Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
every time i accidentally clicked on a backer npc i was sawyer-raped

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
https://twitter.com/a_man_in_black/status/868736440032571393

Yup http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...g-dumping-ground.90469/page-2413#post-5130974

That's what I was gonna ask, lol. The first thing that came to mind was Durance's cut treatment of GM, I think it was implied he raped her.

Maerwald's awakened souls come to mind.

Additionally, the situation in Blood Legacy.

As for Durance/GM that didn't come across as rape to me, just extreme torture. And as Avellone noted

The damage she did to him, arguably in self-defense, was considerable and far outweighed what was done to her.

Sentinel

Arcane
The loot in PoE was pretty fucking shit so that prospect isn't exactly enticing.

Let's just say I have more faith in Sawyer's ability to learn from mistakes than your ability to read a thread and process new information.
Is there info on the loot I missed? I only remember him talking about the crafting (almost no info, just "it's better this time i swear") and collecting other ship's flags when you defeat them.

Fry

Arcane
I have no idea what ship combat will accomplish. I was making zee joke. It's a fair bet it will provide some sort of reward though, eh? That's usually how RPGs work.

I do have confidence that itemization will be better in Deadfire. Because I played the White March. And I've read the many interviews linked ITT.

Sentinel

Arcane
Every RPG I've ever played that had random encounters, the only reward was experience (which was capped per monster in a playthrough in PoE because of the bestiary, and I've seen no indication that this system is changing). I hope Sawyer will at least put some fun (eh) shit in them. The itemization in White March was the same shit as the base game aside from the Soulbound weapons, and you can't seriously expect every weapon in PoE2 to be like that.

I also remember the interviews before PoE and taking them as gospel. Sounded like a match made in heaven, a divine mozzarella. Then it came out.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
About random encounters - DA:O had great random encounters because they were all unique. They weren't random encounters alla JRPGs, but most of them were scripted and didn't only have monsters to kill. Think of Fallout's random encounters as well. PoE's will be very pointless if they are simply RNG based fights like JRPGs because there's no xp for combat after a certain point.

Got bored and left

About random encounters - DA:O had great random encounters because they were all unique. They weren't random encounters alla JRPGs, but most of them were scripted and didn't only have monsters to kill. Think of Fallout's random encounters as well. PoE's will be very pointless if they are simply RNG based fights like JRPGs because there's no xp for combat after a certain point.

I might be misremembering, but I think they showed that there are gonna be different flavours of sea encounters, much like the things that can happen to you in the streets of Nehetaka - say, you might find an abandoned merchant ship and decide what to do with it, etc. It's all based on their storybook scripted interactions, so that gives them a lot of flexibility. I hope they use it.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
The next update is planned for wednesday. I'm too lazy to link the tweet, but Mike Somethingorother said so in JS's thread.

Quillon

Arcane

They said numerous times there won't be random/generated encounters, but yeah lets assume they will make RNG based fights like JRPGS and shit.

Sentinel

Arcane
But the random encounters in DA:O were pointless too.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Random encounters" in DA:O were a finite collection of events that triggered randomly when you travelled on the world map. Randomly selected, not randomly generated. Eventually you'd run out of them (except the merchant who could be encountered multiple times IIRC).

Sentinel

Arcane
But the random encounters in DA:O were pointless too.

They gave xp + unique items or materials (like the star metal), I think one merchant sold attribute books as well.
The only reward is exp. The dwarf merchant's only unique item is a necklace that gives +10 mental resistance, everything else can be found/bought elsewhere. As for the material, you can't even do anything with it unless you have the soldier's peak dlc IIRC.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom