Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Kayerts

Arcane
I had some shit come up, and I didn't overcome my spreadsheet OCD long enough to actually play the game until yesterday. My original party was going to be:

Cinncinatus and Columbus, two genetically superior super-berzerkers, warriors of puissant might and matchless insight. Whatever their stats may claim, their INT is 183. They shall not rest while the enemies of their third brother still draw breath.
Balaxander the Great, the templar. A mighty crusader whose last crusade ended with crow. Now he quests for REDEMPTION!
Shamgarian the Forgelord, a metalsmith who once crafted the ancients' engines of war.
Sunblood the Ranger, a famed explorer who charted out a strange kingdom many thought mythical. All his level-ups will be savescummed for max stats.
Sirotius, another metalsmith, last seen on an alchemical project blending man and beast, and man and woman. I've got plans for him.
Casker Whitelace, a songwriter exalting his father's name. Should he acquire the ?FRUIT?, he shall become unstoppable.
Alexis of the House of Zorba, a sage and keeper of lore that would otherwise be lost to mankind. He'll be maxing Ancient History first.

The plan was that once I found Little Rosy, Sirotius would be marooned on a 1x1 island with a bottle of cherry wine, the instructions for class-changing into Pirate, and a single lead ball in his inventory. However, after reading this:

I was throwing a bone to the millennials who want to know how to make it easy. You invite your magical friend to help you on your journey.

Codexians go naked slaying all who cross their path with the jawbone of an ass and the first to die are any NPCs unlucky enough to meet them. They don't recruit them. They eat them.

I thought, this will never do. I cannot take Rosy, hence I cannot take Sirotius. Who can fill those overpowered and unbalanced shoes? Only one man:

Philippos-Petros the Bard, Herald of the Winged Exemplar: A learned storyteller from the southern lands, noted for his unusually high Scribe skill and resistance to Silence effects. Once he was a monk, lighting the flames in the Crusader Temple. Soon he shall call down firestorms of wrath.

They shall be my finest warriors, these men and women who give of themselves to me. As a spreadsheet I shall design them, and among the skulls of their enemies tally them. They will be of iron WIL and steely STR. In golden armour shall I clad them and with the mightiest of ?SWORD?S will they be armed. They will be unbroken by disease or curses, and no ???SQUIRRELS??? shall overcome them. They will have tactics, metallurgy, and savescumming so that no foe can best them in battle. They are my bulwark against the Decline. They are the Heralds of Winged Exemplar, and they shall know no fear.

(Playing on Superhero difficulty with the Eerie Waste start, because I ain't no bitch.)

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
He had a fun experience, but could not enjoy most of it. Makes sense?
Says the person who thinks the game is excellent but will wait for V2:

7kbR6di.jpg

Maybe Cleve should be honest and tell everyone upfront there's a V2 coming, so people can make the same decision as you made without buying & playing half the game.

Reapa

Doom Preacher

7kbR6di.jpg

Maybe Cleve should be honest and tell everyone upfront there's a V2 coming, so people can make the same decision as you made without buying & playing half the game.
that certainly explains how she finds the time to shitpost and shitrate. she's not even playing the game she is so fiercely defending.

Tigranes

Arcane
What's with the edgy, anyway? Felipepepe you're obviously misrepresenting that post in the same way others have misrepresented you. It's like you people are on a script for a clash of penises. I guess the God of Codex thirsts again for drama

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
What's edgy about that? Even the biggest Grimoire defender on the forum stopped halfway to wait for the updates. I actually played the game to the end and know balance only gets worse.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

7kbR6di.jpg

Since you're talking about honesty, what about that lie you based your Steam review on?

And I'm pretty sure Cleve has been upfront the whole time that a V2 is coming. You're lying again.

Tigranes

Arcane
Dude clearly thinks the game is excellent and isn't exactly forced to wait for V2 because it's so broken, is more in the "i'll enjoy the complete experience" camp.

I mean, whatever, I don't have a horse in this race, I'm only half(?)way and I'm greatly enjoying the game & recognise it is screwed up in a lot of ways.

Viata

Arcane
I don't care about this latest bitchslap fight but for those interested in the game: I believe I'm roughly halfway through or a bit more and I haven't ever needed to break the game to beat it. It certainly is unbalanced in all the classic ways - some spells are super OP, bards are OP, some enemies are OP, etc. - but you're rarely (never?) forced to turn to them lest your life become hell.
How many tables you got, btw?

Only a couple. Maybe I'm way off on how far I think I am? I glanced at FP's map and I thought it was halfish.
Well, you need 8 tablets. That may help you know how far you are. If you fought Shelach without problems, that's a good thing(means that until that point, there is no need to exploits. But that includes not using Critical Blow, which is also an exploit given how broken it is). She is somewhat broken(even Cleve said he had trouble with her without exploits), I say somewhat because given the current status of the game, I can't say if fighting her is supposed to be that way or not.
After that it's ok(not easy neither hard, it depends on what you did first and how well-armed is your party and their level, but you do get some hard battles out there, but that is like in Wizardry. Dark Fairies are kinda broken though, for me it also crashed the game fighting them) until you get into the last dungeon. That is where I think the game gets broken(it's all about who exploits the game with broken spells first: you or the opponent), so I'd say that if you are able to survive there without needing to break the game(which include not expecting critical blow to save you face every other fight), then yeah, the combat is not as broken as it seems. Given that Cleve is fixing the game, the version you'll play at that point is going to be quite different from the one I played. Thus, I'll wait for you to get there and say how the combat is going, I hope it's not as broken as it was for me.

Edit: I mean not using Critical Blow against Shelach. You can avoid Critical Blow by not using Lethal Weapon, but that is up to you. I just want to see how possible it is to defeat her without using exploits.

Last edited:

Reapa

Doom Preacher

7kbR6di.jpg

Since you're talking about honesty, what about that lie you based your Steam review on?

And I'm pretty sure Cleve has been upfront the whole time that a V2 is coming. You're lying again.
you're either a troll or an extremely stupid cunt if you think you can save face by pointing fingers after this.

Reapa

Doom Preacher

Tigranes

Arcane
I don't care about this latest bitchslap fight but for those interested in the game: I believe I'm roughly halfway through or a bit more and I haven't ever needed to break the game to beat it. It certainly is unbalanced in all the classic ways - some spells are super OP, bards are OP, some enemies are OP, etc. - but you're rarely (never?) forced to turn to them lest your life become hell.
How many tables you got, btw?

Only a couple. Maybe I'm way off on how far I think I am? I glanced at FP's map and I thought it was halfish.
Well, you need 8 tablets. That may help you know how far you are. If you fought Shelach without problems, that's a good thing(means that until that point, there is no need to exploits. But that includes not using Critical Blow, which is also an exploit given how broken it is). She is somewhat broken(even Cleve said he had trouble with her without exploits), I say somewhat because given the current status of the game, I can't say if fighting her is supposed to be that way or not.
After that it's ok(not easy neither hard, it depends on what you did first and how well-armed is your party and their level, but you do get some hard battles out there, but that is like in Wizardry. Dark Fairies are kinda broken though, for me it also crashed the game fighting them) until you get into the last dungeon. That is where I think the game gets broken(it's all about who exploits the game with broken spells first: you or the opponent), so I'd say that if you are able to survive there without needing to break the game(which include not expecting critical blow to save you face every other fight), then yeah, the combat is not as broken as it seems. Given that Cleve is fixing the game, the version you'll play at that point is going to be quite different from the one I played. Thus, I'll wait for you to get there and say how the combat is going, I hope it's not as broken as it was for me.

Edit: I mean not using Critical Blow against Shelach. You can avoid Critical Blow by not using Lethal Weapon, but that is up to you. I just want to see how possible it is to defeat her without using exploits.

Shelach's the single enemy that I resorted to Deep Freeze for. My party's suboptimal in many ways like everybody's first party, so I can see how I could possibly have beaten her with a stronger, more powerful one, but it wasn't happening with my shitty party. Now, that happens a fair bit in any RPG with good challenge where you go in blind, but Shelach does seem to really need detuning. But yeah, my experience has been, stuff can get tough and there's plenty of unbalanced stuff both ways but it's rarely been "dear god this is broken I can't get past without CB/DF".

Of course 'puter games are really unimportant but if they were I would not publish a felipepepe review on this game for not being neutral anymore

Goddamn "journalism": I 'member my brother and me at like age 5-7 being dragged from the TV set watching our favourite TV show in like '79 because or dad needed to report some stupid story and he was like a real journalist working for a dead tree gazette

We missed the Battlestar Galactica ending :(

Now its the same shit all over again in reverse...fucking SJW "journalists" messing with Da Incline

(Go figure where I live journalism has never been an academic study nor it is in Albania, Finland or Mali I guess)

mondblut

Arcane
Ladies, can you all put aside all this gossip about "it was only fun that little and I only enjoyed it this much, better wait another 20 years for V2" for a moment? We all need a definitive answer to one question:

Is IAC wrapping into negative a display error, or it actually results in factual 0 TAC?

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
WHY DOES J_C HAVE DEVELOPER TAG FOR MAKING A 0.99 RPG MAKER ADVENTURE GAME WHERE IS MY OWN DEVELOPER TAG YOU HACKS MODERATORS

I'm calling the internet police.

RPG Maker games are the shit pellets of the goat anus of the internet.

This should be printed on a gigantic block of stone on the front of RPGCodex.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Firewalking is not saved in save game, so when you load it - you get firewalking icon on the screen, but not the protection.
Also pathwalking from lava cell results in this:
grimoire03f8s51.png

At least be a little more humble with a game which is a broken mess ATM.
Putting Cleve's antics aside, his game is perfectly playable as it. Yep, it has bugs, but they can't broke my enjoyment.
Kids these days...

Bug, noted will fix. Path walking should be ignored exiting that map interface on lava. Something must have turned it on.

I counted today with analysis tool, original lines of code in Grimoire written by me (not counting Shams) is 56,000 lines.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom