Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BATTLETECH - turn-based mech combat from Harebrained Schemes

Cael

Arcane
Save for a few grognardian neckbeards who still think that measuring "line of sight" with a laserpointer is in any way an acceptable mechanic, nobody should take much of an issue with that.
Considering that the tabletop game only requires a map with hexes on it, I find this line a rather fascinating, if twisted, view of BTech players.

However, it illustrates perfectly the HBS style of thinking when it comes to CBT TT players, and verifies my claim that they have nothing but contempt and hate for the very fans of the franchise that gave them the initial hype. What a sad indictment of HBS' marketing department. What a contemptible company.

Bohr

Arcane
Something to bear in mind if you encounter any... strange pvp opponents

jDRYXSjC_o.png

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
This is confirmed to be the best BattleTech game of all time.
Not that there is much in terms of competition.:lol:
Well how are we to define that anyway? Personally though, I'd say MechCommander for example is a better game, now that I finished this game (speaking of which, one of the things to bitch about is that the game's name makes for a lot of confusion about if one is talking about the franchise, the setting, the tabletop game, or the video game; it's a fucking nightmare).

To start with, in my opinion and tastes I feel the way difficulty rises up just feels wrong, it often feels unfair rather than challenging. It takes away from sense of accomplishment and progress when your new acquisitions end up being overshadowed by the way odds against you are raised at the same time. The problem isn't so much the fact there's more enemies, that I feel is par the course, main thing is really just that the numbers combined with enemy pilot levels I feel take away from the enjoyment. This is of course 100% subjective, as vast majority of matters of difficulty are. Still, the end result is that by the end of the game I mostly just felt exhaustion and relief from slogging drudgery of the 65+ ton plus latter near-half of the game, rather than elation and joy at the end of a satisfying journey.

The big issue with the game to me is more of a structural and purpose. Namely, its primary goal of being a tactical game. I believe the game would have been greatly improved by focusing on being an RPG rather than a tactical game (or vice versa). The freeroam skirmishes and linear campaign eat each other and reduce the quality of both. The free roam skirmish thing gets old really fast due to the limited scope of maps and objectives but most impotantly the limited number of ways you can approach your goals (a comparison even if not a fitting analogy due to different genre of gameplay would be the side mission structure of MGSV where the more elaborate level design and freedom of approach work in advantage of the game). Meanwhile, the linear campaign is better but it lacks variety and fluidity. Obvious comparison would be MechCommander, which has a fun and extensive campaign that it devoted full resources to crafting out.

But to me, the focus on tactical and management gameplay over HBS' strengths is probably the biggest disappointment, and one I honestly knew would be coming. Simply put, I don't think it was the right decision at all to have random hired help for MechWarriors. It's a step back to Shadowrun Returns when compared to Dragonfall and Hong Kong, the superior HBS games. Having a defined and fleshed out core party and supporting characters in a HBS game would be something I'd greatly prefer, as I figure a crafted linear campaign would be. A mission editor and a means to integrate it to the campaign to replace the free roam skirmish aspect would have been better in my opinion. And I feel a lot of these things have the fundamentals present in the game (like, there are some interesting elements to the story and your crew, they are simply very rudimentary and lacking in fleshing out because they were not the focus of the game), the problems I have are rooted in the early decision to what direction the game would develop in which ruled them out.

So overall, decent game, better than Shadowrun Returns but not even close to Dragonfall or Hong Kong.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I believe multishot didn't trigger once

Not sure what you mean, multishot is an active ability, you have to activate it manually, select opponents then weapon split...
Yeah I wasn’t explicit because I mentioned it before. What I’m talking about is my attacks on target B appeared to not execute after target A was destroyed. But as I said, I had the “Hide UI during attacks” option checked, which is a horrible default. Keeping the UI on is a great way to learn the mechanics and see potential weak spots in your opponent develop.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Here you go.
Reparer-une-voie.JPG

This one even has barbarians!

Disclaimer: It is a Silmarils game, so it has awesome atmosphere, and beautiful graphics, but the gameplay can be clunky at times. That said, machine gunning barbarian mammoth raiders is fun for a while. I was a Silmarils fanboy back in the days.

Transarctica_3.png

10/10

EDIT;

Here's an important question IMO: What will your opinion of this game be if you enter with Harebrained Schemes' Shadowrun games as your baseline of expectations?

Battletech : Mech Fall will be the big one that everyone raves about. Battletech : Sian Underworld will be my personal favorite and feature the best atmosphere and soundtrack.

Cael

Arcane
Battletech : Sian Underworld will be my personal favorite and feature the best atmosphere and soundtrack.
Hmm... Playing as a Maskirovka operative in a FPS game where you hunt down traitors during the 4th Succession War? Sounds like fun :D

FUCK! That would give the fuckers at HBS all the wrong ideas...!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Battletech : Sian Underworld will be my personal favorite and feature the best atmosphere and soundtrack.
Hmm... Playing as a Maskirovka operative in a FPS game where you hunt down traitors during the 4th Succession War? Sounds like fun :D

Don't worry mate,they don't read this forum. They would get hearth attack only by reading the first page. Too much anti pc here. A nice thick skin is needed for reading the forum.

Cael

Arcane

Don't worry mate,they don't read this forum. They would get hearth attack only by reading the first page. Too much anti pc here. A nice thick skin is needed for reading the forum.
That's the problem. They are Goddamned sjws. They DON'T read the first page. They just read the LAST page and think they know everything! Quick, bury this thing fast!

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Not sure what you mean, multishot is an active ability, you have to activate it manually, select opponents then weapon split...
Yeah I wasn’t explicit because I mentioned it before. What I’m talking about is my attacks on target B appeared to not execute after target A was destroyed. But as I said, I had the “Hide UI during attacks” option checked, which is a horrible default. Keeping the UI on is a great way to learn the mechanics and see potential weak spots in your opponent develop.
Did you pick weapon for target B? Click on each weapon on bottom right to cycle which target you wanna hit with each weapon. It took me a while to figure it out, the tutorial didn't make clear of this at all.

agris

Arcane
Patron

Did you pick weapon for target B? Click on each weapon on bottom right to cycle which target you wanna hit with each weapon. It took me a while to figure it out, the tutorial didn't make clear of this at all.

yes.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Simply put, I don't think it was the right decision at all to have random hired help for MechWarriors. It's a step back to Shadowrun Returns when compared to Dragonfall and Hong Kong, the superior HBS games. Having a defined and fleshed out core party and supporting characters in a HBS game would be something I'd greatly prefer, as I figure a crafted linear campaign would be.
Totally agree, they wanted to make a mercenaries game and a linear campaign at the same time, the linear campaign really doesn't fit on this game. It would be far more interesting for you to manage your mercenary group making alliances with different houses, earning reputation or losing reputation, maybe going as a pirate, it would be far more interesting.

I just don't know if a full linear campaign would be better, the writing on this game is inferior to the shadowrun games. I was really bored with all that nonsense and blowing up mechs on the random missions was more tolerable. I don't see the point of the main story, the game tries to pretend you care about this nonsense and it is just MEH. The characters seem to had been created on a random character generator, every time I hear Darius Oliveira, I can't stop laughing and I'm a brazillian, I don't feel represented by this crap of randomly attributing names from random countries while everyone speak English and the culture of those countries mean shit on the other fucking side of the galaxy on 3025.

Oliveira is a fucking common name on Brazil, it is a generic name, at least fucking choose a cool sounding portuguese name to fill your tokenist quota you ignorant sjw fags. No self respecting brazilian would think Oliveira is a cool name to name character.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Totally agree, they wanted to make a mercenaries game and a linear campaign at the same time, the linear campaign really doesn't fit on this game. It would be far more interesting for you to manage your mercenary group making alliances with different houses, earning reputation or losing reputation, maybe going as a pirate, it would be far more interesting.

I just don't know if a full linear campaign would be better, the writing on this game is inferior to the shadowrun games.

They could improve the writing. It's by the same guy who did Dragonfall, the talent is there.

But yes, those are two different directions they could go in. My hunch is they'd prefer to improve the mercenary sandbox game (fits more with Paradox's approach as a publisher) but if at some point there's a new campaign they might have an opportunity to improve the writing too.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Finally the 1.0.2 patch fixed some of the memory leaking and sligthly improved the performance, now I can play without having to wait 1 minute to change my shitty robot colors.

darkest dungeon with mechs. how glorious would that be? but without a loss state, i want to be able to rebuild up after a bad mission instead of "you lost your best man, you don't know it yet but you lost the game".

almondblight

Arcane
I wonder if one of the reasons why Dragonfall was good was because it was a smaller team. Andrew McIntosh was the lead writer for Dragonfall, SRHK, and Battletech, but in the later two it seems he had to split much more of the writing with others (and the writing ended up being worse). Likewise, Mike McCain was only the sole lead for Dragonfall, having to share Director credits with Mitch Gitelman for SRHK (and Gitelman only brought him on part way into production, IIRC) as well as sharing lead responsibilities on Battletech.

That's one reason why I wouldn't necessarily expect a "Dragonfall" for Battletech. It's possible that it's not just about including the people who made Dragonfall a success, but also about not watering the team down by filling it up with a bunch of less talented HBS employees.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom