Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which PC RPGs of 2006 have you played? [top 100 voting thread]

Which of the following RPGs have you played?

• Dark Messiah of Might and Magic

Votes: 68 59.1%
  • Dungeon Cleaners

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • Dungeon Siege 2: Broken World

Votes: 38 33.0%
  • Geneforge 4: Rebellion

Votes: 20 17.4%
  • Gothic 3

Votes: 60 52.2%
  • Heroes of Annihilated Empires

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • Mage Knight: Apocolypse

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Neverwinter Nights 2

Votes: 95 82.6%
  • Spellforce 2: Shadow Wars

Votes: 25 21.7%
  • Titan Quest

Votes: 61 53.0%
  • Ys Origin

Votes: 15 13.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Same rules as before, this time for 2006.

Notes:

Yup, some really stretching the definition games padding up the list this year, but with so little to pick from, might as well include them. No idea if Ys is a port of something or what with that game, but it claims to be a PC game by design, please correct me if I'm wrong.

If I've missed any, please don't hesitate to point them out.

mbv123

Arbiter
OEddzBO.jpg

I think you might have overlooked something...

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
Have not heard of a few of those. Geneforge was super good though. Fond memories of this series.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot

Oblivion was a multi-platform release.

Sorry, I can't take these polls seriously anymore.
Oblivion was released for the PC in 2006. What does it matter which other platforms it was released for?

These rules have been known since the polls started... if you only noticed when Oblivion was listed then that's fairly bizarre. Oblivion was released as an X-Box exclusive which also had a simultaneous PC port.

Last edited:

duanth123

Arcane
Dungeon Cleaners a.k.a. Planet Alcatraz. Never released in English.

Also, Ys Origin's PC english release wasn't until years lasted. 2006 was Japanese PC release.

pippin

Is Heroes of Annihilated Empires an rpg? It might be the same thing than Dragonshard, a strategy game with rpg elements.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot

Also, Ys Origin's PC english release wasn't until years lasted. 2006 was Japanese PC release.

Its lucky I'm not discriminating by language then. Is it any good? What do you do in it? And, yes, the list is based on first release date, wherever that was, so that's good.

Is Heroes of Annihilated Empires an rpg? It might be the same thing than Dragonshard, a strategy game with rpg elements.

"Real-time strategy, Action role-playing game" is its descriptor apparently. For this one I read up a bit more and its wiki states "the game can be played as an action role-playing game with a solo hero unit or as a traditional base-building real-time strategy game." Which sounds fine to me, though I would obviously hope people were just voting on the aRPG aspect.

-----------------------------------

The one I was hoping people would question was Titan Quest. I don't know why but I thought that was an MMO, but the info I read while researching this poll suggested it had a strong single player campaign. However, if that campaign was on-line only, as in you had to be permanently on-line to play it then it would be disqualified. I couldn't find details of this in my, admittedly limited, searches.

duanth123

Arcane

Its lucky I'm not discriminating by language then. Is it any good? What do you do in it? And, yes, the list is based on first release date, wherever that was, so that's good.

"Real-time strategy, Action role-playing game" is its descriptor apparently. For this one I read up a bit more and its wiki states "the game can be played as an action role-playing game with a solo hero unit or as a traditional base-building real-time strategy game." Which sounds fine to me, though I would obviously hope people were just voting on the aRPG aspect.

-----------------------------------

The one I was hoping people would question was Titan Quest. I don't know why but I thought that was an MMO, but the info I read while researching this poll suggested it had a strong single player campaign. However, if that campaign was on-line only, as in you had to be permanently on-line to play it then it would be disqualified. I couldn't find details of this in my, admittedly limited, searches.

Never mind I stand corrected.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/289420/Planet_Alcatraz/

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/planet-alcatraz.32401/

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I've only ever played TQ offline. It's an action rpg in the veins of diablo and a precursor to grim... dawn.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
None. From this year on, we're entering the dark "none" zone AFAIC.

Are you serious? I can think of lots of great cRPGs in the last 10 years. Maybe not lots as in 7 per year, but lots as in at least one good one per year average, if not more. I'd have thought you'd be one of the people who'd at least have liked Knights of the Chalice, for example.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
KotC is a special case since it at least runs on my old rig. Alas, I just don't care for this kind of old graphics enough anymore to invest tens of hours watching them. I've had my share with the actual Dark Sun games back in the day, and a few times after that. I'm no graphic whore, but this is just butt ugly. I still may get around it someday since it's widely acclaimed for its strategic depth.
As for the rest, I don't care for 95% of CRPG since the mid 2000's and the 5% I'd be willing to try won't run on my old friend of a PC. Eventually it will die and I'll get a newer computer and then, I'll probably have like 10 or 15 new games to try. If they're good and offer replay value, that will give me something to play... for the next ten years.

Who knows, Grimoire might even be out by then.
:hailcthulhu:

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
I guess I can sort of understand that. If you're still using a 2004 XP system or similar that is. I'm still using a 2009 win7 system so I'm still limited on many of the newer titles until I get round to a new system and, like you, having lots of new stuff to pick from, but even I've found many games to enjoy in the last 10 years. If graphics deter you from stuff like KotC and Serpents in the Staglands then there's still stuff like Drakensang: River of Time and the King's bounty remake that helped bridge the empty years, both of which have more regular modern graphics and a dedication to gameplay over action or story.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
I run Windiws 7 on a 2005 rig with a prehistoric graphic card that I had much trouble making Windows 7 "compatible".

King's Bounty remake doesn't run on my PC. :( I really wanted to play it since I spent way two many hours on the original one. But it doesn't run. It's too bad since Heroes V, released around the same time, does, but I didn't like it one bit.

As for Drakensang, I don't know, it doesn't look like the kind of game I'll like, but I'll look into it.

Right now, I'm making a BG+BG2 run using "Sword coast stratagems" since it got quite the reputation around here. So far, I've got mixed feelings about it. Some of it is good, some feels too much like "cheating", like "Tactics", only tamer. I know, I'm not easy to please, and it's not getting any better with age.:?

Last edited:

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
I played 20 minutes of Dark Messiah before giving up on getting it to run on my laptop. Will have to give it a try again now that I have a new one.

Quillon

Arcane

Oblivion was released for the PC in 2006. What does it matter which other platforms it was released for?

These rules have been known since the polls started... if you only noticed when Oblivion was listed then that's fairly bizarre. Oblivion was released as an X-Box exclusive which also had a simultaneous PC port.

I wonder if there'll be WL2, PoE or TToN in their respective years' polls? :P

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot

I wonder if there'll be WL2, PoE or TToN in their respective years' polls? :P

You know the rules, look up the games yourself. If they're PC games which later got a console port then yes. If they were console games which later got a PC port then no. If they were released simultaneously on PC and console then probably not.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Lol i am impressed by myself and little depressed.I have played all of the games and i only didn't check Ys and planet alkatraz because i haven't played them long enough.It is really deprresing when i come to some poll with the hopes of finding rpgs that i could waste time with and then finding that i have played them all.Also i am surprised that many codexers haven heard or played them.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
The only game on that list I spent any time with was NWN2 and that wasn't that good. Another lame year.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom