Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Celebrating the Death of the Braindead Cinematic Cover Shooter

Ash

Arcane
Well yeah, I said most TPSs are cover based, not were cover based.

But it doesn't really contradict what I said, most (not all, I know there were some exceptions) older TPSs had auto-aim (Tomb Raider, SOCOM), most with manual aiming like Winback made you stand still to shoot. Cover systems are just a shittier, modern version of stop 'n pop.

No? Auto aim and stop and pop was present mainly in the 90s, yet even back then when mouselook and sticks weren't necessarily present we had TPS such as MDK, Heavy Metal Fakk, Duke Nukem: Zero Hour (a personal favorite), Jet Force Gemini, Star Wars: Shadow of the Empire, Die Hard Trilogy, Die Hard Trilogy 2, Duke Nukem: Time To Kill, and Ghost in the Shell, from the top of my head. No auto aim lock-on, no forced standing still to fire your gun. In the 2000s when mouselook and sticks were firmly established without exception, complete freedom of aim was even more commonplace...and we got gud shit Like Max Payne and plenty others.

Last edited:

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Actually, what are casuals hyped for nowadays? Cinematic experiences seem to be less of a popular thing to look forward to nor do they seem to be selling as they used to, with the exceptions of sequels to critically received games like Uncharted and TLoU2. I can already predict that the new God of War reboot will fall completely flat on its ass because gamers who knew the old God of War games for their (button-mashing) combat will be turned off by the abnormal focus on story. I guess open-world sandboxes were the newest meme, but even that well is running dry after continuous milking by Ubisoft and other lesser developers.

Multiplayer shooters like Overwatch, and PUBG are dominating top player charts, but those are one-off successes whose clones won't attain a single iota in popularity since the only reason anyone plays the aforementioned games is because everyone else does. MMO hybrids like The Division and Destiny 2 have failed to meet the publisher's expectations rather miserably, and 2017 was pretty much the year of the community backlash with games like SWBF2, ME:A and Destiny 2, injecting a healthy dose of cynicism in the modern gamer audience. I don't really know what people are hyped for for the next E3, aside from whatever stuff Bethesda, Blizzard and Rockstar put out (and now CD Projekt RED too I guess) which casuals almost always lap up without question.

It's very much incline now that AAA developers no longer have a single trend to follow which they can shamelessly copy and profit off, what with the obvious decline in interest of the trends of old and the failure of clones like Agents of Mayhem and Battleborn. The AAA market is becoming much more diverse than it used to be, and story-focused games nowadays mostly find their audience (and funding) in the indie market.

Ash

Arcane
Actually, what are casuals hyped for nowadays?

Far cry 5 and Red Dead Redemption 2 are probably the most anticipated (and strongly marketed). So it is indeed marked incline over the braindead cover shooter even though both these games are highly likely to be mediocre.

That and TLOU2, which is still one small step up from the worst of the worst.

sullynathan

Arcane
but those are one-off successes whose clones won't attain a single iota in popularity
Someone hasn't been paying attention to Fortnite. It's huge.
Didn't the last Call of Duty fail? That might be why the cancermatic shooter crazed slowed down.
Newest COD game is selling quite well. Either way, there are new shooters that have popped up on the block in the past 2 years with Overwatch & PUBG.
I can already predict that the new God of War reboot will fall completely flat
These guys actually think they fulfilled the promise of making a western game with combat as good as a Japanese one

Deflowerer

Arcane
Most third person shooters are cover-based because third person shooting is awkward when you're moving, especially up close.

Never had such problems in MDK, Max Payne or Suffering.

It's only awkward with a gamepad. On PC, you could be doing somersaults and barrel rolls in midair and you could still headshot everything around you.

As much as I think Resident Evil 4 is one of the greatest action games of all time, it's just painful truth that both FPSes and TPSes are constrained by the gamepad controls.

Last edited:

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
...no it isn't. 3D shooters existed for more than a decade on consoles just fine before the decline era hit and snail pace braindead cover shooters became the norm. And as I explained here way back, PC shooters back in the early to mid 90s were played with the keyboard only, using directional or num keys to aim. That is a vastly inferior method of play than what a PS2 controller was capable of, let alone modern pads
Lol no, those of us who knew what we were doing have been aiming with the mouse since Wolf 3D.

sullynathan

Arcane
You plebs argue too much, the god has spoken

hidekire2.jpg

Ezekiel

Arcane
What has Kamiya added of worth to the third person shooter? He hasn't even made any, from what I can see. Forced over the shoulder is boring in a pure shooter. Why the hell would you prefer that over the ability to run and gun with a wide field of view AND have OTS as an OPTION?

Oh, he's probably talking about the new God of War. His taste is worse than I expected. The OTS view didn't do any favors for Hellblade. Boring game. If you wanna be able to fight off enemies on multiple sides, a free camera makes more sense.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom