Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

AMG

Arbiter
Kinda wish I hadn't read these last few posts ... learning that the real way to play is to cheese the level scaling systems is very disheartening. Maybe I'll try the game on Beginner again so I don't have to resort to such bullshittery.
You can play normally and succeed on expert/expert as long as you know what you're doing. The scaling is actually well tuned in my experience and for the most part you can tackle what the game throws at you. And if you can't, just ditch the contract and move on, it's no big deal. Fooling the system is entirely unnecessary.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Kinda wish I hadn't read these last few posts ... learning that the real way to play is to cheese the level scaling systems is very disheartening. Maybe I'll try the game on Beginner again so I don't have to resort to such bullshittery.
I've never really cheesed the level scaling stuff tbh, at least not intentionally. Used to run with a fairly small party and I *think* that might have had an effect (smaller enemy parties for a while at the beginning). At some point it became not-so-feasible unless you get lucky with armor early, and of course now with more badass bandit marksmen, well.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
The more you play BB, the more you know about it, the more visible shortcoming become and in the end you see how much this game is lacking.
Some guy on Steam forum write that BB is better than its look. Quite opposite.
This game is simply not that good like it look(and I adore how it look). Not even half that good as it look.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I'm sure many veterans know how useful a Monk can be - I didn't until my current playthrough.

A monk can settle the fight between Hedgeknights without your whole company suffering wounds or even injuries.
Calm down a Wildman when he makes trouble in a town.
Ease the fears of a superstitious Bro when he wants to spend hundreds of coins on a fortune teller (both even got +1 resolve permanently instead)
Knows what to do when a women is accused of witchcraft.
Burn her!:fight: Several brothers got very happy about it... .:greatjob:
Teaches 'Dumb' brothers.
Has - at least - two 'along the road' events that made Bros gain moral.
'Cures' Bros of the 'Greedy' trait.
Etc. .

Get a monk, mine must have saved me several thousand coins and general inconveniences.

Zanzoken

Arcane
It is hard to find a Monk who can actually fight though. I've only had one in any of my campaigns and he was mediocre.

But I guess since they don't cost much you could probably just keep one as an advisor who never sees action.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Also if anyone is looking for another seed to try, I am currently having a good run with 957401.

The map has two citadels, two cities, and a variety of settlements with a decent amount of services. Well balanced factions and wildlands covering the eastern half.

And for a big bonus, the map is really easy to traverse thanks to a well developed road system and a whopping 7 harbors.

https://i.redd.it/u1lz6wfuwc001.png (stolen from Reddit obviously)

Starting bros are decent although I did cut Axebro loose for having the Pessimist trait. I have an admittedly irrational dislike for that one.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
The more you play BB, the more you know about it, the more visible shortcoming become and in the end you see how much this game is lacking.
Some guy on Steam forum write that BB is better than its look. Quite opposite.
This game is simply not that good like it look(and I adore how it look). Not even half that good as it look.
That can be said about majority of games. Few are those who keep giving after even a long time of playing and we call them classics, masterpieces, etc... Battle Brothers isn't one of them. It's still one of the best tactical combat system in existence on computer. But one system even a crucial one doesn't a great game make.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Do the dispositions of the noble houses have any in-game effects?

I'm guessing no because the "good guy" nobles just offered me the quest where you pretend to be a raider and attack one of their villages.

Last edited:

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Do the dispositions of the noble houses have any in-game effects?

I'm guessing no because the "good guy" nobles just offered me the quest where you pretend to be a raider and attack one of their villages.
You mean their descriptions?
I do not thinks so.

Also there was interesting thread on Steam forum.
Remember when some guys(including me) suspect that some types enemies have different subtiers under one name?
It look that they were right. Some guys did pretty extensive checking and it looks that for example Raiders as game progress get upgraded/replaced by a same name unit with better stats(and better weapon subsets).

Zanzoken

Arcane
Interesting. That's a shame because level scaling is just a cheap imitation of proper game progression. So many other creative ways of tackling this issue.

vota DC

Augur
Still high level bandits are less dangerous to high level bros than low level bandits to low level bros.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Sure.
But then you have crossbow armed Marksmen.

Interesting. That's a shame because level scaling is just a cheap imitation of proper game progression. So many other creative ways of tackling this issue.

I am playing Dragon Dogma right now. When you start game even goblins(typical RPG weak ones) pose a threat. Then there are monsters and strong enemies. But when you level up and get better equipment and get good you start stomping them.
Its good because player feel progress and difference in strength. One can and will become stronger. That annoying bunch of bandits that kick your ass earlier and you avoid them? Now you can kick their asses. Clear progress and satisfaction.
BB lack this.
World have no permanence. Its not like you go see Red Baron and his elites and run as fast as you can only to come back later and kick his ass. There is no system, no mechanics in this game that have any deep.
Only cheap tricks.

Last edited:

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Sure.
But then you have crossbow armed Marksmen.

I am playing Dragon Dogma right now. When you start game even goblins(typical RPG weak ones) pose a threat. Then there are monsters and strong enemies. But when you level up and get better equipment and get good you start stomping them.
Its good because player feel progress and difference in strength. One can and will become stronger. That annoying bunch of bandits that kick your ass earlier and you avoid them? Now you can kick their asses. Clear progress and satisfaction.
BB lack this.
World have no permanence. Its not like you go see Red Baron and his elites and run as fast as you can only to come back later and kick his ass. There is no system, no mechanics in this game that have any deep.
Only cheap tricks.

I share this sentiment, level scaling is the worst.

I don't agree that BB lacks the sense of progress and becoming more powerful though, you'll get stronger and stronger until only the Black Monolith, the Great Goblin City and maybe a large Orc Camp even pose a threat. I wouldn't be shocked if there was some form of scaling going on - I often noticed bigger numbers of enemies when my Company got more than 6,8,10 Bros, for example - but I'm skeptical about Enemies themselves scaling.

I started 2 playthroughs of Dragon's Dogma and abandoned both after about 30 hours because I got bored with the combat and grind. Probably should have played a Rogue or Wizard instead of a Sword and Board Fighter both times... .

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
http://store.steampowered.com/news/externalpost/steam_community_announcements/2163281492532574956

Update 1.1.0.7
11 DECEMBER - RAPSDJFF

Collected minor improvements and bugfixes for issues that you guys reported since the last update.

Changelog
  • Changed name of Fallen Hero without head to 'Headless Fallen Hero' to make it more clear that this is intended behavior.
  • Fixed rare issue with fresh undead becoming untargetable during the Undead Scourge endgame crisis.
  • Fixed initiative penalty due to waiting not being applied correctly.
  • Fixed Necrosavants not dropping Shimmering Ashes.
  • Fixed 'Horrific Scream' of Geists being subject to height level restrictions.
  • Fixed potentially wrong reward amount mentioned in one of the 'Drive Away Bandits' texts.
  • Fixed Black Monolith being selected in one of the 'Find Artifact' twists as the new target.
  • Fixed AI sometimes being confused on swamp terrain.
  • Fixed incorrect tooltip hint for muddy ground and plashy grass on swamp terrain.
  • Fixed 'Split Hand' injury not being affected by 'Hold Out' perk.
  • Fixed news about conquered settlements in the noble war crisis sometimes arriving too late and preventing other events from firing.
  • Fixed various minor issues.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Puzzling things:
(1) - the raider gaining +5 melee skill between rounds 2 and 3, despite being equally "inspired" in each round (unless thrusts from spearwall have an unstated -5 penalty?)
(2) - raider melee skill seemingly being inflated in proportion to the accuracy of the weapon that's wielded (here, 93-98 with a spear, vs 72-81 with a warbrand in the previous example)

>Working as intended. The raider's melee skill is static, but melee defense gives lower returns, the higher it is, so it can't necessarily be used to infer an attacker's melee skill in this way.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/365360/discussions/1/1500126447399758535/#c1618346571420431903

Jesus Christs.

Humanophage

Arcane
The design of some aspects of the game is oddly poor. E.g., individual brothers cannot flee, while individual opponents can. The AI is impossibly tedious, and instead of fleeing when the odds are impossible, opponents keep running back and forth at an incredibly slow pace (especially in a forest). I don't understand how people play BB without also doing something else, like listening to a podcast, because you'd die of boredom chasing the futile AI. On the other hand, it is also not a very good game for audiobooks because you pay dearly for minor mistakes and taking risks to speed up the process (contrast that with Civilization).

The concept is great on paper, and I spent a fair amount of time playing it, but the flaws are too intensely irritating. I tried to start playing it again, and it simply is not enjoyable for reasons outlined above.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Missing 2 95% to hit attacks in a row with the same guy is always rage inducing. Especially when said guy ends up dead.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
That 95% is not the final product of melee calculations, it is one factor among many in determining whether you hit or not is it not?

Luka-boy

Arcane
Update 1.1.0.8

10377f6038cbfa77aa3b8b0e1cdd078de41641b7.jpg

A few more minor improvements and fixes.

Changelog
  • Changed a few things to further speed up AI turns with the 'Faster AI Movement' option turned on.
  • Fixed Lindwurm DLC not working properly with Steam Family Sharing.
  • Fixed characters not being content with being in reserve while they're sick.
  • Fixed rare issue with contracts from permanently destroyed settlements.
  • Fixed various minor text issues.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It starts to annoy me that they went into this "radio silence" and they only pop out some small patches now and then...
BB was by far my goty, I'd really like to know if these guys are working on sth else or not

Reinhardt

Arcane
BB was by far my goty, I'd really like to know if these guys are working on sth else or not
In art thread on their forum art guy said
I’m pretty busy working on the new game, busting out concept and prototype art left and right. As much as I would like to show something it’s still way too early in development to share any infos.

November 28 though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom