Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Thanks!

Contrary to the standard in PoE, where nations are multiracial, Rauatai is described as an "Aumaua nation". This permits the game to treat the subject of Rauatai-Aumauan nationalism-racism, which can be interesting if handled correctly.

This ties in with the subject of the thread I started a few days ago.

Another curious thing - Aumaua were one of the "exotic" races in PoE's context, and in PoE2 we'll have a chance to see them in the role typically reserved for "the fantasy race which resembles the dominant, oppressive colonial power that were western colonial powers of the 16th-19th c.". I think that's a cute turn on the fashionable trope of "white people as bad guys".

I just wish they treat the worldbuilding seriously and realistically and let it develop through its internal logic instead of trying to be didactical.

This is
rating_oldman.png
http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=10548

One of the factions colonizing the Deafire Archipelago is an aumaua nation, same race as the natives. Is this a factor in their activities there? Greater Eastern Reach Co-Prosperity Sphere against the original western human imperialists?

JS: I think it is something that comes up. It's an element of it. I think Carrie can talk about it probably in a little more detail.

CP: There is a shared history between those two groups. This sense of shared history which the local culture interprets one way, and the external nation interprets another way, is one of the problems and tensions that exists between them. The external Rauataian nation is certainly interested in colonizing the Deadfire and in integrating the Huana people in a way that maybe the Huana people aren't all so excited about.

(my question!)

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I didn't notice it at the time I guess. But I didn't mean I'm curious only about the Rautai-Huana's perception of each other.

So the Russian codexers here are really unique.
The upside is that if you spot an obvious retard, it's unlikely that he will be Russian :D

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
You could translate it to Nigerian or Burundian, as they probably have 0 translated games, but I doubt you'll see much sales :p

Prime Junta

"If you speak two languages, you're a nationalist. If you speak three languages, you're a Zionist. But if you only speak one, you're an internationalist." Old Soviet saying.

Mazisky

Magister
Btw the order in which languages stretch goals appeared are more or less the same order of PoE sales by country. Simple as that.

Prime Junta

Since Pillars of Eternity is a very Eurocentric game

P2 is set in the Deadfire Archipelago, which is more Indonesia than Europe.

i know, but it's also written by Americans using English, addressing American and European audience.

Still, nothing wrong with it, but translation and localization to Eastern language will be really hard lol.

Because East Asians are never watch Western TV or movies, listen to Western music, or play Western games. :M

erickaqua

Educated
What? I never said that it's impossible to do, I said it's very hard and you need to spend lots of man hour (and money) to get it right.

Or else you will get 90s Woolsey translation where Ramza yelled "Geronimo!", even when the source material is the most Eurocentric of all JRPGs.

Prime Junta

What? I never said that it's impossible to do, I said it's very hard and you need to spend lots of man hour (and money) to get it right.

Or else you will get 90s Woolsey translation where Ramza yelled "Geronimo!", even when the source material is the most Eurocentric of all JRPGs.

No doubt translating a Western cultural artefact for consumption in the exotic Orient for the first time will be a task of no small challenge

Nigerian or Burundian

Look at this:

23.png

All niggers.

But beware of mudslime niggers. Mos cancerous of them all.

Christian niggers from Africa are quite cool actually.

The Dindu Nuffin niggers raised in Kwa are almost as bad as the mudslime niggers.

And Josh cucked multiclass again for :balance:

Any more cucking I am unaware of?

Also, most importantly;

Is combat xp in?

erickaqua

Educated

No doubt translating a Western cultural artefact for consumption in the exotic Orient for the first time will be a task of no small challenge

I don't understand your need for sarcasm here lol, just because people do it before doesn't make a *good* translation from English to Asian language any less expensive, especially for 60 hour text heavy RPG with lots of characters in it.

Either Obsidian will opt for readable-but-awkward translation, or they can get good translation by sharing profit with their localization partners.

Prime Junta

I don't understand your need for sarcasm here lol, just because people do it before doesn't make a *good* translation from English to Asian language any less expensive, especially for 60 hour text heavy RPG with lots of characters in it.

Either Obsidian will opt for readable-but-awkward translation, or they can get good translation by sharing profit with their localization partners.

Asian languages are nigh-on incomprehensible, it is clearly a task of remarkable magnitude to effect a translation into one of them.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire

I don't think it should be any more expensive than regular translation, you just need a translator who speaks the language well and understands the cultural background of both languages so idioms and subtle remarks can be translated with the meaning intact. It's same as any major other language.

erickaqua

Educated
Last edited:

Flou

Arbiter
Yeah, sure, we'll see how they fare lol. I can't imagine Obsidian spending lots of money on translation anyway, if PoE 1 is an indicator:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/72251-i-must-tell-you-what-is-a-game-breaker/

Their publisher might have had a thing or two to do with the translations though. Even if it's fully on Obsidian, they are not a publisher who've done tons of translated games already, so they have to build those relationships from scratch with possible translators/translation teams. I don't know if there's some sort of database for developers where to check which translators do a horrible job.
And while some companies might have good reputation translating games, most games aren't as text heavy as Pillars. It's a whole different thing to translate a game with so much text than it is to translate something like Call of Duty.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't think Josh means "Stoic" as in an adherent to the philosophical school. More like "sullen", "stone-faced". Which is more the opposite of "Clever" if used in the sense of "a joker".

Neanderthal

Arcane
So hes going for flippant/serious then? He seems to use English pretty poorly (yeah i'm one to talk) a fair bit, perhaps he needs to run this kinda thing by a writer. I still can't understand why Rogue is suddenly a "brutal fighter" in Poe instead on an ill disciplined and possibly law breaking individual, seems like a bloody big stretch for a class that should really be called an assassin.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom