Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
The naval combat being handled entirely through static CYOA screens looks pretty boring, to be honest, and will likely get old really fast. They should've looked to a game like FTL for inspiration. Despite the low-budget assets it was working with, it did a really good job in making its ship-to-ship battles feel hectic and visually exciting while still letting you micromanage everything (and funnily enough, it's also RTwP).

I am glad it's CYOA and not like FTL (I love FTL), if anything FTL type of chaotic reactive action would get boring extremely fast. It works in FTL because FTL is a rogue-lite-like-whatever which has overall gameplay mechanics that are tied to its style of combat. I don't think it would work in a RPG like this.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's also questionable what this thing adds to the game. If there were a handful of scripted ship battles (maybe with the most famous and infamous captains of the Deadfire), where you are controlling your party and you get to interact with and shoot the cannons and board the other ship, then it would've been very cool, but this seems unnecessary and I predict I'm going to do it once and then skip all of them.

Last edited:

Sizzle

Arcane
It's (in large part) a pirate-themed game, and you get to act like a pirate - hunting down ships and raiding them.

I doubt it's going to be that big of a part of the game. At most, maybe it will tie in to some bounties, and maybe some factions (like the Principi) will have a quest where you have to get rid of the "competition".

But I'm guessing they'll add an auto-resolve button to those naval battles sooner or later.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
CYOA naval combat and exploration works quite fine in Nantucket, and that's an entire game. Here it will be broken up with regular dungeoneering and and adventuring and what not.

Last edited:

Morkar Left

It's (in large part) a pirate-themed game, and you get to act like a pirate - hunting down ships and raiding them.

I doubt it's going to be that big of a part of the game. At most, maybe it will tie in to some bounties, and maybe some factions (like the Principi) will have a quest where you have to get rid of the "competition".

But I'm guessing they'll add an auto-resolve button to those naval battles sooner or later.

What about trading/smuggling? Something like that?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath

Sure, but it's not a pirate game, if you see what I mean. How does this tie to the other systems or gameplay? They could've introduced raiding ships or strongholds some other way that is more in line with the rest of the game. You don't always get better results by piling more and more tertiary systems or mini-games that don't gel well with everything else. Think of Caed Nua in P1, pointless, doesn't make sense in the grand scheme of things and it even detracts from the whole.

Last edited:

Mazisky

Magister
Other than random quest "find X ship and loot it", who doesn't like the system can skip naval combats and be fine. All happy

Sannom

Augur
THE MULTI-QUOTE FEATURE WORKS AGAIN! ALLELUIA! I'M SO HAPPY!

LET'S NOT BREAK IT AGAIN, HEY?

Are there any good-looking people in the game or is it only going to be Eder again?
This is trash. From the username and all the way down to the tastes in women.

If you want to look at ugly yet real women, just behold this horrifying man-jaw.
She would probably be prettier without that distracting shade of red on her lips.

Krzysiek

Learned
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire/updates/596
Update #44 - Making Pillars II Gorgeous
POSTED: 02/02/2018
Greetings, Watchers! First, in case you missed it, we have exciting news: A release date! Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire is coming out on April 3rd, 2018. Start the countdown. It's on the way! You can freak out now, we totally understand. We'll hang out here a bit.

Back? Excellent!

With the announcement of a release date comes pre-orders. Why would we talk about that here? You, as our backers, get the pre-order items! St. Drogga's Skull, Beakhead the hawk, and the Black Flag will all be yours when Pillars II launches in April.

http%3A%2F%2Fd1079ywfijtdjs.cloudfront.net%2Fdeadfire%2Fnews%2Fdeadfire-preorder-ingame.gif

We are very excited to be able to talk about the release date and push toward getting the game in your hands. For now, let's get to the update portion of this Backer Update. In this update, we wanted to show you just how far our artists have pushed Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire forward from the original game. Let's join Katrina as she walks us through those changes.

Birds! Sorry, we got a little caught up in the video. Going off of that video and from what Katrina said, an update for the closed Backer Beta is now live. If you are in the Backer Beta, check out the changes in the Backer Beta section of our forums. We value your feedback, so be sure to let us know what you think of the new changes.

We also have great news for Backers, as the pre-orders are now available for Deadfire you are now able to redeem your Backer Keys from the Products Page of your Eternity Account Profile. This will allow you to have your copy of Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire to be in your library of choice to be ready for April 3rd.

In a few weeks, we'll be back with an update that will go in-depth into the ship system, so stay tuned for Update 45!

Be sure to join the conversation for this update on our forums. If you missed Update 43, check it out here!

Sentinel

Arcane
Played with the added ship mechanics a bit. Here are a few screenshots:

Approaching a ship.

q94rJSx.jpg

Various naval combat options.

2V0k4zn.jpg

Fire torpedoes cannons!

IWKy1FF.jpg

The ship management screen (this replaces the old Caed Nua screen)

M7nRveV.jpg

The combat is all about positioning and knowing when to turn/advance/fire off a round of cannonballs. Ship type, equipment, and crew composition will definitely play an important role.

It seems like it could be a fun little addition, and will probably be optional most of the time.
can you have custom flags (ie modded)?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Redeemed.

I guess a season pass will be added later? Can't see that option.
Nvm, my order info shows everything.

Last edited:

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Redeemed. I spent way too much money on this fig, so I sure hope the game is good.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
From the looks of it,that ship thing could get old really fast. But for me the bigger problem is the creeping sjws in the portrait. Hope that the game is good.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Looks like this game is going to be a repeat of Assassin's creed Black Flag where the base game is just totally overshadowed by how the how awesome ships are element. Those screenshots holy moly

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom