Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus - set in Nazi occupied America

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Ha yes, the man with superior taste hast spoken.

Educated
If only. If only. How long until gamers who call the game shit and it bombs do the devs and their supporters say we're all Nazis for either not buying the game or if we buy it and don't like it.
They did this with that new Ghostbusters movie and it didn't help one bit AFAIK

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Ha yes, the man with superior taste hast spoken.

Did I say the game was GOTY? Did I say the game was a masterpiece? Even good? No..

So shut the fuck up, you massive autist fag.

I haven't even bought the game, I torrented it. Nothing wrong with enjoying a few hours of mindless fun, we all do it.

Well all except you, you're busy masturbating to pictures of your own mother while wearing high heels

Fuck you.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
"Hey guys this game isn't that bad. Sure i get to have my balls crushed and needles stuck in my eyeballs while playing, but there's some fun bits and there's nothing wrong with having some mindless fun, hey? We all do it, he he".

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
"Hey guys this game isn't that bad. Sure i get to have my balls crushed and needles stuck in my eyeballs while playing, but there's some fun bits and there's nothing wrong with having some mindless fun, hey? We all do it, he he".

Hang yourself.

I never said the game wasn't bad. I said it was fun for a few hours so run around with. Something can be so bad, it's actually fun at times.

But again, please end yourself. Do the world a favor.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
lol at the wanted poster

1427995704118.png

The resemblance is disturbing.

thatsthejoke.jpg

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Finished it, in short, it's 2017 Deus Ex Mankind Divided. A lot of unresolved loose ends, the ending felt like it was a beginning after a long prologue, no final boss fight and the final level actually recycles another earlier level. I liked TNO a lot but finishing TNC made me go full WTF :negative:

Last edited:

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Finished it, in short, it's 2017 Deus Ex Mankind Divided. A lot of unresolved loose ends, the ending felt like it was a beginning for a long prologue, no final boss fight and the final level actually recycles another earlier level. I liked TNO a lot but finishing TNC made me go full WTF :negative:

This is the middle chapter in a sequel so it's caught in that middle book syndrome.

I'm curious what's causing the pc issues, the game runs really well on my machine and mine's quite old.

According to this video, if you feel your intelligence is in any way assaulted by the paper-thin wombyn power/cis het white male scum/propaganda in this piece of garbage, or if you think this 'game' is shit in any way, then you're a straight up alt-right Nazi supporter.

Pete Hines is so brave kawaiii desuuuuu~

Swedish progressives are so enlightened uguuuu~

Please teach dumb Americans how to think correctly~ Everyone in the South is dumb and would be ruled by the KKK in an alternative historical scenario~ The KKK wasn't an armed branch of the Democratic Party at all~ Democrats didn't own slaves~ Black Lives Matter~ 'What Happened?'~ Eebil Drumpf makes me want to move to Canada~ Punch a Nazi~

:selfhate:

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=46420

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus average completion time: 8h 58m (538 min.)
Total cutscene length (source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_rEoCkIwCw): 2h 13m (133 min.)
Total average gameplay time: 6h 45m (405 min.)
minutes of gameplay for every 1 minute of cutscenes: 3,045112782
gameplay/cutscene ratio ((100/totalplaytime)*cutscenetime), rounded upwards: 25%

For comparison's sake:

Wolfenstein: The New Order
https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=16886

Wolfenstein: The New Order average completion time: 11h 50m (710 min.)
Total cutscene length (source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC0vUS7i9JA): 1h 48m (108 min.)
Total average gameplay time: 10h 2m (602 min.)
minutes of gameplay for every minute of cutscenes: 5,574074074
gameplay/cutscene ratio ((100/totalplaytime)*cutscenetime), rounded upwards: 15%

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood
https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=24484

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood average completion time: 6h (360 min.)
Total cutscene length (source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQqsrv339GM): 18 min.
Total average gameplay length: 5h 42m (342 min.)
minutes of gameplay for every minute of cutscenes: 19
gameplay/cutscene ratio ((100/totalplaytime)*cutscenetime), rounded upwards: 5%

Return to Castle Wolfenstein
https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=7764

Return to Castle Wolfenstein average completion time: 8h 27m (507 min.)
Total cutscene time (source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcuULvGGoD8): 31m
Total gameplay time: 7h 56m
Minutes of gameplay for each minute of cutscenes: 16,354838710
cutscene/gameplay ratio ((100/totalplaytime)*cutscenetime): 6%

Average completion times are subject to change. Keep in mind that 'game movies' tend to inflate the length with bits of gameplay, in-game dialogue, and whatnot. For example, the one that's 3h 34 min long which people have been posting around does contain several bits of gameplay and walking around to edit it into a semi-coherent movie, and doesn't actually represent the length of the cutscenes in the game.

For the sake of accuracy I've opted to use sources which only contained the pre-rendered cutscenes and some of the non-interactive in-game segments where you're basically locked into place and can't move anywhere as people talk to you. I'd argue that the HL2-ish narrative segments where you can move around but can't really progress anywhere until the NPCs are done talking would also have to be included, but for the sake of consistency I opted for the former as no uploader can seem to come to a consensus what constitutes all of the cutscenes of a game, and there's not a lot of sources for the cutscenes of TNC given that it was just released.

You can expect there being more non-interactive gameplay than is listed above which would constitute standing around aimlessly amongst other things, and given what people here consider 'actual gameplay', you can assume that a good portion of the aforementioned gameplay time is wasted on in-game cinematics and so on and is not entirely accurate. The TNC demos did show gameplay footage where you're just walking around in some American city with a fire extinguisher (nuke) in your hands, no action involved. Though you can say for certain that at least 25% of your time on TNC will be spent with your brain in a pseudo-vegetative state, and that percentage is certainly going to be higher.

But nonetheless, you can see that TNC does represent a higher ratio of cutscenes compared to all of the other Wolfenstein games, which is pretty fucking gay. It's also shorter than the first game in the new series, which is even gayer. As another comparison, using this method to calculate the cutscene ratio of MGS4, you'd end up around 45%. Though at least MGS4 had better gameplay, more content, and multiplayer to back it up.

You forgot Wolfenstein 3D ;)

It also has those neat DeathCam™ scenes.

Last edited:
New Wolfenstein has incredibly egregious elements to it, I already posted about the father character in another thread, calling out how cartoonish he was, but there are other elements such as a pregnant woman taking on a ship full of nazis while her boyfriend with a fridge for a head jacks off in the corner and talks quietly to himself about how war is shockingly bad, not to mention the comical portrayal of Hitler, depicting him as somebody who pisses in a bucket in front of people whilst shooting a man in the head constantly for saying that he's from Arizona.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Steamspy reports ~73k sales.

Those blockbusters used to sell 200-300k units within the first 3 days IIRC.
They did? Single player shooters? I'm not playing it either. I've been less than optimistic for a while now. The tone is too desperate (seemingly sillier than the last game), the gunplay was never that good and the story I read on Wikipedia is bad.

I got banned (and had a bunch of my posts deleted) for complaining about it on Giantbomb, after a few users denied that the forum is sanitized. This is the only place where I've seen so much negativity towards the game.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Steamcharts has 16050 peak players so far, I took a look at Wolfenstein, the new order, and it had 11.808 peak players, if peak players translate on more sales, the game is doing better than TNO on the PC, of course, things aren't so simple, Prey has 24594 peak players and only sold 494.000 copies on the PC while TNO sold 1.700.000 (taking in consideration that most of those copies weren't sold at full price and over the years.). It is hard to know if this game is a success of failure for Bethesda, on the best case scenario, if they hoped this game would sell ALOT more than the previous one, this won't happen but if they are okay with the mediocre sales...

Next game we will have cutscenes with a paraplegic BJ, shooting machine gun fire from his ass while super serious monologues on how war is terrible play on the background and he will behead Islam style a german general that looks suspiciously close to Donald Trump. Mah God, the degeneracy of the gaming industry...

Next game we will have cutscenes with a paraplegic BJ, shooting machine gun fire from his ass while super serious monologues on how war is terrible play on the background and he will behead Islam style a german general that looks suspiciously close to Donald Trump. Mah God, the degeneracy of the gaming industry...

Not to mention how he will convert to Islam and become a transgender person, while calling the the SS soldiers every buzzword in the book

I mean, he's already starting to do it "Come and get me you white ass fascist nazi pigs"

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Steamcharts has 16050 peak players so far, I took a look at Wolfenstein, the new order, and it had 11.808 peak players, if peak players translate on more sales, the game is doing better than TNO on the PC, of course, things aren't so simple, Prey has 24594 peak players and only sold 494.000 copies on the PC while TNO sold 1.700.000 (taking in consideration that most of those copies weren't sold at full price and over the years.). It is hard to know if this game is a success of failure for Bethesda, on the best case scenario, if they hoped this game would sell ALOT more than the previous one, this won't happen but if they are okay with the mediocre sales...

I don't think that the first game was a success. Maybe breaking even. Does anyone knows how much the budged was?

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Next game? All of this is in this one. :lol:

Vival

Augur
According to this video, if you feel your intelligence is in any way assaulted by the paper-thin wombyn power/cis het white male scum/propaganda in this piece of garbage, or if you think this 'game' is shit in any way, then you're a straight up alt-right Nazi supporter.

Pete Hines is so brave kawaiii desuuuuu~

Swedish progressives are so enlightened uguuuu~

Please teach dumb Americans how to think correctly~ Everyone in the South is dumb and would be ruled by the KKK in an alternative historical scenario~ The KKK wasn't an armed branch of the Democratic Party at all~ Democrats didn't own slaves~ Black Lives Matter~ 'What Happened?'~ Eebil Drumpf makes me want to move to Canada~ Punch a Nazi~

:selfhate:

Unless teenagers and twentysomethings have fundamentally changed that's the kind of press coverage that dooms your edgy game to fail: The moral guardians singing its praises on their high horses instead of demanding to ban this filth. Why, for example, not have B.J. punch a women in the face and rip her shirt open - that would go nicely with the 70's exploitation vibe and would drive those press clowns into a frenzy. It's like they hate money or something.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Man, if swedes tolerate be raped and murdered to not look "raycist", not making money is nothing for them.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
lmake literally 100% of the dialogue in the game be about politics and their current situation, and call it a great portrayal. That's not how societies work, even conquered ones. People have lives and interests and goals and are generally more than vessels that that are only there to expose how the city/country is faring. It's all just a stage for the heavily ideological people behind the game to keep feeding the players with their fanfictional tidbits, like the now-mandatory 70's black power girl calling the protagonist a white boy
same reason why Deus Ex MD/HR annoyed me with it
non-stop talking about game theme is hell, to put it mildly

passerby

Arcane

Holy shit, these people are for real !
It was all so ridiculosly dumb, that I was convinced it all were intentional comedic jabs at this first world "struggle", until I saw this video.
Fuck me, I was wrong and you guys were correct all along. I didn't bother to follow this shit carefully is my defense.

I still find this action scene with Anna funny, but maybe indeed not exactly in a way, that narrative director intended.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom