Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Short RPGs

Self-Ejected

Atlet

Self-Ejected
Vatnik
We all prefer to play long journeys, but some of us cannot spare too much time playing pc games anymore. Therefore, can you, please, list some incline RPGs that aren't long?

Tks, and sorry for the bad spelling.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
We all prefer to play long journeys, but some of us cannot spare too much time playing pc games anymore. Therefore, can you, please, list some incline RPGs that aren't long?

Tks, and sorry for the bad spelling.

Age of Decadence - a campaign lasts somewhere between 5 and 8 hours. But there are tons of replayability.
Fallout 1, you can finish it in like 15 hours without rushing things.

Of the titles that are less famous in these parts, Mass Effect 1 had quite a short campaign. Also, Vampire the Masquarade Redemption can be completed in under 20 hours. Also, if you like Spiders and/or Cyanide games, they are fairly short.

Geckabor

Savant
After trying AoD you should give Dungeon Rats a go.
Legend of Grimrock is fairly short.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Some very good ones would be the Quest for glory games.
f1ac35d8da270a45287bfdb2211813d2e731be0574c239191cbce6cb0950bab2.jpg
Recently I've played Legends of murder 1 & 2 which are investigation games, adventure RPG/hybrid and are very short. They're not near as deep or good as the QfG games but the plot and atmosphere are nice and the research part is very decent.
More screenshots :
mEvAkf5.png

dD7ndTB.png

R99MFYo.png
Also, from recent games I guess it is a good time to mention Epikos, which is loosely an RPG since there's no advancement but still mostly plays like one. It is kind of a storyfag game, with interesting and mysterious (pregenerated) characters, a cool plot with alternative endings unlockable via further exploration... Besides under the Ultima combat system constraints the combat is actually often fun, kinda puzzlish. Not great by any mean, but a decent small game in my opinion.
It's available here : https://kingbee.itch.io/epikos
More screenshots :
uo4GmDx.jpg
QKWx8vZ.jpg
Ln6DI1z.jpg
jNI7Zxm.jpg
9REaQGg.jpg
5BNYlY8.jpg
LLlTkDz.jpg
eGVyfj7.jpg
8ZUiKOb.jpg
wcGFMqo.jpg
m0HuPUq.jpg
P6I8ka0.jpg
VzBpVYs.jpg
ytfnleb.jpg
DxcHFOW.jpg

Last edited:

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Shadowrun Returns was nice RPG snack food.

Most RPGs take so long because they have countless side quests, Shadowrun Returns doesn't. And while the combat is turn-based there aren't that many fights and they are over rather quickly.

The game is not very popular around here but it's my favorite among the new Shadowrun games because of the atmosphere / story which is way better than in the later games. I was actually emotionally impacted by it.

Dragonfall is a way better (and way longer) RPG but I felt like I was locked into the fantasy world of German leftists who went to Bioware writing school. Didn't feel remotely as "cyberpunk" as the first game.

Falksi

Arcane
Blast through "A Bird Story" if you just want a short, 1 hour, barely interactive but sentimental story to chill to.

JDR13

Arcane
If you're in the mood for Sci-fi, check out Mars: War Logs. It plays like a poor man's version of Gothic, but it's pretty good for a budget title.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
can you, please, list some incline RPGs that aren't long?

How long is a piece of string?

Can you define what you mean by short pls?

1-10 hrs?
11-20 hrs?
20-40 hrs?
41-65 hrs?
66-120 hrs?
121-200 hrs?
201+ hrs?

I guess something like 5-30/40 hrs.

A 40 hours game is a relatively long game to my new lifestyle, but I guess if that game is really good I could be hooked to play it for some months. Nevertheless, I think I would prefer a 15/20 hours long game.

Awesome. Which ones have you already played so people can get an idea of the kind of stuff you like?

ShaggyMoose

Savant
I played through Driftmoon is less than ten hours. Generally has a positive reception. It wasn't incredible, but didn't outstay its welcome either.

Last edited by a moderator:

circ

Arcane
Shadowrun Returns was nice RPG snack food.

Most RPGs take so long because they have countless side quests, Shadowrun Returns doesn't. And while the combat is turn-based there aren't that many fights and they are over rather quickly.

The game is not very popular around here but it's my favorite among the new Shadowrun games because of the atmosphere / story which is way better than in the later games. I was actually emotionally impacted by it.

Dragonfall is a way better (and way longer) RPG but I felt like I was locked into the fantasy world of German leftists who went to Bioware writing school. Didn't feel remotely as "cyberpunk" as the first game.
I am in total agreement with you. Many on codex disagree, but I think after finally having played it recently, SRR captures the SR cyberpunk feel and world the best out of all three, and if I'm not mistaken it has the most varied locations too, if small. It doesn't get hung up on personal stories which aren't interesting in the first place, but lets the world do most of the story - which is as it should be.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I was trying to play some golden era games (87-94), so if there is a great game from that time, I would want to know.
Buck Rogers : Countdown to doomsday is probably among of the shortest SSI gold box games. Starflight is not that long either. They're both great.

Starwars

Arcane
Unrest isn't really a classic RPG, more like an interactive novel but with you having a character that you move around and everything, but it may be worth a shot. One of those games that try to have a reactive narrative so it can be worth a replay or two. One playthrough is very short.

Not great or anything but for a cheap price it might be worth it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom