Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Looking for a Roguelike like ToME

In all honesty I have only played two roguelikes seriously.

One was NEthack (with the vulture tileset -> very decent polish ). The corpse eating mechanic was wicked fun.

And the other is ToME. Tome has so much character customization that i love it to death. Playing a Cursed Rampage Bump-attack player is so much different than other melee classes like mindslayer /afflicted/sun palladin for one. (I find casters p. shit compared to melee builds. too much reliance on arcane eye/track that it becomes tedious at later stages)

Is there any other rogue-like out there which can gives character customization like tome?

PS: I already tried Dungeons of Dredmor and the 2 tile PC just pisses me off for some reason. so excluding that

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
In all honesty I have only played two roguelikes seriously.

One was NEthack (with the vulture tileset -> very decent polish ). The corpse eating mechanic was wicked fun.

And the other is ToME. Tome has so much character customization that i love it to death. Playing a Cursed Rampage Bump-attack player is so much different than other melee classes like mindslayer /afflicted/sun palladin for one. (I find casters p. shit compared to melee builds. too much reliance on arcane eye/track that it becomes tedious at later stages)

Is there any other rogue-like out there which can gives character customization like tome?

PS: I already tried Dungeons of Dredmor and the 2 tile PC just pisses me off for some reason. so excluding that

You could try Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. There is some character customization. Brogue, however, is simpler with not too much character creation.

PrettyDeadman

DCSS, Caves of Qud.
DCSS can get a bit samey if you tend to do a lot of end game stuff optimally (since there are almost no restrictions to what can be learned, only how fast it can be learned), but it has a lot of races (with different mechanics, not just stat differences), classes, skills, items, different abilities and different ways to attain power.

Infra Arcana and Brogue are good ones, but don't have as much character customization.

Infinitum

Scholar
Sil/Q-Sil are just wicked polished roguelikes, nowhere near as featurebloated as tome though. Pretty sure ToME (as in tales of middle earth) 2.x.x is also still semi-maintained? Angband and its myriad variants are always a contender, albeit after Brogue/Sil I find them uwieldy and inelegant. Stonesoup is probably closest to what you're looking for, haven't played it for years though so no idea what it looks like now.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Stone Soup/ADOM if you want something similar, Caves of Qud if you want something better.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Caves of Qud looks really neat, even though I haven't touched a roguelike in my life. I'm curious, though.

gestalt11

Arbiter
dcss is pretty good but its character custumization is radically different than tome. In a nutshell in tome if you want certain spell you can just plan out your build but in dcss you have to find that spell, there are no classes and your species has more affect how directing playstyle than your starting background. In the end there can be alot customization but it way different compare to tome or nethack.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom