Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls Orpheus, a Gothic total conversion mod for Skyrim (lel)

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/orpheus/downloads/gothic-orpheus-21

Welcome. Today I wanted to present to you one of biggest projects ever made for skyrim. The mod is called Orpheus. It'll be a mod set in the universe of the famous German game, Gothic. It'll be total conversion of the game so you'll be able to see a lot of famillar things from Gothic implemented into the mod. The story starts a couple of years after death of the main hero. You'll be able to visit famous location from Gothic 1 and 2. The storyline itself will be based on the fall of the Myrthana. Scattered towns of the kingdom are weakened after the civil war, but that's not the the most prevalent danger. Massive hordes of orcs have started roaming and pillaging lands of Nordmar. Your story begins when you're caught by orcs and forced to sail with them to the nearby islands of Khorinis, where you wait for execution. The game will run on skyrim engine with a couple of tweaks and fixes. We"ll do our best to recreate the dark climate of Gothic.

So, this seems, uh... weird. Too bad it has the shitty TES combat.

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

Why don't you make a thread when the mod is finished and released, which will be never, because gigantic total conversion mods with an interesting idea never get finished and released?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Human shaped orks
kingcomrade.png

Alkarl

Learned
When "Trying to get into Skyrim" goes way the fuck past sanity and reason.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Why don't you make a thread when the mod is finished and released, which will be never, because gigantic total conversion mods with an interesting idea never get finished and released?

That will happen when you apply the same standards to your total conversion (to Christianity) mod for real life.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
lol @ gothic tard complaining about Skyrim's combat, which is miles above the shitshow that was gothic (and gothic 2).
Gothic's combat is way superior. It's collision based, it requires timing attacks and correctly chaining them depending on the starting position of your weapon, there's blocking, the animations change with your improving skill, and the enemies are challenging. It's one of the best 3rd or 1st person melee combat I've ever played. TES melee combat is just slicing jello until the numbers go down enough.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
lol @ gothic tard complaining about Skyrim's combat, which is miles above the shitshow that was gothic (and gothic 2).
Gothic's combat is way superior. It's collision based, it requires timing attacks and correctly chaining them depending on the starting position of your weapon, there's blocking, the animations change with your improving skill, and the enemies are challenging. It's one of the best 3rd or 1st person melee combat I've ever played. TES melee combat is just slicing jello until the numbers go down enough.

Gothic's melee combat is shit purely because of the shitty unresponsive controls. Skyrim (not sure why you're dragging it to all TES games given that the first 2 aren't even real 3d) has blocking (so did morrowind and oblivion) and you can get new attack animations for non-basic attacks with higher skill levels. The enemies are challenging enough if you don't cheese. But that's just melee. Skyrim has great archery and mediocre (but still superior to gothic) spellcasting. whereas gothic has jack shit in those areas. gothic 2 archery literally plays like a mmo except without any special attacks. let's not even get into itemization.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Just to note, this isn't a port of a Gothic game, but a fanmade mod set in the Gothic world. In case that wasn't clear.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Gothic's melee combat is shit purely because of the shitty unresponsive controls.

You have to train your fighting skills in the game and the combat becomes responsive and fluid. Furthermore you have to time your attacks to properly chain a combo. It's a great detector for people who played the game 5 minutes and quit whining "b-b-b-but the combat sucks!!11!!1!!!!" There's also parry and side-stepping to evade.

TES is just clickclickclickclickclclick spamming until enemy dies, repeat.

Archery sucks in Gothic, yes.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Skyrim... The enemies are challenging enough if you don't cheese. But that's just melee. Skyrim has great archery and mediocre (but still superior to gothic) spellcasting. whereas gothic has jack shit in those areas. gothic 2 archery literally plays like a mmo except without any special attacks. let's not even get into itemization.
That is the most retarded thing I have read in at least a week. And I browse the Codex daily.

I mean, Gothic combat is pretty derpy, yeah, but at least it can be somewhat challenging until you become OP. Skyrim can be played blindfolded.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Gothic's melee combat is shit purely because of the shitty unresponsive controls.

You have to train your fighting skills in the game and the combat becomes responsive and fluid. Furthermore you have to time your attacks to properly chain a combo. It's a great detector for people who played the game 5 minutes and quit whining "b-b-b-but the combat sucks!!11!!1!!!!" There's also parry and side-stepping to evade.

TES is just clickclickclickclickclclick spamming until enemy dies, repeat.

Archery sucks in Gothic, yes.

There's blocking, evading, sneaking, charging, etc. in skyrim. There's simply no case to be made for gothic based on variety of things you can do in combat. The last "click click click" tes was morrowind, whose combat was almost purely stat based (which many people here would consider true RPG). because of this I wouldn't even compare gothic and TES, the most direct comparison I can think of are the jedi outcast/jedi academy games. They are both pseudo-rpgs like gothic with timing based melee but jedi knight is a genuinely good game whereas Gothic is terrible as an rpg and terrible as an action game. as far as I can tell it's an action rpg made for people who don't like actual action rpgs (IE: diablo).

Falksi

Arcane
This takes raping good RPG's to a whole new level I didn't think possible.

It's like someone taking a glass of your favourite vintage whiskey, and trying to make it better by adding Rola Cola.

Incantatar

Cipher
Gothic has such a clunky control that Skyrim is an improvement control and action combat wise
It's not clunky at all if you spend two hours and get used to it. There are other games you can play for years and still feel the controls suck balls (eg. DF). Gothic is not one of those games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom