Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex GMDX: Deus Ex Advancement Mod v9 Released!

Ash

Arcane
You finally playing, bro? Did you play an older version? I don't recall. Regardless, thanks for your ongoing support.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I played through the game with GMDX v8.0, but one pet peeve of mine was that there was very little ammo for the pistol. Has that been remedied for v9.0?

If you're trying to use one gun the whole game that isn't going to work, though. Through ammo restriction it forces diversity, as well as encourages players to get creative with non-gun alternatives, and deepens resource manangement.

Yeah I take a bit of issue with that. In the Deus Ex universe the 10mm pistol is the standard sidearm for almost all military and police across the entire world, ammo for it should be in abundance, and from the gameplay perspective ammo for the 10mm pistol is rare later on while shotgun and AR ammo is everywhere.

---

What's the code for Smuggler's mirror?
I can't find it anywhere, and it's different from vanilla's one.

It's not and never was a code you could find legitimately in-game.

Heh, I was about to ask whether that code ever existed and pondered whether you would intentionally change it just to screw up the people who googled for Deus ex codes.

Ash

Arcane
Yeah I take a bit of issue with that. In the Deus Ex universe the 10mm pistol is the standard sidearm for almost all military and police across the entire world, ammo for it should be in abundance, and from the gameplay perspective ammo for the 10mm pistol is rare later on while shotgun and AR ammo is everywhere.

Vanilla design:

10mm: found in abundance early on. Late game rarer.
7.62mm and Shells: rarer early game, common late game.

This is not changed.

The frequency in which you encounter ammo boxes is minimally changed (especially on lower diffs), the primary difference comes from ammo counts found per pickup. Overall it's really not all that different (approximately 0% less ammo on lower difis, 15% less on higher diffs) and pulling the lore card ain't going to work, as you still trip over 10mm early game, and encounter it late game a lot less often, just like vanilla.
Also the 10mm isn't standard issue for MJ12, evidently.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
If there was one ammo type that needed a reduction it really wasn't 10mm. 10mm being in abundance in any stage of the game makes sense as again it is the most common pistol there is in 2052. Just tossing in 1 or 2 rounds of 10mm for most MJ12 guards would essentially fix the issue without making it too abundant and give you a backup if you do happen to entirely run dry of everything else.
And as far as I can remember, yeah, the 10mm pistol is the standard issue sidearm for MJ12, the guard near your jail in the escape carries one.

Old One

Arcane
Question: What are Walton Simon's stats...the man is practically indestructible.
Sounds weird, as I killed him in a few seconds with the assault shotgun on Hardcore.
Agreed. I killed him with the assault rifle and was kind of disappointed by how easy it was. Made me think I should have killed him a lot earlier in the story. There was no reason for me to take his condescending sass.

Ash

Arcane
If there was one ammo type that needed a reduction it really wasn't 10mm. 10mm being in abundance in any stage of the game makes sense as again it is the most common pistol there is in 2052.

Complain to the vanilla devs. They didn't put a lot of 10mm ammo late game either.

In fact, there was even a recent thread about it: https://www.reddit.com/r/Deusex/comments/6s8qvp/deus_ex_goty_10mm_ammo/?st=j6lc887m&sh=738fbda1

Though there is a minor reduction in total 10mm across the whole game on higher difficulties in GMDX, there is also the inclusion of 10mm Armor Piercing boxes, a number of which appear late game, so it should offset the minor reduction in default 10mm.

And as far as I can remember, yeah, the 10mm pistol is the standard issue sidearm for MJ12, the guard near your jail in the escape carries one.

He is one of, what, four MJ12s that use the default pistol? Of something like 250 MJ12 Troops across the whole game.

---

Arcane
A couple of notes:

- How does the "Adrenaline" perk work? My legs are injured, but I always see a speed penalty in the Health window.
- The stealth indicator (the one you unlock upgrading EUAS aug), being yellow, is not very visible. You should change the font color, Ash. I altered the hud colors, to see if it changes (I normally use the "Ion Storm" set), but it doesn't.

Ash

Arcane
Color in a sense of being able to clearly see the displayed number shouldn't matter as much, since you don't need to pay a great deal of attention to the number displayed -- it darkens in color the more you are hidden, representing stages of darkness. e.g

bright yellow (50% and above) = visible
a few shades darker (30%) = less visible
even more darker/less yellow (15%) = much less visible
not yellow at all (10% or less) = well hidden.

These are approximate representations of "stages" though. The exact number displayed IS relevant and is what is taken into account. 12% brightness is better than 15% brightness, the game will register the difference in AI visibility. It's just as granular as Thief's.

Adrenaline, sounds like a bug. You should have no speed penalty with Adrenaline unless legs are fully gone and you're crawling on your belly.

Last edited:

---

Arcane
"Speed penalty: 17,1%", with Adrenaline unlocked and red legs.
On the other hand, I think it could be just the hud, since while I'm walking I don't "feel" slow.

And thanks for the indicator, I didn't notice the darkening.

Ash

Arcane
Yeah probably just the HUD display. will fix nonetheless.

By the way, this is what we were talking about a couple posts up regarding the light thing, for those that don't know:

DE1K2iSUIAAcIuv.png

top left-hand corner. That yellow 40% readout. Shows how visible you are. Gotta upgrade one of the default augs once to get it, though.

Also, that vanilla inventory glitch is still possible, it seems. Will consider fixing.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
This quoting system doesn't fucking work.
Yeah, any MJ12 guards having the 10mm pistol proves that it is indeed their standard issue sidearm and I suppose you are indeed right that 10mm AP does balance it out. I've been enjoying the mod so far and am doing it on realistic. The range at which enemies can hear you is pretty insane on realistic difficulty but I suppose that is realistic since gunshots are far from silent IRL.

T. Reich

Arcane
This quoting system doesn't fucking work.
Yeah, any MJ12 guards having the 10mm pistol proves that it is indeed their standard issue sidearm and I suppose you are indeed right that 10mm AP does balance it out. I've been enjoying the mod so far and am doing it on realistic. The range at which enemies can hear you is pretty insane on realistic difficulty but I suppose that is realistic since gunshots are far from silent IRL.

Nah. You can still murderface enemies standing next to each other without the other noticing anything.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Color in a sense of being able to clearly see the displayed number shouldn't matter as much, since you don't need to pay a great deal of attention to the number displayed -- it darkens in color the more you are hidden, representing stages of darkness. e.g

bright yellow (50% and above) = visible
a few shades darker (30%) = less visible
even more darker/less yellow (15%) = much less visible
not yellow at all (10% or less) = well hidden.

These are approximate representations of "stages" though. The exact number displayed IS relevant and is what is taken into account. 12% brightness is better than 15% brightness, the game will register the difference in AI visibility. It's just as granular as Thief's.
I'd prefer it if the number was located somewhere else in the HUD, maybe below or next to the health indicator instead of on top of it, or the number was replaced by a "light gem" or something more visible. I used a pretty light HUD colour, and the number was more or less unreadable for a lot of the time, especially if your legs were hurt.

By the way, how much do your skills affect your hiding ability, or is there a more complex formula by which it is calculated? I had Stealth at Advanced, but I was still getting numbers above 20% even when crouching in seemingly pitch black areas.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Alright, I just reached Hell's Kitchen for the second time. Why can't I give anything to Gilbert Renton when he asks for a weapon? I remember I could give him a knife, my stealth pistol or my normal pistol.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Just kill Jojo by yourself :)

Not sure if that was ironic but that's not how it works. If you give Gilbert a weapon and then kill Jojo or let him do it then Sandra will stay in New York and give you different dialogue, if you don't give him a weapon and then kill Jojo then Sandra runs away and appears much later on as a drifter in the middle of no where.

Ash

Arcane
I'd prefer it if the number was located somewhere else in the HUD, maybe below or next to the health indicator instead of on top of it, or the number was replaced by a "light gem" or something more visible. I used a pretty light HUD colour, and the number was more or less unreadable for a lot of the time, especially if your legs were hurt.

I have an idea in mind.

By the way, how much do your skills affect your hiding ability

It doesn't. Stealth is primarily player-skill based as in vanilla.

---

Arcane
Did you remove laser mods from hardcore mode, Ash? I'm already in Hong Kong, and I still didn't see a single one...

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Oh yeah, this reminds me. Where the fuck are all the suppressors? I'm playing on Realistic, if that matters. I'm at Hong Kong and have yet to find a single one.

RoSoDude

Arcane
Oh yeah, this reminds me. Where the fuck are all the suppressors? I'm playing on Realistic, if that matters. I'm at Hong Kong and have yet to find a single one.

The first silencer is in Paul's masturbatorium (right before the UNATCO raid I believe), the second is in the Hong Kong shop for 2500 credits, and the third is behind a locked door in the superfreighter (courtesy of Ash on the GMDX discord).

T. Reich

Arcane
At least one lazor is before the warehouse mission, in Realistic. Maybe from Smuggler, not sure.

Anyway, by the time I got to the rooftops section of the warehouse, I had a slienced, lazored, scoped and overall buffed assault rifle that took down everything in Osgoods with extreme ease, precision, and silence.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected

The first silencer is in Paul's masturbatorium (right before the UNATCO raid I believe), the second is in the Hong Kong shop for 2500 credits, and the third is behind a locked door in the superfreighter (courtesy of Ash on the GMDX discord).
Oh right, shit. I forgot to check that place. I'm still in Hong Kong, what shop are you talking about?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom