Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath

Ok, let's talk about the beta, specifically these things. I don't get it. Are they giving existing passive abilities the new bonuses or they are making new talents that can be picked up like the existing passive bonuses? Both cases sound kind of a band-aid solution, but it depends on the amount and quality of the new things. Just adding things like +5 Deflection here or +6 Accuracy there is not what the problem is (although having them is better than not having them), it's missing interesting things like Quick Switch, Fast Runner (or whatever that +move speed talent was called), Dangerous Implement, etc.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Most likely both. I didn't mind the first games combat,but i am a more casual fan on mechanics. Storyfag here.

fobia

Hard to say without playing the beta whether the solution is actually an improvement. Also it only makes sense with mechanical talents (in lack of a better word for stuff like Quick Switch etc.).
Will wait on codex-feedback on that. But it's good to see that they adress the problems that the community points out rather quickly.

Lacrymas

Arcane
This still doesn't fix the many removed class-specific talents like Painful Interdiction or Inspiring Radiance, nor does it give other classes much needed variety of them, like Druids. I still think subclasses should've been class-specific talents instead.

Cross

Arcane
So their response to criticism about talents feeling generic was to remove all of them?
:hmmm:

Guess we can add another one to the list:
Obsidian sure seems to have a problem with interpreting and addressing feedback.

People complained that combat was too micromanagement-heavy due to so many per-encounter abilities...so they made EVERYTHING per-encounter and (supposedly) implemented robust AI scripts to automate the process of using all those per-encounter abilities.

People complained about too much loredumping during dialogue...so they made the loredumps something that's technically not dialogue, but still impossible to ignore due to all the color-coded hyperlinks in the middle of conversations.

By the way, I always assumed the main advantage of doing a same-engine sequel was the ability to build on the foundation of the first game. Baldur's Gate 2 almost tripled the amount of spells there were in the first game (and implemented all sorts of new class abilities for non-spellcasters), which helped facilitate better and more diverse encounter design. Now you're telling me PoE 2 has less meaningfully different abilities and spells than even the first game?

Quillon

Arcane
This still doesn't fix the many removed class-specific talents like Painful Interdiction or Inspiring Radiance, nor does it give other classes much needed variety of them, like Druids. I still think subclasses should've been class-specific talents instead.

Cross-class talents were added cos there were no multiclassing, it would be weird to have them now; if you want some other class' talent you go MC.

Prime Junta

Ok, let's talk about the beta, specifically these things. I don't get it. Are they giving existing passive abilities the new bonuses or they are making new talents that can be picked up like the existing passive bonuses? Both cases sound kind of a band-aid solution, but it depends on the amount and quality of the new things. Just adding things like +5 Deflection here or +6 Accuracy there is not what the problem is (although having them is better than not having them), it's missing interesting things like Quick Switch, Fast Runner (or whatever that +move speed talent was called), Dangerous Implement, etc.

Making new talents.

The only cross-class talents in DF are weapon proficiencies. So he's thinking of moving some thematically suitable ones from class-specific talents to weapon proficiencies.

From where I'm at that sounds like a pretty reasonable solution, although IMO they still need more talents to choose from overall -- as it is there's not a whole lot of choice involved when making a build (apart from the class/subclass/multiclass thing at the start, and gear of course).

Yeah I'm not too convinced about the whole subclass thing either. Pandering to AD&D nostalgiafags and results in a more rigid system overall. But that's not something they're going to change at this point.

Lacrymas

Arcane
It's interesting what Skaen will get, Devoted/Priest of Skaen seems more and more like a triple-class Priest/Rogue/Fighter. Which is incline and interesting.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
It's interesting what Skaen will get, Devoted/Priest of Skaen seems more and more like a triple-class Priest/Rogue/Fighter. Which is incline and interesting.

Yeah something tells me that, considering how you never get hard-countered on weapon types in these games (including BG and IWD), the devoted is gonna be a very, very strong spec for multiclassing. It basically has no malus.

Lacrymas

Arcane
It depends on the penetration mechanic, I guess. I don't see a reason not to go Devoted/something else if you are going for a melee build. Which is kind of limiting.

2house2fly

Magister
It's nuts to me that they don't have tooltips for what Empower actually does. I assume that's an oversight, or something they just haven't implemented yet

Quillon

Arcane
Lets see how the system will become after this pleasing everyone phase. If there'll be PoE3 there won't be classes that's for sure.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Instead of just a simple bonus spell, it could be a much better bonus empowered spell. Idk, maybe one extra per day.
I'd imagine the Priest can spend an empower on these spells like any other?

Instead of just giving me more spells, they could make some spells stronger than others, depending on the deity.

If Im a prist of Magran, I expect my fire spells to be stonget than other priests fire spells. And so on.

Delterius

Arcane
Instead of just a simple bonus spell, it could be a much better bonus empowered spell. Idk, maybe one extra per day.

Instead of just giving me more spells, they could make some spells stronger than others.

If Im a prist of Magran, I expect my fire spells to be stonget than other priests fire spells. And so on.
That works for Magran and Eothas but not the other deities.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Instead of just giving me more spells, they could make some spells stronger than others.

That works for Magran and Eothas but not the other deities.

Hmm, yeah... Thats true. :?

EDIT: But see Wael in JS example... They already have a list of spells. Just make them stronger instead of giving me more.

Trashos

Arcane
Didn't mean to disrupt the storyfagging, I enjoy a good story myself. I just don't think they can execute on a good story anyway. PoE had some good ideas, the execution was lacking, the result was not spectacular (even if I think that it had its good moments). So I have placed all my hopes on PoE2's combat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom