Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex Interview: Chris Avellone on Pillars Cut Content, Game Development Hierarchies and More

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
creatively exhausted

This actually occurred prior to the development of Pillars of Eternity. :troll:
I'm not proud of the joke, but it was a too good opportunity to pass up

Some evil minded people would say he was already creatively exhausted some years prior to that, but let's not think such negative thoughts... :D

For a moment I had forgotten I'm an "Obsidian fan boy" :lol:

Yes, you made the highly original riff first. Thank you for being sure to bring this to my attention. I'm deeply sorry for dishonoring my family by infringing your copyright. Here is a banana sticker:

c1766f504b.png

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Cliques tend to form when people work together for a long time.

However, Chris doesn't necessearliy need to be in contact with Josh himself in order to learn that Josh would be planning on leaving.
True on the communication part. It could be through the grapevine.

As for the clique, Obsidian has been open for 10+. Plus, my impression was that other owners/partners sided with Festermake over Avellone. If I recall Avellone's post correctly, there was a sit down between he, Festermaker, and someone else, and I reckon that is a situation other partner/owners would sit in on.

Last edited:

Kaivokz

Arcane
Given his recent talk, his complaints about being so stressed out about DF that he put on a lot of weight, and his comments on creative exhaustion, I would be mildly surprised if it's not Sawyer.
To which recent talk are you referring? I only remember catching his short GDC presentation, but he didn't discuss stress or exhaustion.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Carnarium

Novice
Wow so Chris implying that his old buddy, Josh Sawyer, will leave Obsidian soon to join forces with him and Levine? Feargus losing all rockstar developers one by one, kind of sad really.

2house2fly

Magister
If there is anything I will miss from this thread when it's all over, it'd be Blaine's 'Inconceivable' edits.
I was hoping to get in a "I do not think it means what you think it means" but before I could he stopped posting them

AwesomeButton

Patron
Wow so Chris implying that his old buddy, Josh Sawyer, will leave Obsidian soon to join forces with him and Levine? Feargus losing all rockstar developers one by one, kind of sad really.
He hasn't implied anything. Just us speculating.

iguana_trader

Novice
Well, another longtime lurker here - I remember intensely following Scottish Martial Arts story (a translady on the road to finally unshackle herself from her bonds only to find another type of prison, seemingly where the freedom was supposed to be), Satori's meltdown (?) which gave us an insight into his inner world (that ass was nicely spankable) and all of that, no matter how arousing, did not make me join the RPGCodex magazine.
This however, is a one in a lifetime happening. It's like watching a civilization fall, at first you are shocked, but then you enjoy the ride and await the future.
Thank you, Codex (and Chris).

Father Foreskin

Learned
Sawyers best talent is to replace a good developer taking his time with fast mediocrity. This happened at Midway when he replaced John Romero and later at Obsidian when he technically got Avellones influence. Sawyer will never make the historical darklands clone because he knows it would suck. He needs to go somewhere to replace somebody. He might be leaving after all

Starwars

Arcane
As a slight sidenote, I'm pretty amazed by people who work in the same place for 10+ years. Don't mean that in a snarky way at all, just have a hard time imagining it myself. Though I guess it's different at a game studio for example where you work on a specific project for a while and then move on to another. More "breaking points" from project to project I suppose. But still.

I've worked with some retarded people (and I'm sure some of them thought I was retarded as well), and just the thought of spending more than 10 years with them is... ugh.

Prime Junta

As a slight sidenote, I'm pretty amazed by people who work in the same place for 10+ years. Don't mean that in a snarky way at all, just have a hard time imagining it myself. Though I guess it's different at a game studio for example where you work on a specific project for a while and then move on to another. More "breaking points" from project to project I suppose. But still.

I've worked with some retarded people (and I'm sure some of them thought I was retarded as well), and just the thought of spending more than 10 years with them is... ugh.

I've been at the same place for 17 years this year. Too chickenshit to leave.

Also, CEO is not a psychopath, I like many of my colleagues, and I've gotten into a pretty cushy role where I basically get to grump at people for money. It's not a bad gig.

Starwars

Arcane

I've been at the same place for 17 years this year. Too chickenshit to leave.

Also, CEO is not a psychopath, I like many of my colleagues, and I've gotten into a pretty cushy role where I basically get to grump at people for money. It's not a bad gig.

That sounds really nice of course. But don't you ever feel... like, constricted? Like you just want to get the fuck out and do something completely different with completely new people?

Prime Junta

That sounds really nice of course. But don't you ever feel... like, constricted? Like you just want to get the fuck out and do something completely different with completely new people?

Um... yes? Sometimes. Today, for example.

But in reality I've only gotten close to doing that once. I also talk to people in the industry quite a lot which makes me realise that things could be a lot worse.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Once you pass three years, for many people it's like they've always been there and they settle down for much longer.

Lexx

Cipher
I dunno, I'm at my place for about 4 years now and if I wouldn't be so lazy, I'd quit on the spot.

v1rus

Arcane
Well, since this thread has taken a far more pleasant "ask Chris Avellone himself" turn, Ill give it a try.

Which would be your top 5 or 10 games when it comes to writing, excluding your own work? Then, what games highlight the artistic capabilities of the medium the best? Would they be the same as those with the best writing or not, and why.

On an unrelated note, what did you think of Witcher 3? :M

Starwars

Arcane
4-5 years have been my limit in the past, at that point whatever annoyances exist (whether it's procedures or bad workmates) at the working place tend to become more prominent for me and I just feel it's time to get out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom