Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Six Ages: Ride Like the Wind - King of Dragon Pass spiritual successor

Endemic

Arcane
In KODP thrall revolts could be a problem, the main benefit was that they used less food. Their children were born free though, so you had to capture thralls to get more or sustain their numbers.

Liquorice

Educated
I'm glad they're taking their time.

One thing I'm really hoping for is more music variety. The music in KoDP was good, but there was so little of it that pretty soon it became unbearable. The same tracks looping over and over drove me crazy, I had to mute the game and look up "Celtic music" mixes and the like on YouTube, and play them in the background.

Endemic

Arcane
One thing I'm really hoping for is more music variety. The music in KoDP was good, but there was so little of it that pretty soon it became unbearable. The same tracks looping over and over drove me crazy, I had to mute the game and look up "Celtic music" mixes and the like on YouTube, and play them in the background.

An option to play custom music would fix that. :)

Liquorice

Educated

An option to play custom music would fix that. :)
Not really much difference between that and just having YouTube or a music player open.

Endemic

Arcane
Not really much difference between that and just having YouTube or a music player open.

They could make a 2 hour OST instead of a 1 hour OST, but I don't think that's really going to make or break the game. I'd rather the resources were spent on gameplay mechanics instead.

Liquorice

Educated
They could make a 2 hour OST instead of a 1 hour OST, but I don't think that's really going to make or break the game. I'd rather the resources were spent on gameplay mechanics instead.
I agree that it wouldn't be something worth sacrificing too much time or resources on. They're likely long past it anyway, it seems they worked on the music quite a while ago.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
I was printing out lineart for the post-release-update scene yesterday and it dawned on me how long it's been since I've last done that part of the process. (I also printed it out wrong the first time, exported the file at 200% size instead of 120%. How embarrassing!)

I really enjoyed working on this thing and I hope it's successful, so we can start working on the next one soon.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Why isn't this in all of the lists of most anticipated games of 2018? Did A Sharp piss off the wrong people and get blacklisted or something?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Because there still is no actual game.

They are teasing and teasing, but refusing to really reveal anything.

It’s definitely Glorantha, you’ll find some elements will definitely be recognisable.” David pointed out that there’s a 700-page source-book on the world of Glorantha, a vast body of lore that King of Dragon Pass only touched upon. He was able to confirm that Six Ages will be delving into different, previously unexplored aspects of the setting. “I think that’s safe enough to say. Yes. But other than that, you’ll have to find out! [laughs]”

“Basically, it’s the same thing, only better. And hopefully, a little bit more approachable. King of Dragon Pass was a very difficult game. And we certainly don’t want to be dumbing it down, for our new game. But we’d like a few more people to be able to complete it.”

So more of the same, but easier, same art, same music, little smarter coding. Beyond that? No-one knows yet.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Yeah, but this is KoDP we're talking about. More of the same is still better than 99.5% of the indie hipster bullshit that's being put out on the market today.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
A decently sized group of playtesters is playing the game, but they're under NDA obviously.

I think some people were disappointed by the (admittedly imperfect) Steam port of KoDP by HeroCraft.
And it's not just the port, some players simply dislike that David went in and removed some little bits he felt were redundant in the game.
I've seen these fans say they won't buy Six Ages based on the mobile/Steam KoDP release.

But yeah, basically nobody's talking about the game, because we've not revealed anything.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Removed? That's like W10 removed some important feature of W7...

C'mon when you are making a game, you spend effort to make these features. For some developers removing feature is like removing theirs own children.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A decently sized group of playtesters is playing the game, but they're under NDA obviously.

I think some people were disappointed by the (admittedly imperfect) Steam port of KoDP by HeroCraft.
And it's not just the port, some players simply dislike that David went in and removed some little bits he felt were redundant in the game.
I've seen these fans say they won't buy Six Ages based on the mobile/Steam KoDP release.

But yeah, basically nobody's talking about the game, because we've not revealed anything.

What got removed? Never played the Steam release.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
IIRC the tula view (which is a shame, because it's lovely) due to some UI constraints on mobile (not sure though - I just know it's not gonna be in Six Ages. I tried to prototype it in art, but it was too much work for too little payoff, apparently. That one screen in KoDP has a ridiculous amount of assets and way too much programming went into it back in the day, according to David.)
And a few of the strategic elements, like recruitment of crafters got axed. (because David didn't feel like it was important to the focus of the game, iirc.) Some simplifications like that are also present in SA.

But generally I don't think people play KoDP for the strategic elements and the number of crafters, or to raise and slaughter goats.

Oh, I think we talked about this in one of the blogs - KoDP often had more than 3 options in scenes, 4 and more. I think in SA we've gone with generally 3 and sometimes more. And it doesn't feel like a "nerf". (because I know someone will see that as dumbing it down. It plays fine.)

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Don't expect SA to be the second coming of the messiah, massively innovative, or grognardy and you won't be disappointed. It's a cool game very very similar to KoDP, with some of its parameters set up differently.

Raapys

Arcane
That's sad. I played it mostly for the strategic elements. The stories were nice and everything, but more side quests than the real meat of the game. The strategy element was an optimization problem that was very fun to try and solve.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
That's still there, but some parts are a bit more abstracted and joined up. Plus there are a few new features in it that we haven't talked about.

If you go back in this thread, I posted a few tweets by our chief tester and one of them was about trying to keep a human sacrifice clan running.
There are different ways to play your clan, like there were in KoDP.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom