Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
This is exactly why I am saying that the different markets are different and is not relevant.

This is exactly why I am saying that the different markets are different and is not relevant

That's why you compare it with D:OS 2

D:OS 2 at release date had close to 80k and it's peak was 93k players online and it's still outpacing PoE 2 right now, which barely had 17k at release date and it's peak is 22k.

Let's look at his older brother, PoE had over 40k players online at release date and it was number 1 on steam for a few days, PoE 2 was for like 5 minutes. It's not hard to understand, people didn't enjoyed the first game and the remaining base doesn't seem to like that PoE 2 was transformed into a more retarded version Pirates of the Carribean.

Game is a mess, it's easy, it has a convoluted and short story, lazy encounter design, boring exploration, small maps and so many other small issues that it made the game less desirable than the first one. Let's hope they bury this franchise and the morons who proped it up

Morkar Left

I meant they overstretched and overestimated their fanbase with the sequel, especially the stupid, stupid decision to fully voice the game.

Fully VA doesn't sound appealing to me. Even in PoE1 it was already annoying to stop reading till the VA was ready with its speech (or skipping it away all the time). But regarding costs actually I don't think it was that expensive. The actors all (or most) seem to be fans of the game or rpgs in general. They probably did it at a reduced cost (there's some advertising for them as well by doing the VA). That's my guess at least.

Prime Junta

Game is a mess, it's easy, it has a convoluted and short story, lazy encounter design, boring exploration, small maps and so many other small issues that it made the game less desirable than the first one. Let's hope they bury this franchise and the morons who proped it up

You know you don’t have to work this hard on your Kodex Kred. It’ll come naturally, in time.

Or not.

Probably not.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
White March messed up literally everything that is possible to mess up on business level.

Too expensive.

Too late after the launch.

Splitting in in two was incredibly dumb - who the fuck will buy "part 1 of the addon"?

Mid-game expansion instead of endgame was also retarded. I couldn't get ANY the friends who liked the first game to play WM . They all have other games to play and didn't want to waste 20 hours starting over just to get to the expansion.

Who knows how much of that is on Feargus and how much on Paradox and their shitty DLC policies. But ultimately it was a gigantic fucking disaster. And actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Deadfire season pass has already outsold the White March. Because guess what how much steam reviews White March has? Around 50. Fucking fifty reviews for a 30 hour expansion to a base game that moved a million units.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I am really enjoying the guidebook. Josh knew only the ultimate nerds will read it, so he made no compromises with the style or academic language.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
There was nothing stopping TWM from being post-game content, it would've even strengthened its narrative because you wouldn't have taken a leisurely stroll to another part of the country while being ravaged by insomnia and maddening visions.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

You know you don’t have to work this hard on your Kodex Kred. It’ll come naturally, in time.

Or not.

Probably not.

No! The truth needs to get out, oh wait, the truth is already reflected by the abysmal sales and poor reception from the veterans and casuals, it seems my job is already done.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Mid-game expansion instead of endgame was also retarded. I couldn't get ANY the friends who liked the first game to play WM . They all have other games to play and didn't want to waste 20 hours starting over just to get to the expansion.

The White March expansion was likely aimed at the vast majority of players who never finished the game, enticing them to pick it up again and get some new content while they were at it. The question is if people actually do that with this sort of game - pick it up after they've already dropped it.

In a broader sense, that question is also relevant to the sequel. :M

Parabalus

Arcane

The White March expansion was likely aimed at the vast majority of players who never finished the game, enticing them to pick it up again and get some new content while they were at it. The question is if people actually do that with this sort of game - pick it up after they've already dropped it.

You can drop the "likely", JES was quite specific about not wanting to make a post game expansion because of low completion %.

pomenitul

Arbiter
Imagine needing to spend this much time waxing nihilistic about CRPGs on an aspie support forum that dares not speak its name. Wtf I don't hate my life now.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
You can drop the "likely", JES was quite specific about not wanting to make a post game expansion because of low completion %.

So, post-game expansions have low completion rates, and it turns out mid-game expansions also do, they also seem to lead into disastrous sales for the sequel. Where does that leave us and, more importantly, them and the future of expansions/DLC?

Jezal_k23

With shitty bite sized DLC.

When the fuck did people lose taste for meaningful expansions? No more Throne of Bhaal, Lord of Destruction, etc.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
It didn't have to be post-endgame. It could have easily been standalone expansion, but accessible from the base game should people want that.

Lacrymas

Arcane
With shitty bite sized DLC.

When the fuck did people lose taste for meaningful expansions? No more Throne of Bhaal, Lord of Destruction, etc.

Seeing where this is headed, the bite-sized DLC won't sell or have high completion rates either.

Mustawd

what does that even mean, to sell wm as dlc instead of large expansion pack ?
i thought it was precisely what they did by cutting it in half to begin with

I’ll see i can find the quote later (from an interview), but basically the thinking is people are more used to DLC format than expansions of WM’s size. So I guess the implication is that WM1/2 were too large as standalone expanions? I don’t know. I’ll look for that quote. Maybe he explains himself.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I’ll see i can find the quote later (from an interview), but basically the thinking is people are more used to DLC format than expansions of WM’s size. So I guess the implication is that WM1/2 were too large as standalone expanions? I don’t know. I’ll look for that quote. Maybe he explains himself.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=10317

Mustawd

http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=10317

You are quick Infini.

• [*]Feargus also regrets splitting the Pillars of Eternity: The White March expansion pack into two halves. He says the full expansion took about three months longer to finish than originally planned, an additional 500,000 dollars in development costs. The delay was both due to complications caused by the split and due to a failure to account for the manpower required to support the base game.
    [*]Feargus says that the White March expansion wasn't priced competitively - people would rather buy an AAA game on sale for $10 than an expansion pack for $15 or $25. Future Eternity games will use a Fallout: New Vegas-like DLC model, with more, smaller and cheaper releases.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Feargus The Confused said:
  • Feargus also regrets splitting the Pillars of Eternity: The White March expansion pack into two halves. He says the full expansion took about three months longer to finish than originally planned, an additional 500,000 dollars in development costs. The delay was both due to complications caused by the split and due to a failure to account for the manpower required to support the base game.
  • Feargus says that the White March expansion wasn't priced competitively - people would rather buy an AAA game on sale for $10 than an expansion pack for $15 or $25. Future Eternity games will use a Fallout: New Vegas-like DLC model, with more, smaller and cheaper releases.

This is exactly what I am saying is happening! He's trying to compare his game to the AAA releases, how can he be so delusional? The fanbase of such games won't rather buy the latest AAA garbage, no matter the discount!

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Feargus The Confused said:
  • Feargus also regrets splitting the Pillars of Eternity: The White March expansion pack into two halves. He says the full expansion took about three months longer to finish than originally planned, an additional 500,000 dollars in development costs. The delay was both due to complications caused by the split and due to a failure to account for the manpower required to support the base game.
  • Feargus says that the White March expansion wasn't priced competitively - people would rather buy an AAA game on sale for $10 than an expansion pack for $15 or $25. Future Eternity games will use a Fallout: New Vegas-like DLC model, with more, smaller and cheaper releases.

This is exactly what I am saying is happening! He's trying to compare his game to the AAA releases, how can he be so delusional?

Well, he was delusional enough that he almost bankrupted his company, so his delusion goes pretty deep.

Jezal_k23

Doesn't look like the fanbase for these games is showing up to buy Deadfire either, let alone the DLC.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom