video games when I were 12, busy raiding Northumbrian monasteries.
Like to see a modern crpg make as good a game world as u7, all their innovation and improvement don't seem to have translated into matching quarter century old games. Still not matching thematic strength of u4 to u6 either.

Citizen

I thought that was a thread about Cleve declaring war on millenials. But on a serious note - there's no such thing as the best era. Games are very inconsistent, 95% of them are not worth the time, let alone the money. (Same with books, music and any art) There wasn't the best era. There were some gems among the oceans of mediocrity and shit, but their distribution in time seems random, not tied to 'eras'.

I prefer the combat-exporation-puzzles oriented RPGs to dialogues-c&c-romances oriented ones, so voted golden era, but that doesn't mean there were no good games in later 'eras'.

Cael

Arcane
Ultimas are far better than anything else that came since and in a large number of categories.

And anyone who thinks that modern RPGs like Mass Effect and Fallout 3 comes even within coo-ee of the RPGs of previous eras need to be shot for being too dumb to live. No, wait. Hung. Save the bullets, save the environment, rope is reusable.

funkadelik

Arcane
Everyone knows that rennaissance rpgs are the best for the average codexer (fallouts, BG's, PST, Deus Ex, Arcanum, Bloodlines, SS 2, JA 2, Gothics, Morrowind ...). But, what about the fight between Golden Era RPGs (Wizardry, MM, Ultima, Gold Box, Darklands, Krondor, Realms of Arkania, Wasteland, Dragon Wars, Uukrul, QfG, XCOM, Arena...) and the new generation ones (Shadowrun, Pillars/Tyranny, Wasteland 2, Blackguards, Lord of Xulima, Age of Decadence/Dungeon Rats, Dragons Dogma, ELEX, Legends of Eisenwald, Serpent of Staglands, Underrail...)? Which era will win?

Let's start the battle of this quarter century.
Since I'm 29, I started my foray into RPGs in the mid-to-later 90s, with BG (6 discs if I remember right, or was that BG2?), Fallout, Deus Ex, Morrowind, etc. I enjoyed most of the shit until NWN, just couldn't handle the transition into janky 3d. This caused me to delve in to older games, such as UU 1 and 2, EOTB, Ultimas, Lands of Lore, Might and Magic, etc. Then new shit came out that was fun such as Demon Souls, Dragon's Dogma, etc. But we had to wait quite a while, the Dark Ages of the RPG. This is why Oblivion and Skyrim were so easily playable, because there really wasn't anything else out there. If I have to be completely honest, I'm going to say that the games I started with were more complex and more mysterious, which made them more fun to play. Everything now just seems to be too easy, could just be the 20+ years of gaming under my wing, could be nostalgia. I don't mind a popamole here and there either, just like I don't expect every movie to be Citizen Kane.

Norfleet

As a general rule, there's one clear trend: The newer games get shittier even as their interfaces improve. So, with an old game, you have a great game buried behind a dogshit UI, with a new game, you have a dogshit game with a greatly improved UI. So do you want the shit on the inside or outside?

With old games, you can improve the UI yourself...and there will still be a game to play. With new games, you can still improve the UI, but once you have done so there is no longer a game.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
LOL, I thought this poll was about Cleve. :M

Anyway, it is New generation for me. I love some of the Golden Era games, but only a few of them, the others are too oldschool for me. But there are a lot of great stuff in the New Generation. Shoot me.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
"Best Era"? Why, whatever era it was when you were 12, of course.

Good joke but at that age i was playing in the neighbourhood after school with my yard friends. Computer games were to tedious, ZX Spectrum - if you know what i mean.

Since when do we call the 90s the Renaissance era, I thought the new/KS era was called the Renaissance era.

KS? Renaissance of mediocrity, banality. Good Lord bless Styg, Iron Tower Studios, roguelike creators - our Incline lighthouses:salute:

Cael

Arcane
But there are a lot of great stuff in the New Generation. Shoot me.
giphy.gif

Lurker47

Savant
I'm a bit cynical of both tbh. Older generation didn't have the money or capability to make a lot of truly dynamic C&C. Newer generation just doesn't give a shit to.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom