Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
So one of the quadrapeds and one of the faux-minecrawlers are both called both called Rippers. The level of jank sometimes man:prosper:

Is this the case for non-English languages as well?

Tigranes

Arcane

I think it shouldn't be, but I'm saying this view has become the norm.

So one of the quadrapeds and one of the faux-minecrawlers are both called both called Rippers. The level of jank sometimes man:prosper:

Is this the case for non-English languages as well?

Yeah 80% of the animals all look the fucking same, they just squeeze the torso a bit, add/remove legs, maybe hornlike heads if you're lucky

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Never play a PB game thinking like a robot vacuum cleaner, which is how we mostly play other games: you reach an area, you systematically explore and clear all enemies and discover eveyrthing, you move on. In a PB game you can't do that. You have to mentally treat each region not as a new discrete sector of enemies and loot to eliminate, but part of the whole world you will keep crisscrossing over and over again.
I should try to accomodate this behavior, because now I'm exactly like a vacuum cleaner lol.

And my actual expirience - for the first time, I deepened in combat system.
I returned to Small Camp, and fought cratures near it.
First thing I learned was animals do respawns quickly.
First I want to clean up place around Camp, but realized that if I got to sleep after every critter, I won't go anywhere.
Second thing I learned - human type enemies much easier to defeat.
I won fight with a reaver from nearby camp from third try - got 100 exp.
And I can't reliable kill turkey that called Biter I think - it is much more difficult, because it never run out of stamina, while reaver knocked down from first combo set.
Also now I can do combo chain more or less reliable, congratulate me, it was very nice feeling when I realized that.

A lot of gamers think & play like vacuum cleaners, and get very frustrated when they can't do it. Not necessarily because they are degenerate: decades of video games have trained them to play this way. In most games you are expected to & rewarded from thinking "room A, kill everyone, loot everything, next" - so when you suddenly can't do it, it's natural to think the game is too hard/broken, or that there is some other problem.

But to liberate yourself is easy: play a game that is built differently (G2, AOD, what have you), and then just try it for a while.

Then you realise how refreshing it is. In fact, the vacuum cleaner approach is fundamentally similar to the guy who complains there's too much stuff in Morrowind and he keeps having to go back to the dungeon 20 times to pick it all up; the guy who wants all the achievements and complains POE's 'The Ultimate' or 'Triple Crown' is "too hard"; the guy who wants to join all the factions and complains he's not allowed to; or even in Elex, imagine someone who says but I want to have guns and magic at the same time and also not suffer any of the downsides or join any faction. I don't think anyone said that here, but you can easily imagine someone out there thinking this way. Once people stop playing this way (and I'm not saying you Fenix do any of this), they realise that a lot of those frustrations disappear.

(Back to Elex, human enemies are a bit too easy; I've very rarely seen enemies that use heavy attacks effectively to knock you back or otherwise pose a challenge 1v1.)

Well, that's certainly a lot of words spoken there about how other people are shit at playing games, but very little about what people are doing in ELEX. I see people hoovering up Ekex and Elexit, that sounds fairly vacuum cleaner'ish to me. I see people finding ways to cheese encounters. I see people mentioning a few quests, mostly ones that don't make sense. I see people talking about wobbly boobs. I see people getting exited that they've found a weapon. I see people debate the merits of various factions.

But I don't see anything particularly "liberating" in any of this. When you say "In most games you are expected to & rewarded from thinking "room A, kill everyone, loot everything, next" " you don't give any examples and, to be honest, I have no idea what game's you're talking about. I'm sure that at some point you kill everything in Elex, right? I mean, that's why people get excited when they get a weapon, so they can go and start killing the stuff they couldn't previously. You think it's "liberating" to have your progression stop-start-stop-start and strewn all over the place like a dropped platter in a cheap farce? I guess that's one way of looking at it?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Is anyone playing as a pure mage? Is it doable? Is it fun? Or is it an afterthought in a game that wants you to swing weapons?

ortucis

Prophet
brainwashing in most cases. Way better than just exiling skilled people to a fucking island or a forest
Better for whom? For brainwashed - aka mindraped, it is the worst thing ever.

These aren't real people, Fenix. People made out of code cannot feel.

So as far as I'm concerned, mindrape is the best rape, for the code people.

Tigranes

Arcane
Is anyone playing as a pure mage? Is it doable? Is it fun? Or is it an afterthought in a game that wants you to swing weapons?

You could rush to join a faction, probably Berserkers, then get with their magic/ice fist. But I never really understood why you'd do that in a PB game, where there are cool utility spells, a few cool later-game nuking spells, but the run of the mill array is really small and pew-pewing is very clunky.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

This would be extremely difficult. You can’t join a faction until you hit level 15–for me that was roughly 20 hours in. And you can’t get magic until you join a faction. You’d have to dodge every single fight the game throws at you until the Berserkers will take you in.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
You can romance nasty apparently.

411300_20171023194209_1.png

411300_20171023182513_1.png

411300_20171023182538_1.png

411300_20171023182539_1.png

411300_20171023182541_2.png

411300_20171023182541_1.png

411300_20171023182901_1.png

411300_20171024040711_1.png

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Nasty's easy breh.

I've been all over the map with Caja and her chit quest still hasn't ended.

Tigranes

Arcane
Remember, while 100k is now seen as not bad, in a world of publisher-funded kind-of-hopnig-to-look-like-AA(A?)-titles it is calamitous. So it really depends on their exact budget. I hope it's what they need, though, because review scores ain't where they can go for comfort

DeepOcean

Arcane
100k copies is very low, that is 3 million dollars before steam and taxes cut, I don't think they made this game for less than 10 million dollars, DOS 2 cost a shitload of money for Lariand and they didn't need to worry about facial animations and big open world stuff. Unless they did some East European cheap labour magic, it will be a long time to break even.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Dont they said PB need 140k euro to work for a month? Elex was announced in 2015 so it probably begin right after risen 3 in 2014.

With rough calculation, elex had 3 years of development.

So 140 x 36 = 5 mil.

100k on steam with average 45 euro = 4,5 mil with steam cut = 3,2 mil.

We dont know with gog numbers and console numbers and ELEX is still on top seller at page 2 at least.

Also it hasnt been a week, so steamspy numbers will still increase as the calculation stabilize.

There is still console sales, but i dunno how much.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So, when I see Heavy Arms in Elex and I got a bit excited. Is there like a minigun or grenade launcher weapon I can mostly use with 2Handy? Bows and rifles are kinda lame.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
So, when I see Heavy Arms in Elex and I got a bit excited. Is there like a minigun or grenade launcher weapon I can mostly use with 2Handy? Bows and rifles are kinda lame.

i have seen grenade launcher, RPGs, flamethrower in videos, hasnt found any tho. I did find some missiles ammos and rockets

This would be extremely difficult. You can’t join a faction until you hit level 15–for me that was roughly 20 hours in. And you can’t get magic until you join a faction. You’d have to dodge every single fight the game throws at you until the Berserkers will take you in.

For what it is worth, I believe the Outlaws offered to recruit me at level 9. I didn't try with the Berserkers, and am working my way through the initiation quest for the Clerics, but so far that would be doable at a very early level (I haven't had to fight anything... yet).

Fargus

Arcane

i have seen grenade launcher, RPGs, flamethrower in videos, hasnt found any tho. I did find some missiles ammos and rockets

I believe i found flamethrower in one of the bugs nests very close to Outlaw Fortress. I stole it using jetpack. Easy, but the requirements are too high for my low level char, so i'll just keep it for later.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom