Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
Can't wait for Deadfire to bomb so we never again have to argue about new isometric cRPGs in the future. Because besides Black Geyser, who will try to reanimite this genre ever again? We will discuss how PoE 1 never lived up to it's hype and replay BG 2 till end of time. And so it begins:

gggg.png

Sentinel

Arcane
Didn't Josh say that the spell lists would be in its majority new stuff with a couple returning spells from PoE1 to make the lv1-16 grind fresh?
I don't think I've seen a new spell so far on Aloth aside from those 2 spells on the last row.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
So, I carefully did not installed it after the release because I did not want to be the gamer sucking bug joy out of the launch event.
What's the appropriate date for me to install it? Is next year ok?

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
So, I carefully did not installed it after the release because I did not want to be the gamer sucking bug joy out of the launch event.
What's the appropriate date for me to install it? Is next year ok?

I need you to install this game and play it like you were always meant to. Not tomorrow, not next year, NOW.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Wait, why thread called now "Pillars of Eternity 2: Storm of Eothas" instead of "Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire"? New dlc (although it known well, that dlc has different names) or they reveal plot in the name of game? Why they changed it? What did I missed?

fobia

Wait, why thread called now "Pillars of Eternity 2: Storm of Eothas" instead of "Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire"? New dlc (although it known well, that dlc has different names) or they reveal plot in the name of game? Why they changed it? What did I missed?

Because it's Storm of Zehir in good?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
So, do y'all know if there's a general problem with savegame-import-reactivity, or does it just happen to some people?

Vela doesn't appear on the first beach if you import. Should probably be fixed by Tuesday.

I'm stuck on the first island because the Engwithian arena crashes the game. Fuck.

2house2fly

Magister
The funny thing is they made Eder one dimensional. Before it was like this down-to-earth dude that also likes animals, and doesn't that add his character depth? Now it's like extreme animal rights activist. Sure make him criticise petty animal cruelty, that's cool but going towards mass starvation as a crew is just retarded.
Does he specifically say that he would rather starve than hunt and eat a whale, or is it more that he disapproves of the action regardless of its necessity to survival?

Sentinel

Arcane
Storm of Zehir reference

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
The funny thing is they made Eder one dimensional. Before it was like this down-to-earth dude that also likes animals, and doesn't that add his character depth? Now it's like extreme animal rights activist. Sure make him criticise petty animal cruelty, that's cool but going towards mass starvation as a crew is just retarded.
Does he specifically say that he would rather starve than hunt and eat a whale, or is it more that he disapproves of the action regardless of its necessity to survival?

It's just one of those Telltale ''Eder dissaproves'' messages, but that still adds to his negative feelings toward you, so it's dumb and unnecesary to make him such wuss.

Grab the Codex by the pussy
You guys are over-dissecting this game. In the end, characters and the story are not the selling point of the game. No one outside of hardcore fans cares about either. yeah, citation needed. But I haven't seen any real interest in "eora" or shit alike.
You are overthinking, believe it or not the people who are superfan systemfags that adore IE for its depth of RTWP combat are rare. Most people that play RPGs play them for other reasons. I couldn't careless if this game was turn-based or not, I have no love for IE.
This. In a game where you are travelling the world with a team of adventurers the personalities of the NPCs are like important. Pretending that no one will notice how stupid your companions are because they only care about the combat is really silly. This is not some strategy game. It's an attempt to emulate BG2, one of the first animu coulorful waifu simulators in the genre.

Can't wait for Deadfire to bomb so we never again have to argue about new isometric cRPGs in the future. Because besides Black Geyser, who will try to reanimite this genre ever again?
There are at least a dozen other studios making isometric games and they are all more interesting than Obsidian. You need to go out read other threads more.

It's not a flop. It's not simply as explosive as everyone it thought it might be, for whatever reason. For one, it is quite pricey. For two, it's a direct sequel to a game that few people really finished. And finally, it is a niche game to an extent. Give it time and it will sell okay and make a tidy profit.
You need to consider that they invested much more money in the sequel and had fewer backers. That games on steam keep selling forever is a given. The original Fallout sold absurd amounts. Hell, even Primordia is selling to this day. The question is whether they will reach the numbers to keep the studio afloat in the meantime because they have hundreds of employees, and most of the profits of this game will most likely going to the owners' bank accounts instead of being reinvested. I sincerely doubt that there are so many suckers out there to buy those horrible IWD clones that they will sell after this.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
PoE2 is not going to win any awards or acclaim for writing, but it does satisfy a certain itch. I am not sure how to articulate it. For me, the game hits on some of the same notes as Morrowind in the sense that I can just fuck off from the main story, explore a couple island chains, slay random monsters/bandits, and find hidden treasure. It does enough things reasonably well enough that I want to keep going.

Now, if only it could create the alien atmosphere of playing Morrowind for the first time.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Apparently it received a high praise from codexers - "barely shit"

Obsidian will never have another soundtrack this good, though:

Main theme by Might & Magic's Paul Romero, the rest by an external studio that Obsidian never used again (what a waste). Alexander Brandon from Unreal Tournament and Deus Ex was their in-house audio director back then.

Fun fact: Storm of Zehir was PoE2 lead designer Bobby Null's first game at Obsidian. So maybe the similarity isn't a coincidence.

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
So have anyone tried experimenting with multiclassing wizard / ? , looking over it i would guess that the best combination would be a chanter? But then again is it worth it due to the loss of the lvl 8 / 9 spells?

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Storm of Zehir reference
Oh, thank you very much for explanation. I was a bit confused for a moment.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
So have anyone tried experimenting with multiclassing wizard / ? , looking over it i would guess that the best combination would be a chanter? But then again is it worth it due to the loss of the lvl 8 / 9 spells?
Hard to say, as I have heard that max level wizard is very strong. One strong combination is apparently Spellblade (Evoker/Assasin), where you cast fireballs and iceblast from stealth for mega damage.

Currently, I am experimenting with Priest of Eothas/Evoker. My plan is to chain cast Avatar/might/perception buffs and Meteor Shower and/or other evoker spells. This certainly is a late stage plan, but until then I do still have a flexible caster with respect to heals, damage, buffs, and summons.

Last edited:

2house2fly

Magister
I'm not far into the game, but I don't like the increased sense of urgency in the main quest. I'm supposed to be chasing pillars of luminous adra to find and stop Eothas. I have been ordered by a god to do so. What reason do I have to do anything but that? In the first game the main quest centered around eventually going mad which could be years away, and the hollowborn crisis which had already been going on for a long time, and the only agenda you had to follow was your own. It was much easier to rationalize "blowing off the main quest" and going on adventures because, as the only agency acting upon the main character, the "main quest" is whatever you want to do. New Vegas's main quest understood this as well. In this game, presumably my character should be getting scared that the god who wants her to complete her quest will be angry if she drags her feet. Especially since I just had a cutscene with said god (btw why does Woedica just hang out with the other gods now, and why is her name pronounced differently) where she specifically said "get on with it we don't have all day"

Parabalus

Arcane

Wizard / x is great for all martial classes since wizard spell buffs are superb. Assassinate from rogues applies to spells.

For castery, chanter seems good since the class happens while you do your usual wizardry thing. Wizard grimoires take pressure of your ability points since there are ones who have all spells you could want, so you could focus on priest or druid. I wouldn't take cipher, no good self buffs and you don't get focus by spells.
You will probably synergy from subclasses to beat out straight wizard for pure pew pew though.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So, do y'all know if there's a general problem with savegame-import-reactivity, or does it just happen to some people?

Vela doesn't appear on the first beach if you import. Should probably be fixed by Tuesday.
I don't remember what I did with the child in PoE1. Since I know I slaughtered these Ethik Nol assholes at some point, it just might have been because of the child. But that's just a guess, nothing more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom