Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix what is this... World of Final Fantasy?

Duraframe300

Arcane
Currently on my way to finishing the game. Gotta say, enjoyed it quite a bit. Even the writing.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I haven't played it yet, but at least the combat system looks good in this one, and judging by the few opinions here it is indeed good.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Apparently, it's set in a world called "Grymoire" ?

Fascinating. They went at extreme lengths to avoid a lawsuit.

Miner 2049er

Scholar
I have an inhuman JRPG tolerance, but I'm not a fan of the chibi style at all. I understand they had to find a way to fit all the past FF characters into one art style. I have to admit it's growing on me. A lilikin sitting on a FF VI-like mech has something going for it.
If the chibi style is keeping you from trying the game, give it a chance, it may grow on you or you're developing a higher tolerance.

I found the gameplay to be marvelous. It feels like a mix of FF VI to FF IX. The areas you're traversing are beautiful and just ooze Final Fantasy. The gameplay really outshines the story and characters.
I didn't dare to hope to experience the ATB system in a new Final Fantasy game again.

I have never played a single Pokemon game, but a buddy said WOFF is Pokemon on steroids. It's really satisfying when you finally catch a mirage (monster) being a couple of levels ahead of you (they all have different requirements for becoming catchable like poisoning or putting them to sleep).

Then every mirage has its own skill tree and can be "transfigurated" into higher evolution forms. Then you have to build your stack with L,M,S size forms. I didn't expect that degree of complexity from a game aimed for a younger audience.

I could go on how the bell puzzle was one of the coolest hidden stuff I've ever encountered (try solving it on your own) or the side activities like the colloseum and the mini-stories from the girl-with-no-name, but I won't.

Finally a question for the ones who have already finished it or playing it right now:

Let's assume WOFF was a main entry of the franchise, where'd you rank it ?

I'd say it's not up there with VI,VII,VIII,IX,X, but I like it more than XII and XIII (I haven't played XV).
I have to add, that I think FF X-2 had a fantastic combat system, but didn't have anything else going for it.
I also kind of enjoyed XIII-2 for a while and I have not played Lightning Returns.

Last edited:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
For a game allegedly made for kids, it barrages the new layer with a lot of mechanics in the first few minutes. Attack order, stacking, different attack types, weaknesses, two forms (sizes), skills, mirage skill boards, ....

Ash

Arcane
I have an inhuman JRPG tolerance, but I'm not a fan of the chibi style at all. I understand they had to find a way to fit all the past FF characters into one art style. I have to admit it's growing on me. A lilikin sitting on a FF VI-like mech has something going for it.
If the chibi style is keeping you from trying the game, give it a chance, it may grow on you or you're developing a higher tolerance.

The art style is so triggering. I'm not sure I can look past it. It's meant to be cute but it has the opposite effect; makes me want to burn down Square Enix corporate HQ even more...not sure what's up with that.

I found the gameplay to be marvelous. It feels like a mix of FF VI to FF IX. The areas you're traversing are beautiful and just ooze Final Fantasy. The gameplay really outshines the story and characters.

Hmm. I should probably get over it for the gameplay. Or I can wait for someone to mod these fucking things out. Simply making their head size proportionate to their body or vice-versa may fix it.

A very important question, however: how is the music?

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
The art style is so triggering. I'm not sure I can look past it. It's meant to be cute but it has the opposite effect; makes me want to burn down Square Enix corporate HQ even more...not sure what's up with that.

Even more sad considering classic Final Fantasy's concept artwork was pretty good.

serveimage

serveimage

serveimage

serveimage

Final-Fantasy-Yoshitaka-Amano-asian-woman-artwork.jpg

serveimage

serveimage

Miner 2049er

Scholar
Hmm. I should probably get over it for the gameplay. Or I can wait for someone to mod these fucking things out. Simply making their head size proportionate to their body or vice-versa may fix it.

A very important question, however: how is the music?

It's alright. You'll recognize many themes from past games.

And good luck waiting for that mod. :)

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane
Even more sad considering classic Final Fantasy's concept artwork was pretty good.

?

Amano still draws Artwork for final fantasy. That includes xv and woff. They just never went for a direct adaption of his artstyle. Instead going for a realistic one. The playstation era and fmvs are probably at fault here.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
For a game allegedly made for kids, it barrages the new layer with a lot of mechanics in the first few minutes. Attack order, stacking, different attack types, weaknesses, two forms (sizes), skills, mirage skill boards, ....

Too bad the difficulty is basically nonexistent tho'. Mechanically it has potential and some of the FF character cameos are amusing, but it's still a tad too boring overall due to how easy it is.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Too bad the difficulty is basically nonexistent tho'. Mechanically it has potential and some of the FF character cameos are amusing, but it's still a tad too boring overall due to how easy it is.

IIRC there was a difficulty spike towards the end/postgame where you needed to utilize the systems.
Been a year though.

Ash

Arcane
"Gameplay is good"
"difficulty is non-existent"

Conflicting statements here. No difficulty = mindless, unengaging gameplay, where strategy, tactics, choices etc are irrelevant. You fags got out-monocled by a girl.
I'll likely pass on this one.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
MAXIMA (enhanced edition) DLC:

Expanding the horizons of FINAL FANTASY! A tale of many encounters and the birth of a new world.

Originally released in November 2017, WORLD OF FINAL FANTASY has just been powered up and reborn as WORLD OF FINAL FANTASY Maxima! New characters from FF lore (Champions) and monsters (Mirages) add even more fun and excitement to this unique adventure. This new and enhanced version of WORLD OF FINAL FANTASY also features the Avatar Change system, which allows the protagonists, Reynn and Lann, to fight as Champions. Fight your way through exhilarating battles as legendary FINAL FANTASY heroes!

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
If they didn't increase the difficulty there is no reason to play it other than for the story, so...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom