Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Beamdog working on a new D&D CRPG (cancelled)

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
It's a typical newbie mistake: every beginner in gamedev always starts with "hey let's do it like in REAL LIFE", only to realize much later that real life isn't a good source of inspiration for game mechanics or artistic styles for the fantasy genre. Yeah, some semblance of real life is necessary, but having realistic axes is tantamount to having to eat and drink with your character every few hours. The game isn't about reality, we have already plenty of that around us.

Realistic axes go well with generic medieval fantasy (game of thrones, etc), which isn't being used here.

I never commended beandong for anything, but these concepts are fine.

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
From concept artist's portfolio: https://www.artstation.com/artist/amycornelson/albums/553123

bTRfZih.jpg

Axe Designs

Headsman's axe designs I did for Beamdog.

Seriously, the person behind this needs to learn how an actual axe works. :D Being forced to split wood with these for a week would be a fitting punishment.
Where the fuck did the artist get the idea for these designs? An Elton John garage sale?

hell bovine

Arcane
From concept artist's portfolio: https://www.artstation.com/artist/amycornelson/albums/553123

bTRfZih.jpg

Axe Designs

Seriously, the person behind this needs to learn how an actual axe works. :D Being forced to split wood with these for a week would be a fitting punishment.

Axes used for executions weren't necessarily used for mundane purposes, though. Some of these designs look weird, but some look inspired by this (photo from a museum on crime history):
06_Henkersbeil.JPG

I don't think you'd have much luck chopping wood with that one either.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Not to mention an actual battle axe which was usually the most mundane looking piece of equipment imagineable.

507_2-1024x730.jpg

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
For instruments of murder and blood, they sure do have fancy names. Marteau de Lucerne, Vougue, Langue de boeuf, I feel :obviously: just by typing them.

laclongquan

Arcane
It's a typical newbie mistake: every beginner in gamedev always starts with "hey let's do it like in REAL LIFE", only to realize much later that real life isn't a good source of inspiration for game mechanics or artistic styles for the fantasy genre. Yeah, some semblance of real life is necessary, but having realistic axes is tantamount to having to eat and drink with your character every few hours. The game isn't about reality, we have already plenty of that around us.

Realistic axes go well with generic medieval fantasy (game of thrones, etc), which isn't being used here.

I never commended beandong for anything, but these concepts are fine.

I am partially agreeing with you which is why I think what we have is not "bad realistic axes" BUT "bad conceptual fantasy axe". IE bad artist.

Shit is bad, is why. When you are drawing some "axe" thing, there're certain concept come with that term. The art fail to convey those concept.

Look at this

https://www.artstation.com/artist/amycornelson/albums/553123

bTRfZih.jpg

They are not what I envision as "axe", fantasy or not, scifi or not.

It might some sticks, some staves, some long-handled weapons... but not axes.

Brancaleone

Prophet
Did somebody mention pole-axes?

polearm-family.jpg

Beamdog should be consulting the appendices of AD&D's Unearthed Arcana. Instead, they're off hiring David Gaider.
They definitely shouldn't consult the table you linked, there are several crass errors in it.

axx

Savant
You won't be scaring anyone on the battlefield with those. They appear more appropriate for Vatican guards.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
At this rate I'd rather not see what they'd do to swords.

My guess is that they'll be oversized to the point that nothing resembling a human could lift them and the blades will be shaped in a way which makes them more unpractical than any Indian ceremonial sword you'll ever see.
Speaking of which, what exactly started the HUEG sword trope? Berserk is probably the earliest example I can think of that had them, but it's continuously pointed out within the manga that Dragonslayer should be too large and heavy for practical use.

himmy

Arcane

bTRfZih.jpg

Axe Designs

Seems pretty obvious they're ceremonial items, but whatever, I'm interrupting a bunch of nerds explaining to each other how axes work, like they're fucking lumberjacks or something.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
It's not that explaining how an axe works takes much brainpower: concentrate the largest impulse possible on a piece of blade. It's for all intents and purposes a purely offensive weapon/tool. You want to carve up something offering resistance: get an axe. So umm those thins would probably fall apart after 2 minutes of actual combat, just a look those narrow forged links. A good lateral blow would tear the axehead right off the shaft.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom