Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Uhm, Arachne challenged Athena and insulted Zeus with her weave, at least in Ovid's version. Being turned into a spider was punishment for her hubris, not a random petty impulse Athena had. The other version is Athena feeling sorry for Arachne's loss of ability to weave and turned her into a spider so she can weave without loom or spindle.

And Fyrga has lost faith in Magran because of the hollowborn crisis, which really tees her off. The reactivity in this quest is so subtle I didn't even notice it.

REACTIVITY:
If Fyrga’s crisis of faith is resolved (through caring conversation choices), you begin to see a series of lit torches around Defiance Bay—ceremonial fires are lit. However, if Fyrga’s crisis of faith is unresolved (through uncaring conversation choices), no torches are lit.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
You are saying that Magran is pissed off that Fyrga lost faith in her (more like questioning it) and Magran wants to send her to die? Seems like grasping at straws, but I guess I can see that.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The off bit can be explained away by saying that Magran only demanded Fyrga's faith and once she reacquires it Magran is no longer pissed, so no need to kill her anymore. Kind of cheap, but there you go.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
lol she literary tells you this the moment you talk to her. The whole point the quest was that she couldn't keep them lit.

Yeah, I remember her saying it but I didn't notice it in the city itself. :M

The off bit can be explained away by saying that Magran only demanded Fyrga's faith and once she reacquires it Magran is no longer pissed, so no need to kill her anymore. Kind of cheap, but there you go.

Dead, faith restored, or leaving forever are all perfectly suitable outcomes for Magran. What's frustrating is having an alleged follower who doubts.

Last edited:
Having a very hard time finding anything of interest in the game's story and setting(just got the keep), is there a point where it suddenly picks up?

I enjoyed obsidian's previous "you are the cursed one" stories(kotor2/motb) and had never found their dialogs dull before.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
I haven't gotten to part 2 yet, but I think it would've been known if the story is something special, while I've only heard good things about encounter design and maybe exploration.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That depends on what you consider something special I guess, I'm not saying you should expect the next MotB, but it's definitely a level higher than the rest of the game imo.

cannondwarf

Scholar
Turns out IEMod allows you to enchant and durganize soulbound gear as long as you do it prior to the enchantment quota being filled up. I think I'm fine with it on the weaker weapons like Steadfast and Nightshroud, seeing as they're still worse than most other unique weapons available. Stormcaller with a shocking lash and durgan steel would be incredibly broken though.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Stormcaller Is broken in general, especially on a cipher, I don't think any other weapon generates as much focus as it.

No, it's all bad all the time with very few exceptions. White March has less text, though.
White March part 2 is pretty good. Definitely the highpoint of PoE.
Thanks but seeing as how I can't jump straight into the white march will give up for now. Maybe if I end up liking PoE2 and feel it deserves an alternate path replay I'll give this another go just to get the most out of PoE2.

Text isn't the problem, playing Numenera at the same time and liking that one a lot more, couldn't stomach BG 20 years ago either. Just hoping this is a case of obsidian catering to very specific tastes with this game rather than having lost the ability to do otherwise.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Having a very hard time finding anything of interest in the game's story and setting(just got the keep), is there a point where it suddenly picks up?

I enjoyed obsidian's previous "you are the cursed one" stories(kotor2/motb) and had never found their dialogs dull before.
It was admitted by Eric Fenstermaker in an interview that all the dialogue in the game is first-pass, not having been through editing. Lack of time was cited as explanation, I think.

As for where the story picks up - I'd say in the White March expansion, if you try to forget the main storyline exists. The atmosphere is lo superor, imo.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Just finished act 2 and almost on my way to WM2. The trial, though, the wasted potential physically hurt. It seems as if the outcome would've been the same, regardless of whether we were there or not. Nothing comes of our investigation into the Leaden Key, which makes most of Act 2 kinda pointless in hindsight.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It seems as if the outcome would've been the same, regardless of whether we were there or not.

Without the player's efforts, animancy would definitely be banned. Of course you can steer it in that direction anyway.

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Just finished act 2 and almost on my way to WM2. The trial, though, the wasted potential physically hurt. It seems as if the outcome would've been the same, regardless of whether we were there or not. Nothing comes of our investigation into the Leaden Key, which makes most of Act 2 kinda pointless in hindsight.

Futility, expectations and looking for meaning is sort of an underlying theme in PoE you know ;). That is what the story and all the NPCs are all about.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Without the player's efforts, animancy would definitely be banned. Of course you can steer it in that direction anyway.

Yeah, that. That's in the ending slides, which don't really count, unless you have very low standards for consequences. Also, you aren't really there for animancy, you are there to expose the Leaden Key, the only reason you got pulled into this conversation was because you are a representative of a faction who is interested in the animancy outcome. Why would they listen to you in this debate, to the point of you deciding the future of animancy in the region, is a mystery to me.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yeah, that. That's in the ending slides, which don't really count, unless you have very low standards for consequences. Also, you aren't really there for animancy, you are there to expose the Leaden Key, the only reason you got pulled into this conversation was because you are a representative of a faction who is interested in the animancy outcome. Why would they listen to you in this debate, to the point of you deciding the future of animancy in the region, is a mystery to me.

Well you do expose the Leaden Key. And the Duc listens to you if your arguments/evidence are convincing. :M

Lacrymas

Arcane
Well you do expose the Leaden Key. And the Duc listens to you if your arguments/evidence are convincing. :M

You expose them only to the people in that room, which does nothing, that's the point - nothing comes of that. Also, what evidence do you bring for or against animancy? You aren't there for that at all, so you are woefully underprepared for such a debate. The only argument you can bring up is "but other countries have animancers and they don't have soulless children!", which I think would've been obvious without you mentioning it. The Dozens' argument is not that it brought the Hollowborn, but whenever animancy is concerned there is something iffy going on. Even the animancers' representative says that they don't have results, only vague promises of future potential.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You expose them only to the people in that room, which does nothing, that's the point - nothing comes of that.

After the riots are over and the crisis is lifted, everyone agrees the Leaden Key was at fault and that the riot was beneficial in killing them.

Also, what evidence do you bring for or against animancy? You aren't there for that at all, so you are woefully underprepared for such a debate. The only argument you can bring up is "but other countries have animancers and they don't have soulless children!", which I think would've been obvious without you mentioning it. The Dozens' argument is not that it brought the Hollowborn, but whenever animancy is concerned there is something iffy going on. Even the animancers' representative says that they don't have results, only vague promises of future potential.

All the arguments available and their effectiveness are listed here https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Animancy_hearings

Lacrymas

Arcane
Neither the Heritage Hill nor Caedman Azo arguments are for or against animancy, they are for their own specific cases. Not to mention that Heritage Hill IS animancy, just not the two specific animancers that were there, you just conveniently don't mention that and choose to either condemn the animancers or not. Everything else that has to do with the Leaden Key is either appeal to emotions, appeal to authority (in this case reputation), begging the question, appeals to ignorance, bad allegories or a slew of other fallacies, i.e. there is no evidence that you are presenting or very convincing arguments. That doesn't really matter, though, since you aren't there for animancy. I guess if everyone agrees that the Leaden Key is at fault after the riots, then at least something came of it.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
There isn't that much to work with with about the Leaden Key.

That's the thing, though. You are going to court to expose them, but have no substantial evidence (or any at all). "I saw it with my Watcherness!" isn't evidence. Then you get dragged into a conversation you have no business being in (animancy), presenting some fallacious arguments that have no bearing on animancy itself and your decision ultimately sways the vote. Contrast that with NWN2's court where you present evidence (like the Luskan poison found in the bodies of the dead, the alteration powder etc.), an eye witness (Alaine), a bunch of people to testify to your character (Callum, Shandra etc.) and your own (or Sand's) oratory skills. The problem, from where I'm standing, is that you barge into a trial that has nothing to do with your concerns or your activities and try to bullshit your way through. I have a bunch of other problems, but whatever.

Last edited:

Quillon

Arcane
Watcher's a character witness, for himself/herself :P They tried to make use of disposition system which came short tho hearing was doomed anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom