Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX Pre-Release Thread

Modron

Arcane
I might misremember something but isn't this Patty?
cqPxWNs.jpg
She got breast enhancement surgery between risen 2 and 3. I kind of preferred her risen 2 appearance even if the face was a little more busted.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
No level scalling

Is this really true? If so, definite incline even if you take away the memery.

There's either no level scalling, or there is something like an MMORPG area scalling, so for example this area is rated for level 5 character this for level 10. Im not sure yet, im watching the video of this guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH2FoVTn_1U
Guy just went straight of the main quest into wildlands, and get killed repeatedly, because mobs are waaaay to strong.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
No level scalling

Is this really true? If so, definite incline even if you take away the memery.

There's either no level scalling, or there is something like an MMORPG area scalling, so for example this area is rated for level 5 character this for level 10. Im not sure yet, im watching the video of this guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH2FoVTn_1U
Guy just went straight of the main quest into wildlands, and get killed repeatedly, because mobs are waaaay to strong.
Obviously when you go into dangerous area, monsters would eat you immediately. That's not MMO like area scaling, that's quite common things from RPGs 20 years ago. Roads were typically safe, aside of tax collectors. On the other hand that dangerous stuff near start was quite often insta death.

Developers though it was test of intelligence if someone goes into tower of murder too soon. You could like go into correct direction in FO2, and you found end boss in first half hour (5 days of FO2 time, or was it FO1?)

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
You could like go into correct direction in FO2, and you found end boss in first half hour (5 days of FO2 time, or was it FO1?)

Don't really need explaining on level scalling or fallout 1/2 since i've played it many times. Still that doesn't answer my question because the video doesn't give any answers.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
You could like go into correct direction in FO2, and you found end boss in first half hour (5 days of FO2 time, or was it FO1?)

Don't really need explaining on level scalling or fallout 1/2 since i've played it many times. Still that doesn't answer my question because the video doesn't give any answers.
You don't need answers. When you'd have ELEX everything would be clear.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Even YES! has found the glory of ELEX. Praise be to ELEX! It is the only force in the world who could have ever made YES! friendly.

What? I'm very friendly to people who don't attack me or upset me with their poor taste or retardation.
It's all thanks to ELEX. You have been blessed by entering this thread. Remember when you called my mother a whore in another thread? ELEX is my mother. But ELEX is also the mother of everything. ELEX remembers, but it also forgives. It loves you, brother. As do I. ELEX VULT.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Can you explain me about what are they talking about? Is it because they have only experience with city women, or are they talking about something else?

Tis a joke. All PB games have really ugly, manly looking women. They're keeping the tradition alive.

Also, all PB games have no level scaling, that and you can usually complete most quests just by exploring and without triggering them from a quest giver. Makes exploration pretty fun.
Eh, Patty was alright. If clad in really retarded outfit for tropics.
QMlZAnV.jpg

i like how her boobs twice each sequel. Ifvthere were risen 4 she would boob homunculus

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
What immediately springs to attention is that this game will be forever tainted by clunky 2007 combat and obscene amount of HP-bloat. The UI is completely sterile and soulless too.

Pathetic that player standard sunk as low as to praise this overpriced mediocrity.

Agreed. This thread is pathetic and shows the worst of the Codex (outside of the GD forums).

Furthermore it's clear ELEX had been designed with PS4 and XONE in mind. The console UI and outdated graphics are a dead giveaway.

Truth is, a 50€ mediocre console RPG would have been shat on and torched under normal conditions.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Even YES! has found the glory of ELEX. Praise be to ELEX! It is the only force in the world who could have ever made YES! friendly.

What? I'm very friendly to people who don't attack me or upset me with their poor taste or retardation.
It's all thanks to ELEX. You have been blessed by entering this thread. Remember when you called my mother a whore in another thread? ELEX is my mother. But ELEX is also the mother of everything. ELEX remembers, but it also forgives. It loves you, brother. As do I. ELEX VULT.

In all fairness even the most chaste mothers get hot and moist and whorey when they see me. Until I start talking. The ladies need a little time to get accustomed to my personality. Then they want to be friends and annoy me with a lot of talking, so I have to be purposefully annoying until they see me as someone who is a good guy that says stupid shit and doesn't like paying attention or being too friendly.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Wait a second. This page is like screenshots of all women. I don't have to play a women do I?

pOcHa

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i not only laugh, but make sure to tell each person i meet with a nose ring that they put it on domesticated animals so that they wouldn't burrow underneath fences with their snout and try to escape

oh, and whoever is still wondering about level scaling (or haven't played any earlier PB games, and doubts if ELEX incline is just a meme) - he should definitely take a look at this video, and educate his sorry ass about what he was missing all this time (we of course like to pretend that Risen 2 and 3 never existed, very much just like the Matrix sequels):

if only Gothic 1 was released on consoles (it came out before Morrowind) and Gothic 3 wasn't so rushed and buggy - we may have avoided the GameBryo decline altogether...

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Just watched a stream where the player and his companion took 30 minutes to kill a velociraptor.

Also, the PC was a medieval knight wearing chainmail, sword, shield and... a jetpack? wtf?

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Just watched a stream where the player and his companion took 30 minutes to kill a velociraptor.

Also, the PC was a medieval knight wearing chainmail, sword, shield and... a jetpack? wtf?
elex transcend theme, time and space.

Finally a game (aside from new vegas) where you can be a cowboy wielding laser pistol and fighting mutants plus mech.

frajaq

Erudite
oh, and whoever is still wondering about level scaling (or haven't played any earlier PB games, and doubts if ELEX incline is just a meme) - he should definitely take a look at this video, and educate his sorry ass about what he was missing all this time (we of course like to pretend that Risen 2 and 3 never existed, very much just like the Matrix sequels):

Thanks for this, I can appreciate the good points of the game (even if I dislike medieval settings so it wouldn't be my kind of game anyway)

I'm gonna pay close attention to the game and see after it launches if it's worth buying

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
someone translated pankratz interview on steam:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/411300/discussions/0/1488861734124411843/

Disclaimer:
This is not a literal translation of the complete interview as I tried to focus only on the Q&A and the interesting information. Small talk and repeating parts I did not write down.

Have fun reading.

Q1: As a developer, what do you do the last days before release?

A1: Some things we are already preparing for the new game which are very closely related to the time schedule of the master or until release and somehow “melt” with each other. There is no three months vacation between releases.

And yes there are many appointments you have to comply to, like this interview. Also we want to make sure our product (Elex) to be as good as possible. We are still patching which means we have already send out our master for PC but are currently preparing the day-one patch. On consoles this has to happen through a submission. Which means Sony and Microsoft have to look at it and approve or not. Normally this takes some weeks. But if they have agreed to one build you are stuck with it and it becomes your release version 1.0. You can’t change that anymore. So when we release at 17th this means that with the current submission for Sony PlayStation 4 and Xbox One we should be ready – we are ready.

It is difficult to understand what we have to do now. We have to see if we can fix known bugs in a coming patch but this patch has to go through submission process again – very complex.

-----

Q2: This would mean that the day-one patches will be released a bit later for consoles?

A2: Or they are day-one or are what you have achieved until now where you say “OK this is now three weeks before release” and you can manage to get the submission done until release. Otherwise you need to plan some days in advance when to release a patch. Days or even weeks.

And very very close to release we have feedback from people who are currently playing the game. But everything from this feedback would be implemented in a later state. At such a time you just don’t stop to working. Than comes the release but you still don’t stop working…(he repeats himself now so I stopped translating)

-----

Q3: Elex 2 is in planning process, how far in development are you and your team now? Like story-wise?

A3: We are currently planning for the next project. That it could be Elex 2 I have never said and I should not do that. Yes we are currently making some plans and there are rumors and people are discussing them, but which project we are working on I’m not allowed to tell.

-----

Q4: For Elex you made the music completely by yourself or did you have additional help?

A4: I did get some feedback from musicians but in a way that I got a list where they told me some details I should change. But after that list there was no more intervention. I make music since 25 years but never commercially in a way that I sold something or did it for someone else. For Elex it made sense to do it myself. In the past I interfered in and supported our sound design – even during Gothic in the background. It always was a burning desire to do it. I worked on the music besides my normal work and in summary it took me half a year to complete, after working hours at home composing and cutting with my own private equipment.

-----

Q5: So you are satisfied with your music?

A5: Yes of course I’m satisfied. Especially because it is my debut. On one hand I have this music experience but on the other hand, when you finally make something out of it – it’s like poker, at one moment you show what you have. You either have a full house or not.

Q6: We heard a lot of times that Elex is 1,5x bigger than Gothic 3, but how big is it compared to Risen 1?

A6: We never made this comparison. Risen 1 was in any case, from the “playing-field” smaller (than G3), but how much smaller I don’t know. It was much more compact and the world was build differently. There were less free areas like in Elex or G3. The areas in Risen 1 were much smaller. It’s hard to compare these games (Elex and Risen 1).

-----

Q7: I understand what you mean. I’m currently playing Risen 1 again and it fells more compact and crowded, not as open and wide as probably Elex will be. It is often the case that your first games are smaller (area-wise) than your later ones or not?

A7: Yes. Maybe that’s also because of the current Zeitgeist. If you go to the market and tell that you have an open world RPG and you want to design it in an epic way, with three factions you can join and a fourth which is the big threat and an opulent setting, complex with a lot of facet... you can’t have these kind of small areas anymore.

If you go into a desert it must feel like one. You need space as in G3 where you cross from one zone (transit zone) into another like from the forest area to the desert area or the ice area (in G3). Basically you need space and finally we ended up with the size Elex has now.

-----

Q8: Can we change all key bindings?

A8: I think we have made so many settings available like in no other project before. So yes all keys can be changed. However on consoles I’m not sure.

-----

Q9: Does taking Elex affect your “coldness” because until now it was more like what you do (in case of coldness).

A9: Yes and yes.

-----

Q10: Will Elex support 21:9 resolution?

A10: Yes I think we tested it. So yes.

-----

Q11: Can you give a statement about the console version? Is it as good as the PC version?

A11: On every game you have to consider that a PC can do more than a console and the more time goes the better PC systems get and the worse consoles become. This means on some parts we had to compromise but both versions are very close to each other.

-----

Q12: Is there a difference between Xbox One and Xbox One X version or is nothing planned in this case?

A12: We have a plan which is not finished yet. But we are currently working on it.

-----

Q13: The Elex logo. Can you explain what it does symbolize?

A13: Originally the working title for Elex was Evolution because my concept for the game was designed around the evolution of humans. Basically what does it mean to be human – from a cave man to a futuristic Darth Vader who can wield magic and has a laser sword or similar. Later this idea merged to different guilds which we now call Berserkers (medieval + magic), Outlaws (post-apocalyptic Mad Max style) and Clerics (futuristic). To combine these parts into a logo was the task.

I like short words for game titles. The word Elex stems from life-elixir. A substance which influences your life, makes you strong but somehow changes your feelings. So the logo needed to have some blue elements because blue symbolizes coldness. In Magellan (the world of Elex) where ice is there is Elex.

The blue orb-thing in the logo is something like a heavenly body (meteor?) and the curve is the planet. The Elex title art-style is a mix of a dwarven-medieval-forged-iron which you could build into a robot.

pOcHa

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
np, here are a couple of more good ones:

whoever complains about outdated graphics and/or clunky animation, is like saying planescape torment was a bad game because it had awful combat - the latter was all about the story/narrative, and the former still has yet of unsurpassed/unparalleled immersion and atmosphere

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
^ gothic 1 and 2 is still the pinnacle of open world rpg design. i love it so much. getting into it was a massive undertaking. when i first played gothic back in 2014 (so i am a fairly new fan, so "nostalgia glasses" doesnt apply to me mostly) it looked friggin ugly, the game ran like shit and the controls are straight out of nightmare. i had to quit. several months later, i decided to give it a try again. came into same problem, but i persist and endure. it's like being an east german who climbed the wall, walked trough minefield watched with sniper to get to the west. it was a humoungous effort, but when you reach the other side, the reward is just so worth it and began to love the journey and destination all the same.

when i got to the camp, taked with people, learning the conrtols, patching the game with unofficial patches and compability patches, i can't help but fall in love

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Trying to play Gothic 2 but at first my patches did not work, there were no voices and then it all broke with boot to black. Hopefully after a fresh install and Gothic 2 Steam patch I can get it all to work properly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom