Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Grimlorn

Arcane
Viata What level was your party when you beat the game?

mondblut

Arcane
And on the topic of balance. I think the Bard wouldn't be an issue if Instruments wouldn't always cast at max level. Maybe have them cast at Music Skill/10-3?

That was always the case in a way. Entry-level bard used halcyonic lyre for some 200-300 damage, 100-music bard produced 800-1600.

The problems with music instruments are: 1) they are in every pile of random loot, as common as fucking potions, 2) they can be used from inventory bar as invocable items, by anyone regardless of class and skill, 3) stunlock effects are a bit too effective - even critters who seem immune to magic damage are easily paralyzed or frozen.

Solution, ofc, is to remove them from random loot tables and make them unique handplaced treasures. As for 2, the entire system of using shit from inventory bar is ought to be rethinked, it's not like everybody using the same wand is much better (although it depends on invocation skill, at least). Me, I'd add a "pocket" inventory slot (maybe make quiver slot usable as such) where a character can put an invocable item to use it in combat. To change an item, he'd have to use an equip action and replace it as with changing weapons. This would be more humane than forcing everything usable to be equipped as a weapon. Applies to music boxes (non-equipable but also bard-only) as well. Potions and scrolls can remain usable from inventory bar.

Seems like Cleve broke the random encounters again.
Yeah, it's a bit weird that it's so fiddly. I assumed that it was as simple as setting a threshold for a random number.

He admitted using memory blobs for passing parameters... Who knows what kind of shit code he wrote for random encounters. Another thing - as i recall JIT compiler for AngelScript kinda buggy - so if he using JIT game will be broken.

Oh dear, I thought we'd moved on from Fortran-77 style common blocks by now...

mondblut

Arcane
And combat goes something like this:
PC 1 attacks
PC 2 attacks
Monster A attacks
Bard ( PC 3 ) sleeps monster A and monster B
PC 4 attacks - monster A wakes up
PC 5 attacks - monster B wakes up
Monster B attacks

I later switch to a paralyzing lyre and had the same results ( instead of sleep breaking the paralyze breaks... )
What am I missing here? how is this OP?

You keep bard's speed a bit behind the rest of the party, dummy.

For even more reliability, have a bard who is fastest in the party (and constantly bumping his speed to stay ahead of monsters), have the rest of the party as closely packed speedwise as possible, and have a sage who is a little bit slower than the bulk of the party:

A)
Bard asleeps
Enemies sleep
Party kicks enemies
Sage asleeps survivors

or
B)
Bard asleeps
Party kicks enemies
Sage asleeps survivors
Surviving enemies sleep

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Meathead A hits monster, monster unconscious
Meathead B hits monster, monster unconscious
Bard sleeps any 3x monsters of his choice
Assassin A crits one monster dead
Mage A nukes 1 monster
Mage B nukes 1 monster
Mage C acid clouds the remaining stack of monsters, killing them all
Priest hides in the corner and cries

later in the game...

Meathead A hits one monster, doesn't penetrate
Monster A kills bard
Monster A kills Meathead A
Monster B kills Meathead B

Yup, fast monsters with enough attacks/crits are the worst. They literally can wipe your entire party. Thankfully they are relatively rare.

Viata

Arcane
Viata What level was your party when you beat the game?
9 to 10. Only possible thanks to exploits. Shelach raped me(some battles against her I was killed in before any of my chars could attack) enough to decide to grind, but thanks to Critical, I killed her. Later on, when you get to
aliens
, you start hating the fact they hit first, it's they turn to exploit the game. That was the time I was happy the Bard was on my team. Then
robots
starts showing up and god, was I happy every time my Bard was able to attack. :lol:
Those fuckers raped me left and right, you are not supposed to get to that part at this level without exploits.
You don't know what is rage until you start figthing rows of aliens that keep calling more rows of aliens and you think it's never going to end. Wore yet, they paralysis your whole party. It's like pressing battle every 1 seconds because they just keep trying to call more aliens and can't(already filled the rows) while you can't move. :argh:

Viata

Arcane
Yeah, it's a bit weird that it's so fiddly. I assumed that it was as simple as setting a threshold for a random number.

He admitted using memory blobs for passing parameters... Who knows what kind of shit code he wrote for random encounters. Another thing - as i recall JIT compiler for AngelScript kinda buggy - so if he using JIT game will be broken.

What is bad about memory blobs for passing parameters?

Viata

Arcane
Great. Cleve messed again with the enemy encounter frequency. No I can't walk a single step without encountering some terrormites or tarantulas.
You don't know what is suffering until you are fighting ghosts, only one magical weapon AND the random encounter is always onslaught(thanks to cleve) AND you have less than 10 vit for everyone. Try to rest, mate. :negative:

Weasel
Always said Swen was a brave man :salute:

EtmiBYT.png

What is bad about memory blobs for passing parameters?

I understood it to mean use of something akin to globals to pass information around, which in that case means a lack of locality, lack of a well-specified interface to the function, completely defeats code reuse.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
The patch notes for 1.2.0.22 include "Wandering encounter adjustments", was this a fix to the issue of the always-onsalught encounter rates or was this a result of the adjustment? The reason I ask is because I noticed a very high encounter rate in 21 (haven't updated yet).

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Cleve my man, in case you haven't seen Baxander's video review:

Worth an un-ignore since he's now converted?

The guy spent months making up a story about backing the game and not getting a refund and trying to drive Cleve crazy. He's irredeemable.

hate to say it but his lets play actually was a major influence on me to spend hours of my time defending the game. it's a pretty good lets play all things considered too, actually pretty fun to watch. his anti-Cleve videos have <2000 views so I'd say that ultimately his influence has been positive, especially with him explicitly demonstrating to people that it's acceptable to admit you're wrong and change your opinion. the vast majority of people aren't even really cut out for such behavior. he might be dumb in some ways, however personally I would say he has been positive when you do a cost benefit analysis

Nah that's classic insane stalker behaviour. From week to the week the man is about as stable as Charles Manson. Now he's doing playthroughs after weeks of psychotic rages.

Even if it was temporary insanity he would have pulled the earlier videos down. It's not temporary. The dude is a 100% certified dangerous lazy-eye lunatic.

Police will tell you that when they claim they just want to be friends now is when you avoid them at all costs. That's when the acid attacks and the pet killing begins.

Or he could have left them there intentionally, to demonstrate that first impressions aren't always right, and that some people actually can change their position with grace.

Or Ockham's Razor and like you he is simply a loon. I notice birds of a feather flock together.

If you call for some stranger on the internet to be killed for A MONTH because of some upset caused you BY A F*CKING VIDEO GAME, SLANDER AND LIBEL him as a human being and attack him in a dozen videos you post on YouTube ... then switch a week later because you changed your mind ... it doesn't mean YOU ARE CURED. It means you are an even crazier F*CKER than originally believed.

Last edited:

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
The patch notes for 1.2.0.22 include "Wandering encounter adjustments", was this a fix to the issue of the always-onsalught encounter rates or was this a result of the adjustment? The reason I ask is because I noticed a very high encounter rate in 21 (haven't updated yet).

People complained too few. Even with an adjustable setting nobody is happy.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Didn't know Cleve Blakemore was that important! :obviously:

If you find any 60 page threads by me on the internet on a secret forum or email list where I am plotting to destroy the careers of journalists and working with other journalists to get then fired from their jobs and harass them with phone calls, please tell me because I will definitely have myself committed. That's INSANE. Forty and fifty page threads where we discuss somebody else and how we are going to ruin them THAT'S CRAZY STUFF.

I cannot believe the people at PC GAMER were still employed by that magazine after it all came out. It is disgusting the owners of that rag do not realise such things are a firing offense. Once the email list was exposed every single one of those top editors should have been sacked. Mainstream media is evil and the people who own it are evil.

Nobody mentally healthy goes on and on like this about some person on the internet who said they think abortion is wrong or that Stephen Hawking was replaced by a double. It's mad dog foaming at the mouth crazy. The GameJournoPros mailing list is cause for all those people to lose their jobs, every single one of them.

P.S. Been laughing behind their backs at all of them for 7 years reading their ugly exchanges and twee little rage fits behind the backs of people WHO JUST DON'T CARE MUCH ABOUT THEM IN RETURN AT ALL. These rocket scientists apparently never figured out what the "FORWARD" button does on the top of their emails. OUR SOOPER SEKRET EMAIL LIST WILL NEVER BE COMPROMISED BY TEH KLEEVE BROS. NOT EVVEN THE NEANDERTHAL CAN KRACK OUR SOOPER TEKNOLOGEE. Laughed and laughed. It would take two dozen of these guys to make a man. You get a powerful urge to slap their mom for this travesty.

P.P.S. Always wanted to keep the backdoor monitoring quiet so they would not shut that traphole. I literally know more about these people than they know about themselves after reading their exchanges for 7 years. All these pencil necked sallow sunken chested nation wrecking shemales need a good close quarters bayonet charge to straighten their minds out. Seriously.

Last edited:

It's because the range between rare and onslaught is too small. That's why we keep see-sawing between too few and too many. You need to stretch the range so that rare = V1.2.0.21 rare, and onslaught = v1.2.0.22 onslaught.

You might want to consider cutting off the distribution as well, not rolling for random encounters until x turns have passed since the last one.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath

This morning, at "rare" it was a monster every 3-4 steps. I restarted and reloaded and now works normally. Maybe a configuration refresh issue?

(or so it seems, RNG is always hard to predict, but it was annoyingly frequent)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom