Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
So, I screwed around as the duke of Kashgar in the Viking start. Seemed like an interesting place, being lodged between nomads to the north, Muslims to the west and GRORIOUS CHINA to the west and Tibet to the south. A few observations:
- The place certainly is more lively now. Lots more going on, Tibet taking an active part in the fight against the endless Muslim hordes and such.
- Overall the Indian faiths are weaker due to the lack of holy orders
- Europe is still fucked in anything except the 1066 and later starts. Muslims still gobble up Iberia, tanking Catholic authority, leading to heresies and so forth. Meh.
- China itself is... decent. It gives you something to do with useless heirs or daughters and gets you good rewards in return. Too good at times, although the same could be said about gurus.
- "The Emperor likes Balto-Slavs" Come the fuck on Paradox
- I got displaced by the goddamn Muslims and had to swear fealty to the Emperor which... isn't half bad actually. Yes, you lose a lot of income but that hardly matters when you sit on the freaking Silk Road and the loss in prestige is easily offset by other means. Since tributaries to China can still fight each other, it gives you a good opportunity to mop up the minor counts and horse fuckers so you can build up in peace and eventually tell China to fuck off.

Athos

Arcane

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
All of them... unfortunately.

Well, almost anyway. Avoid the fantasy one like Sunset Invasion.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I have been wanting this game for awhile, but never got around to it. Since it is 75% off what are some of the must have DLC and mods? TIA

"Must" haves:
- Legacy of Rome (Retinues)
- Old Gods (Sensible/Useful pagan religions)
- Horse Lords (Hordes)

Special interest DLC:
- Way of Life
- Jade Dragon
- India
- Monks & Mystics
- Sword of Islam
- The Republic
- Customization Pack

Pointless shit:
- All cosmetic DLCs
- Reaper's Due
- Conclave
- Charlemagne
- Sons of Abraham
- Sunset Invasion
- Ruler Designer

e: Or you can just YARRHARR the DLCs and unlock them even on a legal Steam version of CK2.

I have been wanting this game for awhile, but never got around to it. Since it is 75% off what are some of the must have DLC and mods? TIA

"Must" haves:
- Legacy of Rome (Retinues)
- Old Gods (Sensible/Useful pagan religions)
- Horse Lords (Hordes)

Special interest DLC:
- Way of Life
- Jade Dragon
- India
- Monks & Mystics
- Sword of Islam
- The Republic
- Customization Pack

Pointless shit:
- All cosmetic DLCs
- Reaper's Due
- Conclave
- Charlemagne
- Sons of Abraham
- Sunset Invasion
- Ruler Designer

e: Or you can just YARRHARR the DLCs and unlock them even on a legal Steam version of CK2.

thanks for the response.

Why the ruler designer as useless? Is it not needed for some of the ruler customization mods? It looks like there are many potential interesting mods involving ruler customization...

BTW, anybody have opinions on good mods, including complete overhaul? Is the game of thrones mod any fun?

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Most mods are way better than the base game. HIP is basically the main game cranked up to eleven, it's highly recommended. GoT is good for what it is, if you like the world it's for you, for some time now it also has some highly decent competition in the form of The Seven Kingdoms mod. WtWSMS is also good.

Thing is, you need most if not all the DLCs to really appreciate the mods and play them as they are intended to be played.

Started playing today, Charlie start, as Marzoban Wazzhudhak of Chach.
First thing I noticed... didn't this guy used to be the only tribal Zoroastrian ruler of the game? Now he's settled feudal. Damn! I was hoping I could raid my way to glory. Oh yeah, he's Khurzmata now, too.

You can raid if you educate your heirs to be Altaic/Hungarian/Norse. One of those sneaky little tricks. Raiding was buffed a lot now that raiding armies cost less maintenance.

China stuff seems a bit OP (as usual for anything Paradox adds, at least it's not a specific religion that's imba now). Sacrifice some sons and daughters, kowtow and get constant influx of powerful items. If Norse could get to Asia they'd be supermen with all the items they could pick up raiding capitals. Haven't tried the requesting invasion thing, wonder if 5000 grace is enough to kill the Abbasids.

Last edited:

Chunkyman

Augur
Pointless shit:
- Reaper's Due

I actually liked Reaper's Due for the Bubonic Plague mechanics. It's both kind of spooky watching the epidemic screen and seeing the massive wave approaching your land + events. Plus last game I had a Lunatic ruler who got an event about the people barricaded the castle for safety and I got a comical "ONLY THE CHOSEN WILL SURVIVE" option.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Pointless shit:
- All cosmetic DLCs
- Reaper's Due
- Conclave
- Charlemagne
- Sons of Abraham
- Sunset Invasion
- Ruler Designer

Ruler Designer - never used it - but can be necessary for mods or if it's your type of play
Conclave - I like the mechanics (most people don't)
Charlemagne - new (earliest) start date, viceroys and custom kingdoms, and (unfortunately badly made) chronicle
Sons of Abraham - Jews and pilgrim features can be fun
Sunset Invasion - pontless shit, unless you want a second Mongolian invasion from the West

Last edited:
Most mods are way better than the base game. HIP is basically the main game cranked up to eleven, it's highly recommended. GoT is good for what it is, if you like the world it's for you, for some time now it also has some highly decent competition in the form of The Seven Kingdoms mod. WtWSMS is also good.

Thing is, you need most if not all the DLCs to really appreciate the mods and play them as they are intended to be played.

I am quite interested in the game and would be willing to purchase all the DLC etc....but before I spend like $150+, I notice there is a steam demo...does the demo sufficient to be able to tell if it is a game I might like? Or is it not adequate? I like their world war II games ...

Nirvash

Liturgist
The designer wont work with ironman so it's pretty worthless.

The most useless thing ever is the ironman option.

You don't want to savescum? Then just don't do it. (and be safe for crash/bug/etc)

Designer is good for silly fun and more culture/religion options, hell i played like half my games as nigger norse and stuff like that.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Ironman is only for achievement farming purposes (why would anyone do that is beyond me) and for folks who don't have good understating of what a challenge means.

I am quite interested in the game and would be willing to purchase all the DLC etc....but before I spend like $150+, I notice there is a steam demo...does the demo sufficient to be able to tell if it is a game I might like? Or is it not adequate? I like their world war II games ...

Not sure how much is in the demo or how updated the demo is to the current version, but you can probably figure out the gist of the game.

You're better off waiting for a bundle that lets you get the game and half the gameplay DLCs for $20 or something. They happen fairly often.

The designer wont work with ironman so it's pretty worthless.

The most useless thing ever is the ironman option.

You don't want to savescum? Then just don't do it. (and be safe for crash/bug/etc)

Designer is good for silly fun and more culture/religion options, hell i played like half my games as nigger norse and stuff like that.

I use ironman just to avoid bloating my save game directory. Paradox games took up upwards of 30 GBs on my space-limited SSD before I started doing this.

Nowadays they've started actually compressing the save games rather than leaving them in plain text (leading to 100 MB save files), so it's probably not as essential.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Just how ridiculous the paradox dlc have become.
Screenshot_2017_11_21.png

opinions on CkII vs. Europa Universallis, which is more fun? If you had to only own and play one of them?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom