Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
How very respectful of them to do AMA on a subreddit for Critical Role, instead of, I don't know, fucking interacting with their own fanbase on some gaming subreddit, or a Pillars subreddit for that matter.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
That AMA is weird. I get that it's from the perspective of Critical Role fans, but they seriously don't seem to understand how voice sets work.

In Pillars 1, many characters had banter with one another about race, religion, etc. Will VM be able to join in on this banter? Not only VM-with-VM banter, but for example, will Eder or Aloth be able to comment on Keyleth’s antlers, or Vex’s bear companion Trinket?"

So I guess we're now appealing to buyers who are dumb enough to think 'voice set' = obsidian imported the characters in their entirety from Crtitical Role and created full-fledged companions with interactions, etc. based on them?

Ent

Savant
Theres someone on the beta board that wants on demand stat respecing. What kind of rpg allows you to get away with that shite?

santino27

Arcane
Patron
Theres someone on the beta board that wants on demand stat respecing. What kind of rpg allows you to get away with that shite?

Well, POE allows it for the PC and custom chars at any inn for a nominal fee.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
From that thread:

Couple questions.

1. Does Pallegina consider herself Male, Female, or Non Binary?

2. Are romances gender locked? If so can they be toggled to allow any gender to romance anybody?

3. Are there any transgender characters in the game?

Really hitting the correct audience for this game with these full voice acting.

There is at least some incline amongst the decline of faggotry.
jesawyerObsidian 17 points 4 hours ago

1. As in Pillars of Eternity, Pallegina in Deadfire continues refer to herself as a woman, but also pointedly calls herself a "brother" (or "frero") in contrast to people who call her "sérre" (sister). As for what else is in her head, it is a mystery.

2. Each companion who has a romance (not all do) has preferences based on what the writer believed the companion would have. I will not spoil which characters have romances and what their preferences are, but I will say there are characters who are interested in same-sex romantic relationships.

3. There are no characters I can think of who outwardly identify as transgender.

Tenebris

Scholar
The new armors look great but what's with them all slowly getting shoulder pads as they upgrade?

santino27

Arcane
Patron
The new armors look great but what's with them all slowly getting shoulder pads as they upgrade?
Shoulderpads are the true mark of quality.

Unique armours will have multiple sets of shoulderpads. (Look out for that adventurer... even his shoulderpads have shoulderpads!)

There will be a quest to determine which of the shoulderpads are real and which were just made up to make people think shoulderpads had been there all along.

Technically, shoulder pads (or in this case, armour) are an upgrade over not having shoulder pads. Also requires more material/work to make (in the fictional world), so I can see them fitting into the progression from what is basically just a breastplate or vest.

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane
Dude, open world 3D RPGs are some of the most expensive games around. I don't know why you're distinguishing between a Bethesda style open world and a Witcher 3 or Far Cry 5 style open world; from a development perspective they're very similar. I always see people throw around $85 to $90 million as the cost of making and marketing Skyrim. Fallout 4 cost more.
You're wrong. Bethesda's open-world games cost a fraction of what it takes to develop other triple-A games. The bulk of the development budget of triple-A games is spent on mo-capped cutscenes and high production values, neither of which are present in Bethesda games. Rockstar and Ubisoft games are made by a 1000+ employees working from different studios across the world, while Bethesda's games are made by a team of around a 100 employees.

The Witcher is an entirely different story. While it does have high production values, it has the advantage of cheap Polish labor, which is an advantage other triple-A studios don't have.

This is purely talking development budgets. Marketing budgets are a different story, obviously.
Ok, but don't forget that modders are responsible for about 150% of all manhours spent developing Bethesda games.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
From that thread:

Couple questions.

2. Are romances gender locked? If so can they be toggled to allow any gender to romance anybody?

1. As in Pillars of Eternity, Pallegina in Deadfire continues refer to herself as a woman, but also pointedly calls herself a "brother" (or "frero") in contrast to people who call her "sérre" (sister). As for what else is in her head, it is a mystery.

2. Each companion who has a romance (not all do) has preferences based on what the writer believed the companion would have. I will not spoil which characters have romances and what their preferences are, but I will say there are characters who are interested in same-sex romantic relationships.

3. There are no characters I can think of who outwardly identify as transgender.
eh obsidian has always handled this kind of things well from arcade gannon even the lesbian couple in tyranny.

They never really felt token ish like biowarean character and they are just people who happens to be homosexuals.

cruelio

Augur
I do enjoy Paradox games but it takes a seriously long time before they reach a state of being 'complete games'.
What ? That was true for EU3 or Victoria 2 but since CK2 they're fine at release.
Vanilla EU3 has basically nothing going on.

Legendarily fine on release games like Hearts of Iron 4, EU4, and Stellaris.

Ironically, the one that was fine on release, CK2, was then fucked up with the worst DLC ever invented. Thanks for adding India instead of refining the half baked shit still in the part of the map that had CRUSADER KINGS.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Respecialization is garbage that should never be in any RPG to begin with. One of the hidden joys in life is fucking up your character and leaving them in a dark corner as a reference of what not to do on any future characters you create. It's like when people go into college or university for some useless trash such as gender studies and wind up having wasted their time and money and now shine shoes or cut off chicken heads in the middle of the street to try and turn a profit. They didn't do their character right, they fucked it up, now they're paying the consequences.

That's life and a great RPG should embrace that feeling of inner turmoil that is, "I spent 20 hours and my character can't shoot for shit, can't disarm traps and now he's in a life or death situation with a wild dog. How did it all come to this?"

Now most people today would never fly with that and will throw a bitch fit of, "But I hate wasting my time, it's too important and I can be doing other things instead." That's when someone like Josh Sawyer should be like, "Too bad. That's the way it is, punk. Don't like it, then go load up Getting Over It and play a game more your speed, kid."

Ideally, an AMA would disintegrate into the developers calling all the casuals a bunch of thin-wristed pussyboys and to man up and embrace their dogshit theorycrafting and need to cowgirl off other people's builds.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
I do enjoy Paradox games but it takes a seriously long time before they reach a state of being 'complete games'.
What ? That was true for EU3 or Victoria 2 but since CK2 they're fine at release.
Vanilla EU3 has basically nothing going on.

Legendarily fine on release games like Hearts of Iron 4, EU4, and Stellaris.

Ironically, the one that was fine on release, CK2, was then fucked up with the worst DLC ever invented. Thanks for adding India instead of refining the half baked shit still in the part of the map that had CRUSADER KINGS.
None of them was as shallow and pointless as vanilla EU3 though.

Thonius

Arcane

Respecialization is garbage that should never be in any RPG to begin with. One of the hidden joys in life is fucking up your character and leaving them in a dark corner as a reference of what not to do on any future characters you create. It's like when people go into college or university for some useless trash such as gender studies and wind up having wasted their time and money and now shine shoes or cut off chicken heads in the middle of the street to try and turn a profit. They didn't do their character right, they fucked it up, now they're paying the consequences.

That's life and a great RPG should embrace that feeling of inner turmoil that is, "I spent 20 hours and my character can't shoot for shit, can't disarm traps and now he's in a life or death situation with a wild dog. How did it all come to this?"

Now most people today would never fly with that and will throw a bitch fit of, "But I hate wasting my time, it's too important and I can be doing other things instead." That's when someone like Josh Sawyer should be like, "Too bad. That's the way it is, punk. Don't like it, then go load up Getting Over It and play a game more your speed, kid."

Ideally, an AMA would disintegrate into the developers calling all the casuals a bunch of thin-wristed pussyboys and to man up and embrace their dogshit theorycrafting and need to cowgirl off other people's builds.
While I agree with you in spirit... I don't have time to rerol chars and go trough prologues.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
From that thread:

Couple questions.

eh obsidian has always handled this kind of things well from arcade gannon even the lesbian couple in tyranny.

They never really felt token ish like biowarean character and they are just people who happens to be homosexuals.
That is true,most of the time you don't even know that they are faggots around. As a whole i don't mind a faggot here and there as long as it is not too much and preachy.

Tenebris

Scholar
I wonder how they're going to handle the companions sexuality. From the AMA it seems like at least two of the female cast will be lesbian/bisexual.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
https://www.reddit.com/r/criticalrole/comments/8cpydj/comment/dxh13nm

(Q) Hello there! You've gone to many different worlds over the years, from Star Wars, Fallout, and many places in between. My question is, what would you like to explore next? Any chance we'll get a Discworld or Firefly game?

(kdollarhyde) Speaking only for myself, I'd love to work on a space horror immersive sim in the vein of Prey, SOMA, or Alien: Isolation.

Pizzashoes

Scholar
Yes, but what about their racial preferences? I wouldn't want to start boning some elf chick on one playthrough and then find out on another she's also interested in aumaua.

If anyone managed to trawl through reddit for that information I would appreciate it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom