Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Fairfax

Arcane

Last edited:

Beastro

Arcane
(2) The aspiration to build Rome rather than tend your garden is pretty utopian.

Rome's are built when enough people focus on their own gardens instead of wanting to all be the leader that brings their people to that state in a glorious lifetime.

2house2fly

Magister
When he left Obsidian I thought they were holding him back and now he'd really show everyone who the true RPG god was. Anyway this sprite tank game looks cool

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
goddamnit chris do something worthwhile for once you fat married butthole
He is making Pathfinder: The Kingmaker, the best crpg of the last decade. What else do you want from him?

How much work is he actually putting into it? I got the sense that his role isn’t super hands on.

When he left Obsidian I thought they were holding him back and now he'd really show everyone who the true RPG god was. Anyway this sprite tank game looks cool

Same. I love MCA. He’s a genuine RPG auteur. If he doesn’t want to use his talent to make another PS:T style magnum opus, that’s his choice to make—good for him if he can support himself by doing a little piecework here and there. But as a fan it’s hard not to be disappointed.

I get that he was burned out post Obsidian. That said, it’s been, what, two years now? Three? Hopefully he’ll run out of money soon and need to get back in the game.

Efe

Erudite
he ha a hand in kingmaker hell yea! cant wait to find another grobnar in linzi

Doktor Best

Arcane
I've got that feeling that he will be involved in Fallout 5. It will be interesting to see wether or not he can turn the Bethesda writing team into something that produces an actual narrative.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I've got that feeling that he will be involved in Fallout 5. It will be interesting to see wether or not he can turn the Bethesda writing team into something that produces an actual narrative.

Oh please, you are talking about the company that managed to make turn Kirkbride's acid driven ramblings into Disney middle ages.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
It will also be interesting to see how he'll do in a first person shooter which is what Fallout 5 will be

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The issue I see with Avellone's post-Obsidian work so far is not so much that he's doing "small things" but that he seems to quietly slink away from projects after pre-production ends (ie, when the real dirty work begins). Which means even the small things he does tend to get washed away. He's not in it for the long haul.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The issue I see with Avellone's post-Obsidian work so far is not so much that he's doing "small things" but that he seems to quietly slink away from projects after pre-production ends (ie, when the real dirty work begins). Which means even the small things he does tend to get washed away. He's not in it for the long haul.
Isn't he still creative lead for the System Shock reboot or did something happen? Noticed he doesn't list it in his twitter bio anymore.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Hopefully he’ll run out of money soon and need to get back in the game.
He can probably coast by for the rest of his life doing small things for other peoples' projects.

But he just got married. When he starts pumping out little baby Avellones he’ll probably need the money. Or maybe he’ll start working full-time again just to get some peace and quiet. Besides, do you really think he can keep getting paid at human-stretch-goal rates if he rests on his laurels for the remainder of his career?

Why would he stick around when he’s a hired gun who doesn’t seem invested in most of these concepts? “Hey, I finished my two characters, that’s all you paid me for. Avellone out.” This is a healthy attitude for work-life balance, but it’s a sad loss for the industry. it’s like if Martin Scorsese decided he was only going to do a little cinematography every now and then for other directors rather than making his own movies.

Hopefully he’ll run out of money soon and need to get back in the game.
He can probably coast by for the rest of his life doing small things for other peoples' projects.

But he just got married. When he starts pumping out little baby Avellones he’ll probably need the money. Or maybe he’ll start working full-time again just to get some peace and quiet. Besides, do you really think he can keep getting paid at human-stretch-goal rates if he rests on his laurels for the remainder of his career?

Speculating on how much wealth he has is incredibly futile. For all we know his salary was 90% of Obsidian's budget before he left.

Fairfax

Arcane
That's not the case with Prey, Into the Breach, Pathfinder and System Shock.

Isn't he still creative lead for the System Shock reboot or did something happen? Noticed he doesn't list it in his twitter bio anymore.
His bio has the character limit, but it's odd that he'd remove System Shock when he could've used more acronyms. Maybe he's just not working on it at the moment.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Lots of talk about individual contributions, or the magic sauce that led to great games, how old hats have lost their stuff, why things went to shit.

Environment and dedication to craft are paramount in my opinion. You can even be not very good at something but have a burning desire to make something great and be in the right environment. There also needs to be some discomfort and something to learn. If those are all present, a team can achieve incredible shit. Heroes are born in these environments.

Once the environment changes, the heroes sometimes lead and correct the trajectory, or they leave. The changes don't have to be bad, they just have to be enough that the magic is gone for the hero.

Last edited:

Fairfax

Arcane
His bio has the character limit, but it's odd that he'd remove System Shock when he could've used more acronyms. Maybe he's just not working on it at the moment.
MCA:
ran out of space, although I haven't needed to work on any milestones for them for a while. Also, I occasionally shuffle projects around depending on what stage they're at, too, since I can't fit them all on the profile. :/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom