Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Anyone else getting weapon sets constantly defaulting back to unarmed? It's annoying as shit when I only notice after combat has started.

Jezal_k23

Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss I read that. The explanation sounds a bit ex post facto to me. It also doesn't account for the counterexamples, like DOS2 for example.

Wonder if it would have done better at its original April release date (which handily was before Frostpunk and BattleTech).

Anyway I think at a minimum it's looking like a sure thing that if Obsidian ever make another isometric game, it will jump on the D:OS multiplayer wagon like Wasteland 3 did. (Eternity Nights with a modding toolset?)

I think DOS2 succeeded due to being a unique blend of twitch friendly, pretty, polished, looking superficially tactical enough to seem difficult and turn based which people seem to digest better than RTWP.

I've seen some mainstream reactions to Deadfire's RTWP combat, and they basically amount to "WTF I'm supposed to control all characters at the same time??????"

duanth123

Arcane
Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss I read that. The explanation sounds a bit ex post facto to me. It also doesn't account for the counterexamples, like DOS2 for example.

Also, this may sound ridiculous, though I firmly believe it.

Many people, possibly a surprisingly large number, buy games simply for the novelty of having purchased them. To be a part of a momentary zeitgeist in a manner that offers no strain on their discretionary income (to the extent they infrequently purchase games at all, or of that genre) i.e. no real investment that would otherwise suggest a return customer status moving forward.

To maybe putz around a bit with the first few hours and then lose interest.

As in , those sales for the original Grimrock or D:OS or Banner Saga were always to some extent preemptively non-replicable .

Which would explain the whole achievements trend observed of POE and other RPGs.

So, what VD is saying but even more so. That from the moment of purchasing POE they never intended to play the sequel, and quite probably have forgotten about the series altogether by the time the sequel hits, rather than the idea of customers just assuming it is "more of the same", which implies they even really cared to or in fact did play the original game to begin with.

Last edited:

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Steam charts aren't looking so hot.

If it does flop, I wonder why? It's had a solid marketing campaign, good long-term fan engagement, it's an established IP, it got a 90% Metacritic average, and it's got all the buttsecz these millennials seem to enjoy, so ... what could have gone wrong?

oh and it's a pretty good game too

What solid marketing campaign? The only things I've seen about this game was those updates from their kickstarting campaign, otherwise there was nothing. Larian was all over the place with D:OS 2, IGN, Gamespot, PCGamer, big banners all over the place, this game had nothing of sorts, not even a tiny ad in the steam page corner.

Seethe

Arbiter
There's inbred jackasses bitching about muh SJWs in this game as well? What ever happened to "don't get offended like a pussy for no reason"? You need the fucking rope, more than you claim that the SJWs themselves need it.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I already pointed out that Paradox did a much better campaign for PoE than Versus Evil have for Deadfire.

Grab the Codex by the pussy
There's inbred jackasses bitching about muh SJWs in this game as well? What ever happened to "don't get offended like a pussy for no reason"? You need the fucking rope, more than you claim that the SJWs themselves need it.
That’s like saying that it’s okay for muslims to come to our country and disseminate values that are against ours. If you are complaining about this you are not man enough and deserve the rope. Complete idiocy and inversion of values.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's also worth noting that nobody is talking about D:OS2 anymore, even the Codex's thread is a ghost town.
Because it's a shit RPG you either force yourself through, or drop midway.

But you know what's even deader than the game? Their custom modules community.

I easily see myself crossing 300 hours with Deadfire. If I did that with PoE, why not with a better game.

Seethe

Arbiter
It's also worth noting that nobody is talking about D:OS2 anymore, even the Codex's thread is a ghost town.

Game doesn't have much replayability. If they fix initiative (lol) I will give it another spin.

Malpercio

Arcane
Most of the things that appeal to people in videogames are pandering. Do you think all those hot women in impossible clothes that want to fuck YOU, you big stud of a player are not pandering? Seriously "It's pandering" is one of the most moronic and out of touch argument someone can come up with.
The problem is not the pandering of fantasy setting and common tropes, but the promise of these traditional themes "improved" by the modern sensibilities of developers that dislike these themes and despise their target audience.
Are you actually suggesting PoE2 devs hated working on the game?

Prime Junta

P2 is clearly a better game than DOS2 and may well have a fatter tail. It’s unlikely that’ll make up for a bad launch until too late to make much difference.

Seethe

Arbiter
That’s like saying that it’s okay for muslims to come to our country and disseminate values that are against ours. If you are complaining about this you are not man enough and deserve the rope. Complete idiocy and inversion of values.

Please bend your neck forward.

Bocian

Arcane
Since when pointing out a certain fact equals being offended? I don't see anyone shitting bricks and lighting torches. This tasteless degeneracy deserves to be named and laughed at, that's all. Judging by the tone of your entry, it's you who appears to be upset - and t's not surprising.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I already pointed out that Paradox did a much better campaign for PoE than Versus Evil have for Deadfire.

I don't know if it was Paradox, but it did feel to me that especially after Katrina left, Obsidian just disappeared off the earth for a while, only re-emerging when they announced the Critical Role stuff.

They had this cool-looking game to show off, they should have made more videos and trailers of it.

Grab the Codex by the pussy
I am not suggesting anything. I am saying in the open that the director of the game wanted to do something else and complained about cRPG players being too traditional. This is a business, guys. They are not cRPG players like you. In fact, they probably despise you. Don't be naive.

Please bend your neck forward.
Me? You are the one that already bended, cretin. Be open and accept anything, and dismiss any criticism. See where that anything goes attitude lead you. They will hijack your culture completely and leave nothing but a corpse behind.

Seethe

Arbiter
Since when pointing out a certain fact equals being offended? I don't see anyone shitting bricks and lighting torches. This tasteless degeneracy deserves to be named and laughed at, that's all. Judging by the tone of your entry, it's you who appears to be upset - and t's not surprising.

Please, this is exactly why it's past the point of no return with you lot. "Pointing out facts" is what SJWs claim that they do all the time. The last thing I want to see is yet another buzzword spouting "fact checker", telling me that I'm upset just because I am tired of seeing his "facts".

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
They don't really say that though. As far as I know, the question of whether homosexuality is 'normal' historically has more to do with the political climate than with actual science.

It's perfectly clear that the roots of human sexuality are in biological reproduction and that therefore no type of sexuality that doesn't lead to reproduction can be anything other than a paraphilia. All of us here know that, and so do even the most pink haired writers of Bioware. If you were to ask them what is the point of libido, they probably won't mention anuses.

These aren't two sides of the same coin because there is no coin, there is only evolution.

We treat homosexuality differently because it involves consenting adults and plus generally speaking we want everyone to feel what it's like to love and be loved. And that's ok, it really is. But it's also ok to be disgusted by it.

Yes, they do say that because it's an observable fact a lot of species exhibit homosexuality. Science does not have the authority to make moral judgements or claim that something or other is unnatural (or whatever the buzzwords today are). It's also a proven fact that people (and some other species) don't only have sex for reproduction and claiming otherwise is absurd and actual agenda pushing. Sex might lead to reproduction, but in most cases it doesn't. Saying "but muh evolution" doesn't mean anything, evolution is not a conscious entity, if a person doesn't reproduce then they don't reproduce, that's it. People are free to be disgusted by whatever they want, but they should be aware of the fact the problem is them in this context, not the thing they are "disgusted" by. There is no sane argument in the world that can "prove" otherwise.

Sex is indeed for reproduction but in old days they used infertile days to fufill they degenerated needs and not to produce because reasons.Problem is with danger hair obsidian writers who spam their ideological agenda into video games because games reach milion(s).

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
I don't know if it was Paradox, but it did feel to me that especially after Katrina left, Obsidian just disappeared off the earth for a while, only re-emerging when they announced the Critical Role stuff.
Maybe it's because Katrina's departure was unexpected.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I am not suggesting anything. I am saying in the open that the director of the game wanted to do something else and complained about cRPG players being too traditional. This is a business, guys. They are not cRPG players like you. In fact, they probably despise you. Don't be naive.
Go direct your own game that sales ~ 1 million copies when you are so smart than. :lol:

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Because it's a shit RPG you either force yourself through, or drop midway.

But you know what's even deader than the game? Their custom modules community.

I easily see myself crossing 300 hours with Deadfire. If I did that with PoE, why not with a better game.

Dead? The game had like 11k players online today, so much for a dead game that was released like 1 year ago, you delusional retard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom