Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
The Chicken+rupture combo is good but it requires getting rid of the enemies physical armour and disabling them. At that point they are pretty much dead anyway. That fight I had my elven ranger on the rock in the bottom corner left corner of the screen and killed the witch in three shots leaving me an extra attack because of executioner. Also a rogue could burst her in 1 turn too probably.

Good showcase I guess although this is intended behaviour and should not be patched.

Sentinel

Arcane
Whoops, I missed that: http://www.pcgamer.com/after-furthe...sin-2s-infinite-damage-loop-is-being-removed/

After further review, Divinity: Original Sin 2's infinite damage loop is being removed
It turns out it's an "unintended bug," despite what we heard yesterday.

I was surprised yesterday when Divinity: Original Sin 2 producer David Walgrave told me that the damage loop seen in the video above would not be removed. "It appears that it is not a never-ending loop and you're not doing anything else while you're doing it," he wrote.

As you can see in the video, however, the trick cycles through a feedback loop that drains a troll's entire health bar. (Head to yesterday's story for an explanation of how it works.) So even if it is within the confines of Original Sin 2's spell logic, it's just a tad OP.

I followed up with Larian, and today the developer informed me that after looking into the trick further, "the team determined that this is in fact an unintended bug, for which a patch will be issued ASAP."

Despite this particular instance of clever spell synergies being identified as a bug, Larian reiterated what it told me yesterday, saying that it "applauds creative approaches to the game" and only 'fixes' one if it "really breaks the fun of the game or something goes wrong at some point."

So while there are many, many allowable—and possibly very powerful—spell synergies accounted for, this was apparently one that slipped through testing undetected, and wasn't intentional. Personally, I didn't plan to pursue the trick, as wiping 6000 HP with a few spells doesn't feel quite like it's in the spirit of the tactical turn-based combat I've been enjoying so far. Though if you were enjoying the trick, I'm sorry to say it's on its way out.

With or without the Soul Mate loop trick, Divinity: Original Sin 2 is one of my favorite games of the year. Fraser digs in to why in his review.
Step 1) Make a system that allows for creative ways of facing enemies.
Step 2) See that players have found creative ways of getting past tough enemies.
Step 3) Remove them.
Welcome to Larian Studios.

Prime Junta

I'm getting the feeling that someone is about to be de-throned as the Public Enemy of Fun.

:swen:
:littlemissfun:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Step 1) Make a system that allows for creative ways of facing enemies.
Step 2) See that players have found creative ways of getting past tough enemies.
Step 3) Remove them.
Welcome to Larian Studios.

It's really more than just a creative tactic though. An effect that triggers itself infinite times within a single turn isn't just cheesy, it's also against the principles of turn-based combat. It's like, imagine a potion that's supposed to regenerate your health over time, but instead of 25 HP every turn it gives you 25 HP every second in real time.

You could fix that rather than remove it entirely.

Last edited:

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
They're right in removing blatant exploits. I disliked second half of DOS1 because I've stumbled upon a good combo and it worked well on everybody. I had to go out of my way to find use for other skills to get similar result. I'd love DOS1 if it forced me to experiment more after Act 1. Hope Enhanced Edition made it so.

Of course you can say that we could just ignore overpowered Chicken spell but that would mean that skill with that spell is less useful and we have to change builds and so on and so on. Let them make the game more interesting.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
That was a blatant exploit, it's not "creative use of mechanics". Like Infinitron said, the loop is applied in real time rather than in a turn-based manner, so in effect it's literally breaking the rules and mechanics. If the damage was applied each turn indefinitely then it wouldn't have been a problem.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I'm getting the feeling that someone is about to be de-throned as the Public Enemy of Fun.

:swen:
:littlemissfun:
wW1I13g.png

I rate this post :negative:.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Have they patched the Infinite Gold Bug yet?

EDIT:
(Sell a merchant a bag filled with gold worth more than their entire gold reserve, then when you buy the bag back, the cost you spent goes inside the bag as you buy it, allowing you to completely drain a merchant of all their gold and giving it to you)

Allows you to artificially increase your reputation with merchants too. (Or anyone really)

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
What is swornbreaker for? I've gave it to almira, but nothing happened after that, she wasn't in the final fight or else.

Can you use it on for example Kemm to break his allegiance/sworn to god king?

Edit: Oh and last fight is really hard if you try to fight both lucian and dallis and then fight Braccus. I'm not talking about lone wolf.

edit: Oh and game didnt aknowledge that i've killed dorotya, had her in the ending living , good and dandy:lol:

Last edited:

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Volrath working overtime for that fanboy tag. It's telling that you haven't posted in the thread since page 28 or addressed any criticisms, yet negrep them all anyway. Please tell me you're not doing this for free because that's just sad. Larian made a killing, i'm sure they can spare a few shekels to buy you some courage, cowardly lion.
I don't have to justify my shitposting to some random faggot on the Codex.

In short: go fuck yourself.

Quillon

Arcane
Will the ship ever get people on board? Done with the Reaper's Coast and there's still like 5 characters on board da huge ugly ass transatlantic cruise ship.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Gotta love working for those well hidden chests only to get in return 50 gold and a fucking egg:argh:
Gotta make Wits useful somehow, now aren't they?

Can any one combine :swen: 's bobbing head with :littlemissfun: ?
I tried, but the balanced scales and shit are a .png that looks like shit when converted to .gif.

I will forever not forgive the industry for not adopting .apng as a standard. Gifs are fucking ancient.
I don't have to justify my shitposting to some random faggot on the Codex.
The random faggot said, as he shitposted on the Codex in an attempt to justify himself.

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Have they patched the Infinite Gold Bug yet?

EDIT:
(Sell a merchant a bag filled with gold worth more than their entire gold reserve, then when you buy the bag back, the cost you spent goes inside the bag as you buy it, allowing you to completely drain a merchant of all their gold and giving it to you)

Allows you to artificially increase your reputation with merchants too. (Or anyone really)

Haha that's an actually cool bug. Must be fixed of course but I like the logical fallacy that leads to it :P

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Hey guys if anyone have problem with the fight at the lizard consulate,use tornado it is level 3 air magic.It could even destroy the bugged necrofire in the wall.Also it can remove deathfog.

Salvo

Arcane
Hey guys if anyone have problem with the fight at the lizard consulate,use tornado it is level 3 air magic.It could even destroy the bugged necrofire in the wall.Also it can remove deathfog.

Just sneak past them and avoid the fight altogether. The important things lie beyond anyway.

Salvo

Arcane
What is swornbreaker for? I've gave it to almira, but nothing happened after that, she wasn't in the final fight or else.

Can you use it on for example Kemm to break his allegiance/sworn to god king?

Edit: Oh and last fight is really hard if you try to fight both lucian and dallis and then fight Braccus. I'm not talking about lone wolf.

edit: Oh and game didnt aknowledge that i've killed dorotya, had her in the ending living , good and dandy:lol:

You can use it to break the Covenant on either yourself, Windego or Sadha (the Red Princess). Kemm could have broken the vow on himself at any time since he is the one that owns the scythe, but chose not to

Black

Arcane
Whoops, I missed that: http://www.pcgamer.com/after-furthe...sin-2s-infinite-damage-loop-is-being-removed/

After further review, Divinity: Original Sin 2's infinite damage loop is being removed
It turns out it's an "unintended bug," despite what we heard yesterday.

I was surprised yesterday when Divinity: Original Sin 2 producer David Walgrave told me that the damage loop seen in the video above would not be removed. "It appears that it is not a never-ending loop and you're not doing anything else while you're doing it," he wrote.

As you can see in the video, however, the trick cycles through a feedback loop that drains a troll's entire health bar. (Head to yesterday's story for an explanation of how it works.) So even if it is within the confines of Original Sin 2's spell logic, it's just a tad OP.

I followed up with Larian, and today the developer informed me that after looking into the trick further, "the team determined that this is in fact an unintended bug, for which a patch will be issued ASAP."

Despite this particular instance of clever spell synergies being identified as a bug, Larian reiterated what it told me yesterday, saying that it "applauds creative approaches to the game" and only 'fixes' one if it "really breaks the fun of the game or something goes wrong at some point."

So while there are many, many allowable—and possibly very powerful—spell synergies accounted for, this was apparently one that slipped through testing undetected, and wasn't intentional. Personally, I didn't plan to pursue the trick, as wiping 6000 HP with a few spells doesn't feel quite like it's in the spirit of the tactical turn-based combat I've been enjoying so far. Though if you were enjoying the trick, I'm sorry to say it's on its way out.

With or without the Soul Mate loop trick, Divinity: Original Sin 2 is one of my favorite games of the year. Fraser digs in to why in his review.
It's like that thing Black was talking about.
Yeah we applaud your creativity but think you're having too much fun.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Bit late to the party, as I was traveling during launch and only started playing halfway through last week.

I'm undecided on the combat changes. Ultimately, they appear to trade the effectiveness of weird and creative solutions for more consistent challenge. The previous game let you get away with a lot of silly stuff, but optimized strategies and builds trivialized it even on Tactician. I don't think DOS2 Armor is such a bad idea, but it's a bit too binary, and overall too valuable - hard to justify not giving every party member a shield, it's that good. Making it weaken status effects instead of outright blocking them would probably be a good change for the future. I agree with the criticism that it restricts tactics somewhat, but crowd control had a similar effect in the first game, so it's ultimately a different kind of poison. What I do like about armor, is that being able to regenerate it in various ways in combat adds more depth to it, and permits defensive play that doesn't consist of disabling all the enemies. Judgement pending until I finish the game, but right now it feels like a sidegrade to a great combat system - that is, it's still great, if not necessarily an improvement.

The game thus far really reminds me of BG2 in a good way - putting aside its systems, it has really high quality content, with a lot of variety, good encounter design, and excellent pacing - a very important thing for games with slow TB combat. It has just the right mix of exploration, dialogue, combat and dungeon crawling. Only aspect that remains below par is the itemization, and the annoying level-gating Divinity games have always suffered from.

I was afraid that, in their efforts to make the tone more serious, Larian's writers would lose the whimsical charm that made their previous games memorable - thankfully this is not the case. I'm certainly intrigued by where the plot is headed - it's an interesting spin on the tired chosen one story. I do really like that the competitive aspect, along with how party interactions play out, make your party members feel like independent agents with their own agendas, rather than lackeys or cultists - most party RPGs get this wrong, even the really good ones.

I think overall I'm enjoying this game more than the previous one, primarily because of the improved pacing. Will see how I feel after I'm done, but for now, I'm happy.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom