Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Should Roadwar get a remake?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Developers really need to consider this excellent idea.

How can you turn down a game about drive-by shootings, where you put a party in a rusty car in a post-apocalyptic setting, open up the windows, stick the guns out, and shoot down all the gangsters in town as you drive around it.

And of course, sometimes get off the car, search around, find different kinds of hostile or non-hostile encounters, shoot them on foot, be them in foot or in cars?

Or of course, fight enemies car-to-car.

And from there, just expand the game's concept as much as possible. Have a whole army of gangsters in rusty cars doing driveby shootings all over post-apoclyptic towns, crashing into other armies of cars doing driveby shootings. Rocket launchers and miniguns being fired on stationery positions set on jeeps, being fired car to car.

With modern graphics, it would be the ultimate junkyard masterpiece.

MisterStone

Arcane
You got it all wrong Wyrmie, Roadwar 2K was a tactical game involving turn-based tactical battles, looting, etc.

What it sounds like you want is a remake of AUTODUEL, which was pretty fucking awesome for it's time (early 1980s). It had realtime arcade combat (top-down), but more importantly it let you custom build the car you fought with, based closely on CarWars rules. A well-implemented CAR WARS game would be awesome, and that ID game is probably the closest there will be to that for the time being.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Shit, I was also thinking about autoduel. Never got very far into Roadwar 2K. The Amiga version looked pretty good but on Dos it was so horrid that it even scared me away.

Luzur

Good Sir
Roadwar? sure, but only a graphics update to atleast 1990's best 2D standard, nothing else.

Psycroptic

Liturgist
I always felt Space Rangers II was Autoduel at heart. There's an amazing number of similarities. They just needed to add a factory where you could have more control over building your ship.

I wish they'd use a similar engine to SRII and actually redo Autoduel.

Car Wars is awesome too though. The number of options that game could have on a modern machine would be staggering.

thekdawg21

Augur
Project: Eternity
Played both of those games and loved them, would love a remake of either.

I'm still looking for updated remakes of SMAC, MOO2, and SWAT4. All were critically acclaimed and sold well, have no idea why anyone would put a gold mine like that on the shelf.

thekdawg21

Augur
Project: Eternity
Played both of those games and loved them, would love a remake of either.

I'm still looking for updated remakes of SMAC, MOO2, and SWAT4. All were critically acclaimed and sold well, have no idea why anyone would put a gold mine like that on the shelf.

Zomg

Arbiter
How did the main quest work in these? I never figured it out. Is there one? I just got 18-wheelers and big armies, used the quick battle system and pissed around getting more badass to no particular end.

circ

Arcane
I finished Roadwar main quest a few times. Don't remember if I ever finished Roadwar Europa, 'twas tougher I think. Anyway, you drove around until (in random cities every time) you eventually met scientists or somethnig that survived. They had some cure in mind or something so you needed to find more people and eventually you rebuilt the American government or something.

Freddie

Savant
I don't know if 3D brings that much value in something that would be successor for Roadwar 2000 or Roadwar Europe. I liked both games back in the day, though IIRC RW Europe was harder because there was a time limit on main quest.

Very abstract graphics left more to imagination and made navigating and combat encounters very fast. Something like Space Rangers 2 with several vehicles of course, you have a huge gang, might work just fine.

Now I think of it, it would be fucking awesome to get updated version.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom