Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Stompa

Arcane
I don't know why people think that Might = physical strength

Because that's what it's used for in dialogues and scripted interactions. You either do stuff associate with physical strength or physically intimidate somebody.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Why should having a higher IQ make your fireballs hotter, eh? The Int->AoE mechanic makes more sense insofar as one can rationalize intelligence as allowing the caster to manipulate the spell's spatial physics more efficiently or something.

As for the companions, it might not be anything more than not wanting to discourage people with a sequence like "Hi, meet Eder, your first companion. He can be anything. Choose one of 11 classes."

That's a bit weak. Just have a option in the options menu with a clear disclaimer and then when you meet companions the game launches a character creation menu

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Why should having a higher IQ make your fireballs hotter, eh? The Int->AoE mechanic makes more sense insofar as one can rationalize intelligence as allowing the caster to manipulate the spell's spatial physics more efficiently or something.

As for the companions, it might not be anything more than not wanting to discourage people with a sequence like "Hi, meet Eder, your first companion. He can be anything. Choose one of 11 classes."

That's a bit weak. Just have a option in the options menu with a clear disclaimer and then when you meet companions the game launches a character creation menu

Better yet, have an option for the game to check your medical records for signs of autism.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Meh, first game also had a lot checks for a lot of things. But most of those things were trivial and unnoticeable sometimes even on subsequent playthrough. For example, Raedrik's castle has a lot of hidden checks, but I never noticed any of them until I read about it on official wiki.

What makes AoD special isn't just extensive scripting and tons of checks, it's that those checks are meaningful, both for storyfags and autist power gamers (more SP for harder stuff).

Ulfhednar

Savant

But this effectively cuts off all narrative choices in the game for veterans who want a challenge, because you need to take the mercenary companions from the inn that you can spec to fit your party, rather than play the same cookie-cutter builds that match the unoptimized stats of the story companions. So your playthrough is either narrative focused or your doing it for challenging combat, but you can't do both at the same time. I would like to see them put the option in - they just need a disclaimer that says "Yo newb, Eder is meant to be a fighter or rogue... if you want the story to be consistent, hands off that button." D:OS 2 proves it can be done.

Ulfhednar

Savant
Honestly, an easy fix would be to make it part of the Berath's Blessing system so it's locked for your original playthrough, but at some point they should let you mess with the companions' stats and classes.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Ah, yes, checks. The majority of PoE's checks were things that the person you were talking to would've said if you haven't picked that option. Not that I expect them to be like AoD, but some branching would be nice.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's shit. Plenty of people would love to have full control over the stat sheet on their first play through, munchkins gotta munchkin. Have it as an option in the menu you can bypass at a minimum

Lacrymas

Arcane
Yeah, because on a first playthrough you are going to know which stat/feat/talent is useful and which isn't.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
guys i just discovered gesado software and was playing POE at 4k downsampled @ 77hz

it looks

aaaaaaa maazing. should've taken pics. since this is my first nvidia rig, also tried out (using inspector) OGSM (or whatever) super sampling. Ordered Grid Sample something or other. Anyway, 2x of dat shit combined with occlusion/fxaa/mfaa TURNED OFF (no blur please) and 2x msaa for transparency aa...

i never had more fun with POE than at that moment, man, it looks so good. Obviously i didn't bother actually playing it for real, but the GRAPHICS WOWZERS. it's a fantastic looking screen saver and the ambient sounds in dyrford are so lovely could also be used as ASMR background for sleeping!

if u goys got decent rig google "downsample resolution gesado nvidia" and do this shit and go look at PoE running at 3840 x 2160 resolution.

oops i mean go play it at that resolujtion .

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
my dealer sucks, he's called bipolar type ii. he gives me lithium and a bunch of other crap.

Ulfhednar

Savant
It's shit. Plenty of people would love to have full control over the stat sheet on their first play through, munchkins gotta munchkin. Have it as an option in the menu you can bypass at a minimum
That's my preference too, but if they're insistent on not doing that for new players, it would be nice if veterans had a way to eventually unlock that feature. It's called compromise .

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It's not really about munchkinning, I usually build weird, off-kilter builds and try to make them work. It's just about allowing the player to toy with the mechanics of the game

Lacrymas

Arcane
You wouldn't know what those off-kilter builds are on the first playthrough. I don't know if you are capable of clairvoyance, but I usually can't predict what will be good/bad/weird in a character system on my very first glance of it.

Parabalus

Arcane
It's pointless to create your own party in PoE because the difficulty doesn't support it. There would have to be a setting harder than PotD to justify munchkining your companions, currently it just breaks all semblance of balance.

Prime Junta

It's pointless to create your own party in PoE because the difficulty doesn't support it. There would have to be a setting harder than PotD to justify munchkining your companions, currently it just breaks all semblance of balance.

To be fair, this is also the case for all of the IE games. Even the IWDs which assume you're building your own party. Make a really properly optimised one and it is a bit of a snooze.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom