Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
We should also not forget interrupts which play an important role in the world of PoE. If you can be interrupted by someone trying to stab you, I guess you would also be if 60 cannons are firing around you

The Bishop

Cipher
We should also not forget interrupts which play an important role in the world of PoE. If you can be interrupted by someone trying to stab you, I guess you would also be if 60 cannons are firing around you
What the hell is this nonsense. There are no neat and usable numbers like 60 in Eora. It's 27 cannons.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
To be fair, it's often said that fire is a sailor's greatest fear (source: fantasy books, so you just know it's got to be true lol), so a fireball would be problematic. I think the bigger issue is availability of casters, which factors not just into how many mages (if any) you have aboard vs. a full complement of cannons, but also how easily replaced they are. If the industry exists to craft cannons, then you can get replacements. If there's not a ton of mages sitting around, replacing the one who just ate a cannonball might be difficult.

What the hell is this nonsense. There are no neat and usable numbers like 60 in Eora. It's 27 cannons.

27.3 if you have the right feat.

Sherry

Arcane
Hi!

During navel battles on the Aryith Ocean always had at least one Damane per ship that the Seanchan (pronounced SHAWN-chan) wear a silvery metal leash chained by their necks that would use the one power to control weather or simply rain down fire and lightning on approaching ships turning them into splinters so I cannot see why ships sailing the Deadfire Archipelago would not have one or more capable NPCs to do the same on approaching ships. It is smart tactics to have a ship shooting fireballs, lightning bolts and acid rain down onto wooden decks along with cannons blasting holes into the hull that attracts the deep sea creatures to rise and all chaos breaks out!! The Seanchan used women who could control the One Power to great efficiency by training them to listen to orders by their slave masters who held the leash wrapped around their necks to unleash the One Power and destroy their enemies.

"Damane are kept and treated as sentient pets, but are also used extensively in warfare by the Seanchan. They are trained in the art of using the One Power as a weapon, preferring fireballs and lightning to more indirect methods."

It would be right up the alley of captains to have such raw power at their finger-tips to unleash magic on approaching ships along the Archipelago which means as a player you would also need to have a member in your party who could go toe-to-toe with another ship's attack or at least be able to hire someone to handle the attack of magic from one deck to another. It could be done visually or by story-board choose your own adventure text.

So instead of cannon to cannon ship battles, it would be really cool to see some ship to ship battles done via magic and its destructive power on wooden ships with a choose your own adventure text as the clouds above your ship turn grey and black and there are bolts of lightning shooting down and you have to make choices based on your wizard class or a wizard class npc on the ship to do battle before the ship arrives in cannon range and the real visual battle takes place!

Thanks,
Sherry

Prime Junta

I don't like these backer vanity portraits, even though this style makes them less obviously photo overpaints. :argh:

Starwars

Arcane
Not a huge fan of some of those portraits but I think the variety and just big quantity of the watercolor style ones are gonna be great for the game.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
I think they're based on developers though, not backers. Heck, we did the same on Six Ages and it was the same in King of Dragon Pass - a lot of the advisor portraits were various cousins and friends of Stefano Gaudiano.
And more so than being paintovers they just use photo reference, like 99% of art for products like this.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
These look pretty amateurish, especially Josh. I wouldn't have shared that portrait of him in the first place.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Looks fine to me, but the watercolor portraits aren't meant to look amazeballs, they're low effort drawings they're churning out for less important NPCs.

Prime Junta

Low effort doesn't have to be bad.

a61b9a5339026d037b8d8789ca08a6d2--jean-cocteau-self-portraits.jpg

Quillon

Arcane
They have better models they should just show the character models' face in the portrait panel with most of them ending up with the same look, right? No? :P

Even the properly painted ones don't get endorsed by half the people These low effort watercolors are looking better than TToN's handful. Important things are they'll help differentiate characters, there will be many and they'll be consistent and they don't look particularly bad to me but I'm no artist.

Sentinel

Arcane
The portraits in PoE2 are indeed much lower quality than in PoE1 but going 3D isn't the way. 3D portraits are invariably shit. Painted ones have a lot of potential to be good.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Folks are just mad about the off-model Eli Wallach-looking Eder

Personally I'm waiting to see it in full size. Compare these to how they look shrinked down at the bottom of the screen in one of the gameplay videos:

265px-Maia_temp_painted.jpg
265px-Serafen_temp_painted.jpg

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Regarding the watercolor portraits, I don't agree that it's ok if they are low quality. The understanding was that they will be low effort, but not low quality. If you are going to have something that's low quality, better don't show anything to the client than showing him something half good or half done.

My imagination would draw a higher quality portrait than the low quality watercolor the game will give me, what's the benefit in the watercolor then? None.

The most "roleplaying feeling" I've had in a long while was last year, when I played IWD with custom portraits and sound sets for everyone in the party. Because it's IWD, all the characterization the characters got was from those two sources. It felt significantly better than in modern games where much if not all dialogue is voiced, and every party members insists on getting you aquainted with his "unique personality". Gosh, the sidekicks are one if the smartest decisions in Deadfire. Less can be so much more, if the regular "more" is most probably going to be shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom