Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Achilles

Arcane
Thanks to those who suggested the unusualcook Twitch stream. The guy playing Grimoire is great, he started the game completely blind and is slowly figuring things out. He also stated many times that he is very much enjoying the game, a far cry from most other 'edgy' streamers.

hackncrazy

Savant
Thanks to those who suggested the unusualcook Twitch stream. The guy playing Grimoire is great, he started the game completely blind and is slowly figuring things out. He also stated many times that he is very much enjoying the game, a far cry from most other 'edgy' streamers.

The problem seems to be that all the guys who are streaming are influenced by the meme wave and are just trying to make fun of everything possible.

Unusualcook indeed feels like a person who didn't knew about the game and is enjoying/hating for what it is.

Celerity

Takes 1337 hours to realise it's shit.
Village Idiot Possibly Retarded
>Be me.
>Open legendary thread.
>40 pages of posts in a day.
>Click next page.
>Ad of baby crying appears.
>Close ad.
>Close tab.
>Close browser.
>Kill it with fire.

Couldn't be more perfectly targeted or timed.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Now Grimoire was apparently formed from the ashes of the scrapped Wizardry 7

QtGHVbE.png

Permabanned in a flash. Might as well be claiming I am a known wife beater or the next Hitler, both often suggested. The internet has no penalty for making the most severe accusations at random.

Weasel
The funny thing about people with an axe to grind attacking Grimoire is that they're giving Cleve publicity most indies would love to have. And some of those readers could check out the store page (where reviews are actually 'mostly positive' again) and try the game.

Fv2aO2D.png

biggestboss

Liturgist
Sorry for all the noob questions, but does anyone know how to get to where I put the orange dot is on this map? I've tried Detect Secret, Search, etc. I'm sure it's something stupid and easy that I'm missing.

OMQ8HnW.png

makchanka

Arbiter
Is there any truth about Cleve being a "white suprematicst" all I saw was generic anti-sapiens rants and something against nationalities (like autralians, etc).

He's not a serious racist, no. He's not a white supremacist. He's just a generic every-day sort of old conservative racist. It's nothing alarming. If we didn't buy products made from basic, boring Fox News/CNN/MSNBC type racists then we wouldn't have food or housing.

It's like herpes. Almost everyone has it, it's unsightly, there's not much you can do about it, and the people who make it into a huge deal are just kind of annoying.

I pity these blue haired multiple piercing effem hipsters when they round a corner and meet a real racist.

"Ohmigawd! Cleve, HELP ME! Cleve, I need you!"

For real. Liberals have no idea what serious racists look like. They call Republicans nazis, but if they met a real nazi they'd shit their pants.

We used to torch nazis with flamethrowers in World War 2 for a reason. They're a disease, like some kind of fungal rot that can only be burned away. Liberals don't even want to do that anymore, but they'll screech and screech all day about how some stupid conservative is a nazi and should be put in prison for saying the no-no words. There was a time in this country when liberals had spines. Now they're just jellyfish who are afraid of their own shadows.

Most of us are a little racist. That's just how it is. It's not a big deal. For instance, whites and Guatemalans make me uncomfortable, because whites are weird smelly lizard people from Mars or something and fucking everyone hates Guatemalans. I'm not even sure why I hate Guatemalans, it's just, like, fuck. Fucking Guatemalans. Guatemala is Mexico's Mexico. That's how low those guys are.

Like, the difference between us and real racists is that we don't want to murder people for looking funny. I can't help it that whites look funny. They just do. I mean, fucking look at them.

Also congratulations on the release. The game looks gorgeous.

Last edited:

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Alright, after almost 5 hours in:

THIS WAS NOT A DRILL. INCLINE HAS DESCENDED FROM HEAVENS.

This thing is fucking majestic. Broken in all the right ways.

If only I could penetrate. The story of my life.

Strength and agility penetrate more and more as they increase, worked a long time on getting this balanced right.

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
I got home from work today, logged on and had 4 comments on my (positive) review and 9 PMs from different random people. 3 of them called me a fat retard while the other 6 accused me of being Cleve. WTF is this shit.

just woke up and had 3 additional PMs and 1 reply to my review. Anyone else having this problem? Or has Steam always been like this.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Oh god, I managed to defeat the green hand gang. What a nightmarish chain of NO PENETRATION and NO EFFECT.

It's because your strength is puny. You are hitting them sort of flaccid and decrepit, they are barely noticing an attack with STR of 22. As you get stronger you will penetrate every time. That's what she said.

Zenyrrah

Augur
Patron
Alright, after almost 5 hours in:

THIS WAS NOT A DRILL. INCLINE HAS DESCENDED FROM HEAVENS.

This thing is fucking majestic. Broken in all the right ways.

If only I could penetrate. The story of my life.

Strength and agility penetrate more and more as they increase, worked a long time on getting this balanced right.

I know we are asking this all the time but can you give an ETA on the Steam keys?

Baff

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Sorry for all the noob questions, but does anyone know how to get to where I put the orange dot is on this map? I've tried Detect Secret, Search, etc. I'm sure it's something stupid and easy that I'm missing.

OMQ8HnW.png

Nothing there. The only places left on your map are the 2 water spots.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
In the gameplay thread I've posted the info from the files people compiled:

Race & Class rolling requirements:

http://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.ph...y-and-hints-thread.117575/page-6#post-5239413

Classes: XP for Level 2 for each class and differences in skill point gains:

http://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.ph...y-and-hints-thread.117575/page-6#post-5239402

Skills: Description and rarity of each skill among the 15 classes:

http://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.ph...y-and-hints-thread.117575/page-6#post-5239406

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Can't stop playing this. I started playing and then all of a sudden 4 hours passed! This is like a dream come true. :hug: Thank you. Cleve! Going on an adventure, discovering things, sharing those discoveries with others while they speak of things you missed and vise versa. Looking for secret buttons, in secret places... doing secret stuff. Everyone navigating his magnum opus like we are on a BBS in old skool glory!

The Lascaux cave has nothing on this.

Nobody likes an I told you so. But I did. I knew each year I worked on it the flavour of the sauce was getting better.

I see all these people still in the Avian Mountains and they have no idea of the glory that lies beyond these small cordons of gameplay in the much wider world beyond it.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Damn! I've been playing the game for some hours and I feel like I'm back to the Crusaders of the Dark Savant days.
What a great game! And all this fun for less than 100mbs of disk space!
Sometimes "less" can really be "more".
:russiastronk::mrpresident:

Congratulations for making a great game, Cleve!

Thank you so much. I tried to mak et gud.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Esc does do something, just not very much :(

Party size aside...

I was a Grimoire beta tester in the very early days of this. I wasn't one for very long, because of the interface issues. I think the last words Cleve and I had (an amicable parting it was) went along the lines that "I wasn't suited" to the game. We parted ways.
What he meant was that he wasn't prepared to listen to construcive criticism. :) It wasn't as if these were radical new fangled ideas. FFS, how hard is it to make Esc = click on EXIT button?
In the early days of RPGs (Bard's Tale, MMI and such) interface issues almost didn't exist, I guess partly because there were no standards, and partly because the mouse was almost an afterthought.
A decade later though, I didn't get why these things weren't in the game from day 1, and frankly I am astounded that these same 'features' haven't been addressed. It isn't as if I am the first one to mention them. :)
Forget Monthy Python taking him to task, think of all the future RSI and carpal tunnel cases this clickfest will cause.

Forget no excuses in the 2017s, there were none in the 90s. A poorly designed interface is a poorly designed interface (think Elminage). Get past this, and you most likely have an amazing game. I wasn't able to get past it back then, (probably because there were so many alternatives) and now... I dunno, I might be able to :) It is such a freaking pity that a true gem may be hidden underneath an interface that will turn even fans of the genre off, and not let potential new fans to enjoy it. :(

Esc should exit whatever screen you are on.
Scroll bars should scroll windows, without needing to click on a freaking arrow.
Can't remember if mouses had scroll wheels back then, but today... they do.

Anyway, onya Cleve, I hope it is onwards and upwards for you and your game. :)

I knew I had forgotten something

Scroll bars should scroll windows, without needing to click on a freaking arrow.

It's fucking stupid that in 2017 I need to click on the scroll bar and move it myself instead of using my mouse wheel.

Sorry Cleveland Mark Blakemore, but if you can't get the most basic of interface features done, whether because of ignorance or stubborness, who knows what the hell may I encounter later in the game. Grimoire is unpolished all the way from the intro to the main game screen, all over the interface, and I simply won't waste any moments of my already short time playing this when there are 20-year old cRPGs with much better interfaces.

User interface is how you interact with the game. If it's good, you won't even notice it. If it's bad, it will be annoying as hell and get in the way of a good session. Should've taken notes from Elminage: Original.
are you a tranny?

Reapa

Doom Preacher
I'll pirate the game in a month or two, just to say I tried it. By then someone will have gotten to the "end" which will just be a crash to desktop because the game is unfinished. It may be removed from Steam at that point, especially after all the stolen code and assets come to light.
what did i miss? when did cleave rape your butt and why?

hitfan

Double Sided Games
Developer
Back to 'Mostly Positive' :salute:

AA04GCm.png

Not for lack of trying.

No matter how many SJWs write bad reviews of the Louvre, people will still want to see the Mona Lisa. Even if they all claimed it is kitsch and not worth the trip. Excellence and incline win. Fail and decline lose.

I've been to the Louvre and after seeing the Code of Hammurabi, the Sumerian wing and the paintings of master, Jacques Louis David, I skipped past the Mona Lisa exhibit because it's room was packed to the gills.

d445c4951b7a3ff12991de32435cde0ab56b551e.jpg

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
I'll pirate the game in a month or two, just to say I tried it. By then someone will have gotten to the "end" which will just be a crash to desktop because the game is unfinished. It may be removed from Steam at that point, especially after all the stolen code and assets come to light.
what did i miss? when did cleave rape your butt and why?

When did I wander onto a forum where everyone mutually agreed to suck off a guy who released a broken, buggy half-finished mess of a game after 26 years of development time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom