Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire gameplay and hints thread

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
How do you resurrect a dead vamphyre? Looks like conventional methods (e.g., Cadeceus of Life) don't apply.

Raise Dead spell/scroll

jfunk

Augur
So I really told myself THIS party was going to be the one and I wasn't going to restart again.

Drake Warrior
Saurian Berseker
Barrower Metalsmith
Wolfin Ranger
Drow Wizard
Wolfin Cleric
Drow Bard
Aeorb Sage

And I really like the party, except the Drow Wizard really seems like a drag. I know she'll get more powerful spells, but the slow mana regen is quite annoying. I find myself doing nothing with her but poking things with her staff 90% of the time. Is a Drow Wizard hopeless? I don't want to use the NPCs because it sounds like they're all OP. But I don't want to be dragging around a boring boat anchor the whole game either. It also appears that no race at all gets a bonus for Wizard. Is it a shite class in general? Should I reroll with a different race/class? Or will my Drow Wizard eventually become a functionally useful member of the party?

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Is a Drow Wizard hopeless?

I use a Drow Wizard. The only flaw is the mana regeneration. Sleep a lot. I would reroll if I didn't already have over 20 hours in this playthrough, and I'm not going to replace him with an NPC because he's named after yours truly.He's easy enough to work with, just some developmental disorders like his namesake.

Also, he just got Crushing Fist which can do a ton of damage right now. He's good at doing a ton of damage up front then just swinging his staff and occasionally using his missile wand when he gets an extra attack.

Canus

Savant
Is a Drow Wizard hopeless?

I use a Drow Wizard. The only flaw is the mana regeneration. Sleep a lot. I would reroll if I didn't already have over 20 hours in this playthrough, and I'm not going to replace him with an NPC because he's named after yours truly.He's easy enough to work with, just some developmental disorders like his namesake.

Also, he just got Crushing Fist which can do a ton of damage right now. He's good at doing a ton of damage up front then just swinging his staff and occasionally using his missile wand when he gets an extra attack.

I suggust getting some Faerie Water, it fully recharges mana and you can steal a stack of 6 from Argosyne easily.

On the crushing fist front wait till you get deep freeze, it can oneshot bosses at a low level of use, it's incredibly powerful.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
I suggust getting some Faerie Water, it fully recharges mana and you can steal a stack of 6 from Argosyne easily.

On the crushing fist front wait till you get deep freeze, it can oneshot bosses at a low level of use, it's incredibly powerful.
Yeah I'm waiting on that, what level does it unlock?

PEACH

Arbiter
Got some questions about general progression around gardens of midknight

So far I've done the lich, got the egg from the eerie, and explored seemingly the entirety of those two dungeons as well as the small one with the ghosts. Have the commendation letter from krone, mistral's letter, hobknob's bane and a few other critical items but can't seem to figure out where to head next.

Looking more for a friendly nudge than a full on spoiler, been baffled for a while now

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
If you've done Hobknob, there is a staircase to the gorge. Have you gone there? That's where the story progresses.

Canus

Savant

Yeah I'm waiting on that, what level does it unlock?

I think it's level 6, might be 5 though.

PEACH

Arbiter
Yeah, just loaded up there and found it. No idea how I didn't see it initially cos I always have detect secret going but I guess I let it drop at the worst possible time

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
In aquavia there is a secret area with a lever and a gate, the lever is down and the mouse icon change to a hand but when you click it nothing happens - no message , no click sound, no animation and nothing opens.
Is this a bug or just poor interface and the lever is not supposed to move yet?

Viata

Arcane
In aquavia there is a secret area with a lever and a gate, the lever is down and the mouse icon change to a hand but when you click it nothing happens - no message , no click sound, no animation and nothing opens.
Is this a bug or just poor interface and the lever is not supposed to move yet?
You should first do a dial puzzle in another level so this lever works. Unless you did that already, then it's a bug.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I found a fishing hook in
the Sargasso of the Kraken and have also found a few pieces of fishing line at various locations. I can combine the pieces of fishing line to form a single, longer fishing line, but I can't seem to attach the fishing hook to it. Earlier, I had found a rope in Quiddick Harbor together with a tackle, which I was able to combine into a single item (and I used it on the well there to create a largely pointless shortcut to the Hall of Commerce). Am I missing something?

Viata

Arcane
the Sargasso of the Kraken and have also found a few pieces of fishing line at various locations. I can combine the pieces of fishing line to form a single, longer fishing line, but I can't seem to attach the fishing hook to it. Earlier, I had found a rope in Quiddick Harbor together with a tackle, which I was able to combine into a single item (and I used it on the well there to create a largely pointless shortcut to the Hall of Commerce). Am I missing something?
It's four pieces. It need to be 100ft to attach the fishing hook.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
It's four pieces. It need to be 100ft to attach the fishing hook.

I'm pretty sure two pieces are in Waterdeep (one of them in the port map), one is in a cave in Loch Lalain and one is especially tricky in a dark cave in Sargasso.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I'm pretty sure two pieces are in Waterdeep (one of them in the port map), one is in a cave in Loch Lalain and one is especially tricky in a dark cave in Sargasso.
Looking at an earlier save before I merged them,
one part of the Fishing Line I found in the Hall of Commerce, one in Loch Titan, and one in Sargasso along with the Fishing Hook. Can't find the fourth part, though.

I had also found in Quiddick Harbor
a rope and tackle, which I combined and used for that pointless shortcut to the Hall of Commerce.

I'm down in the Ukluk Mining Co. I've found the
Harness
and
crushed the Ore to make stepping stones in the crushing machine (the darkness area).
The only gate I can't open is the one with the mithril bar and the Loogmar seal. I have the seal combined with the chain I got from Smithers, but using it on the gate doesn't seem to produce an effect. How do I open this gate? General hint please.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
To be clear, do you mean the gate
in Samhain Great Hall blocking entry?
That should
open when you combine the Crest from Aquavia with the Medallion from Smithers and then use the resulting item on the gate.

Viata

Arcane
Looking at an earlier save before I merged them,
one part of the Fishing Line I found in the Hall of Commerce, one in Loch Titan, and one in Sargasso along with the Fishing Hook. Can't find the fourth part, though.

I had also found in Quiddick Harbor
a rope and tackle, which I combined and used for that pointless shortcut to the Hall of Commerce.
I was sure the last line was in Quiddick Harbor. Still, it's around those places(from Waterport to Zephyr Isles). Do you have Locate Item? That may help you find it.

That should
open when you combine the Crest from Aquavia with the Medallion from Smithers and then use the resulting item on the gate.
It's a gate with a sign next to it that's not interactable. I did combine the Crest with the Medallion and have the resulting item. Using it on the gate produces no effect.

Here's a screenshot:
loogate9esg2.jpg

You can see in my inventory I have the combined crest/chain item (Royal Seal of Loogmar or something to that effect). The sign to the right of the door isn't interactable either.

grimwamapejsgx.jpg

This is the spot. Hopefully not a bug and I'm just missing something.

Last edited:

Joonix

Novice
If I have Raghilda in my party
do I have to dismiss her in order to talk to her again about her sister/resolve that quest when the time comes?

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
That should
It's a gate with a sign next to it that's not interactable. I did combine the Crest with the Medallion and have the resulting item. Using it on the gate produces no effect.

Here's a screenshot:
loogate9esg2.jpg

You can see in my inventory I have the combined crest/chain item (Royal Seal of Loogmar or something to that effect). The sign to the right of the door isn't interactable either.

grimwamapejsgx.jpg

I remember using the seal by itself to open the gate. I combined the two items (amulet + seal) afterwards.... I would hope doing it before opening the gate doesn't lock you out, but you don't really need to go through there to progress (iirc), you just need the stepping stones.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
That should

Here's a screenshot:
loogate9esg2.jpg

grimwamapejsgx.jpg

Since you already got the necklace from Smithers, you don't need that gate. Go use the stepping stones and continue.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
How do you get the necklace from Smithers BEFORE delivering the letter from that locked room? Steal it?

Last edited:
Yeah I charmed him and stole it. Kinda regret it now, though.

It's odd that I had to use the stones ON the "use" icon and couldn't just use them normally... that's why I was stuck wondering I needed to go in that room. I couldn't get anything to happen in the chasm.

Thanks for the help!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom