Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Classic sexist uncle Edér.
Wait, wasn't he supposed to be "wink-wink nudge-nudge racist"? Are they piling up all the negative traits on him because he is the white man?

Mazisky

Magister
Lel, they've found a valian Npc called "Rinco", Josh should be careful with all this faux italian because.."Rinco" means "retarded" in my language

Mazisky

Magister
It's nice to see there are many cities other than the main one who are not tribe villages. Game prob is huge

ArchAngel

Arcane
SO you people dont want to play deadfire since you are watching spoilers??/
Why would we want to play Bugsidian's game at release?
Have you learned nothing yet?
And if a IE inspired game cannot get you to play it even with knowing the story it is not worth playing anyways.
Bg1 and Bg2 were fun to play for 20th time even after you knew all little details of every NPC.

Ulfhednar

Savant
SO you people dont want to play deadfire since you are watching spoilers??/
Not our fault that Obsidian kept all this stuff secret for over a year and then let some twitch streamer spoil the game a week before its release.

I signed up for the backer beta, but apparently I have to pause his YT video to see the stats for high level abilities.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I concur, most of golden age sci-fi is absolute garbage, and the so called "masters" of the era are usually pretentious, self-fellating hacks. I consider exploring that era as a reader to be at top 10 of most wasted time of my life.

Meaningless boasting without explanation. So you have read it after some modern day sci-fi wizards, do you?

hasn't aged wel

And what does it mean? People can imply different things by this - someone is mortally wounded by lack of mobile phones and such in the future.

Witcher 3 is an excellent game, as long as you don't ask of it things it can't do.

At least you didn't call it RPG...

All this sci-fi talking set me in a mood, post your top 10 suggestions (titles, not authors) if you care
I’ll name 5 older ones:

1. Roadside Picnic by Strugatsky brothers
2. Peace on Earth by Stanislav Lem
3. Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein
4. The Man in the High Castle by Philip Dick
5. City by Clifford Simak

A fucking monocled list! Cudos.

they're taking from things that take from things from the fables.

And that chain is much longer, like "things from games which takes from games which take from movies which take from books which takes from earlier boocks which takes from myths".
What's important here is a books - that's the source where you can take, movies comics etc is already recycled stuff.

The thing is, in Russia, there were different western sci-fi landscape - some things were translated but not all, and what was translated was probably considered as god thing.
Maybe something wasn't because of publisher's business.

How Frederik Pohl is considered in these days at West?
Also, whay you guys think about Roger MacBride Allen The Shattered Sphere?
Last good science-fiction I gave read.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The turn-based tactical genre is still
rating_prestigious.png
right?

Right guys?

:negative:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The evidence has been stacking in favor of it not being good. It will be functional, but repetitive and lacking in imagination or any kind of mastery over this medium. Pretty sad, but there you go.

Parabalus

Arcane
One thing that annoys me but is maybe irrational (though certainly less irrational than complaining about starting the game at level 1) is that your previous character's appearance isn't imported, it looks like you begin character creation completely from scratch. I would prefer to have my character's race, background and culture imported, and then edit them as I want

I always assumed this is how the import would work - you import your previous char, it's set to closest Deadfire equivalent, then you get to change everything. :negative:

Fucking :balance:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Most of the time the truly great writers don't even lower themselves to "genre writing" like fantasy etc

Well, in Soviet literature exist dividing between sci-fi and fantasy, first is what called "hard sci-fi", second is what fairy tales, myths is.
So, what do you mean by fantasy?
Because why it's a common thing that fantasy is considered as lower genre, in USSR sci-fi was a serious genre, that dealt with serious issues through fantastic method.
So I think sci-fi and fantasy being a lowest genre is attributed to quality of a writers that write in it, not to genre itself. At least that's true about sci-fi, fantasy is a problematic in put serious question and answering it, at least in its modern state.

Romancing sword sound like euphemism for suicide.

In more educated society probably.

It is really depressing how boring it have become the game/movie music. Only good orchestral music is from paradox....oh and SpellForce 3.

Hear this. Someone posted it after Battletech was released. It's miles above all that shit.

About why total VO is bad.

1. It ruin your readings, because to read is mich faster then to listen.
2. Like was said, text at one language, VO at abother - same.
3. Cost a lot of money that could be used elswhere
4. Ruin the image of that character that you created for yourself
5. Stop your imaginations from developing because of 4.

Last edited:

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
There is definitely a track playing on the stream that's from PoE, or nearly identical.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom