Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Companions having shit stats is fine IMO, makes your PC stand out more.

BG1 begs to differ, where some companions are more powerful than the PC can be (Coran without stat books, you can't ever be more powerful than Edwin, Viconia with her 50% magic resistance)

Sentinel

Arcane
It's not about percentages you dumb jew :lol::lol: You can have percentages, why not

It's not subjective, you Cucksidian shill. Why this ruleset/system sucks balls is very objective,

And yet you proceed to list a bunch of subjective shit produced by your deranged excuse of a brain.

• Endurance adds a tedious and pointless layer to combat in the name of accessibility for peasants who never played an RPG, just so you wouldn't need to rest after every fight (retarded). This leads to your party members getting KO'd in every fight and in ways to cannot predict or prevent. It's probably the worst design decision in PoE, rivaled in its retardedness only by Effort in Numanum
  • stats grant too small of an improvement for the player to gauge, Might gives +3% dmg per point and Con gives +3% max HP per point. This isn't Diablo II where max level is 99 so that's OBJECTIVELY a BAD design
  • "per encounter" idiocy takes away the tactical element of preparation and trivializes combat. Just as MMO crap like cooldowns
  • too many conditions with too many effects not even devs can memorize. conditions should be clear and precise
  • class/race balance was incredibly shit at release, ironically enough. Just proves you can never balance everything 100%

• Endurance is there so you don't have to waste time casting CLW or installing an autocast script. It's also there to reduce dependency on clerics. It's a success on every front. It's the absolute opposite of tedious, it has nothing to do with accessibility or resting, wtf.
  • PoE stats grant more of a improvement per point than AD&D, with strength<=>might being the ONLY reasonable contender for melee. It's also a huge improvement because all stats are relevant for all classes, unlike e.g. fighters where you ignore 3/6.
  • I bet you consider Underrail shit too, just because it has "cooldowns". Degenerates like you should be hanged
  • How can you complain PoE is too complicated when you are comparing it to fucking DnD, where every spell is its own effect? PoE just grouped most sensible stuff together.
  • You are high on drugs. PoE on release was not nearly as bad as Bg2 is today.
Except most of those could have out of combat utility if there were quests in BG2 that allowed you to solve shit in multiple ways, but the game usually forces combat on your ass. If those spells were in PoE2 or in Fallout New Vegas, they'd be extremely good for going about completing quests/navigating maps in a different manner.

So, your grievance is that PoE has decent non-combat uses of it's combat spells, but somehow, that is worse than the non-existent non-combat uses of non-combat spells in Bg?
Are you fucking mentally retarded?
Some BG spells do absolutely have out of combat uses. PoE has a grand total of 0 spells that can be used outside of combat.
The spells that PoE copies from BG/DnD are extremely gimped for balance's sake. They're not fun to use because they're bonuses that any potion can give. You don't feel powerful or that your level advancement has any meaning.

Sizzle

Arcane
The IE games' system of "rest everywhere, after every fight" was so much better :D

It was. Because you actually had to plan your moves , pre-buff etc. "Now ill use magic missile and save fireball for later" instead of this tunnel vision garbage for RPG peasants

In a game where you can rest in any situation, after every fight - this is sort of trivial. Not to mention - completely untrue.

Every fight? :D

You're not very good at this game, are you? :lol:

The game was piss easy once you understand how shit works. Nice try. Im sad I ever wasted time on it.

Considering you got caught with your pants down, I'll merely quote what you yourself wrote mere minutes ago:

This leads to your party members getting KO'd in every fight and in ways to cannot predict or prevent.

:lol:

And yet, for all its faults - it's still a better-designed system than IE's "Playing a fighter? Pump STR, CON, DEX, ignore INT, WIS."

Min-maxing is more fun than the exhilaration you feel when you raise Might by 1 point only to get + 0.03% damage increase

Min-maxing is one thing. Having a system where, depending on which class you choose, half the attributes are worthless, is another ;)

Parabalus

Arcane
BG1 begs to differ, where some companions are more powerful than the PC can be (Coran without stat books, you can't ever be more powerful than Edwin, Viconia with her 50% magic resistance)

That's the opposite of somebody having a shitty stat spread (think Garrick), those guys are hardly "untermenschen", they are the top offerings. It's just the opposite side, nothing wrong with guys being better than your character too.

Are you fucking mentally retarded?
Some BG spells do absolutely have out of combat uses. PoE has a grand total of 0 spells that can be used outside of combat.
The spells that PoE copies from BG/DnD are extremely gimped for balance's sake. They're not fun to use because they're bonuses that any potion can give. You don't feel powerful or that your level advancement has any meaning.

Yeah, you posted a list of 20 spells, out of which maybe 5 have an OoC use, mostly novelty.

They are fun precisely because they aren't essential like Bg2 arcanery was. Bg2 also had potions which couldn't be mimiced by spells.

The only one who benefits less from levels Bg2<->PoE are casters because they lost quadratic scaling, good riddance to that. Martial classes leveling up is way more meaningful, and caster classes actually have level up choices, unlike in Bg where you only consider where you will dump that useless prof point with your wizard once.

Wizards are still arguably the strongest class in PoE, you really need to get this gimped shit out of your head.

Will you at least be able to cast spells outside of combat this time around?

Hopefully not, not looking forward to prebuffing for a minute before important fights.

DAHM.png

Yey! Fun gameplay!

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
That's the opposite of somebody having a shitty stat spread (think Garrick), those guys are hardly "untermenschen", they are the top offerings. It's just the opposite side, nothing wrong with guys being better than your character too.

I'm saying that those aren't the untermenschen and they are the people I take, while Garrick, Khalid, Tiax, Skie, Ajantis etc. etc. are and I wouldn't take them, let alone give them items to compensate for their shittiness.

Sentinel

Arcane
Yeah, you posted a list of 20 spells, out of which maybe 5 have an OoC use, mostly novelty.

They are fun precisely because they aren't essential like Bg2 arcanery was. Bg2 also had potions which couldn't be mimiced by spells.

The only one who benefits less from levels Bg2<->PoE are casters because they lost quadratic scaling, good riddance to that. Martial classes leveling up is way more meaningful, and caster classes actually have level up choices, unlike in Bg where you only consider where you will dump that useless prof point with your wizard once.

Wizards are still arguably the strongest class in PoE, you really need to get this gimped shit out of your head.
1) Last time I checked, 5 OoC spells is still greater than PoE's 0.
2) BG2 having potions that can't be mimicked by spells is only a positive and serves to show how shit and boring PoE is in this regard. When every potion has some spell's effect, that spell loses its value because you can just replace it with the potion. If potions have unique effects, like BG had, that's fucking great and only serves to make both potions and spells unique and stand out from one another.

Sentinel

Arcane

I'm curious why you have a burning desire for casting out of combat.
Because if PoE2 is to have a New Vegas style of structure and allow me to go on an independent path, I'd like to be able to kill any NPC in the game, just like in Fallout New Vegas. Obviously, popping someone with a Power Word - Kill should be quicker than swinging at them with a sword. If there are other creative spells, you could do some pretty cool shit. For example, if PoE had time stop and you had a pick pocketing Wizard, you could Time Stop --> pick pocket the target --> kill him and laugh.

Playing around with game systems is always the most fun thing in an RPG. If the game doesn't allow you to do that, it's mediocre at best.

I also enjoy pre-buffing and preparing before I enter an area instead of wasting 10 seconds of battle time buffing everyone while the enemy already has +100 accuracy and deflection beforehand and is steadily raping people as I try to boost them. Thankfully scrolls allowed out of combat buffing. That's how I got past that triple dragon + gay mage fight in the expansion.

Parabalus

Arcane
2) BG2 having potions that can't be mimicked by spells is only a positive and serves to show how shit and boring PoE is in this regard. When every potion has some spell's effect, that spell loses its value because you can just replace it with the potion. If potions have unique effects, like BG had, that's fucking great and only serves to make both potions and spells unique and stand out from one another.

PoE has several potions which can't be mimicked with spells. Even the ones that are spells are more useful than Bg ones because the drinkable spells are originally self-cast, compare e.g. usefulness of DAoM pot vs haste pot. You are just full of shit.

Sizzle

Arcane
Wait, TheSentinel, do you mean spells that can outright kill on a lucky roll, such as BG's Finger of Death spell, or Chromatic Orb?

Because I'm pretty sure Sawyer said there will never be spells like that (don't know if he changed his mind for PoE2, but I doubt it).

The problem I have with IE's spells (apart from some of them clearly being OP) is that they limit the usefulness of certain classes (mainly thieves). Why carry a thief with you, when a Mage is practically necessary, and he can cast Knock (unlock chests/doors), turn invisible, and find traps (or is that a Cleric spell? Oh well, you get what I mean)? The only things they can't mimic is pickpocketing, and that's not really necessary.

I liked some of the spells (like the ones that could reveal an unexplored part of the map, the Wish spell, etc.), but OOC spells were mostly for pre-buffing purposes, which I don't really miss.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
"AD&D didn't have per-encounter and percentages, MUH FEELZ"
Combining percentages, decimal fractions, tents of a second, and seconds, which in turn are a 1/60th of something, is indeed a shitty approach, and there's no way around that fact. A good RPG system should allow for easy mental math, so the player can gauge the effects of his choices. What made it even worse in PoE was the fact they couldn't provide important stats for gear due to tech limitations, and the base recovery times being too short for people to be able to follow what's going on.

Yeah. IE games might as well not have had stats. You just roll until you get 18 18 18 3 3 3 and then assign them to the correct stats for your class. So depth, such complex.
No one made you assign your stats this way though. I went through IWD + HoW with a mundane and imperfect party.

If I remember correctly, I asked about this in some stream, and the answer was no.

Prime Junta

No one made you assign your stats this way though. I went through IWD + HoW with a mundane and imperfect party.

Sure. And you can leave all your stats at 3 in Pillars as well. Or not wear any armour, ever. Or fight with your bare hands. Or gimp yourself in any of a million other ways. So what?

vortex

Fabulous Optimist

You can. You will be able to fuze the barrels with spells to destroy some walls. I think casting out of the combat will be for destructible environments only.

Altought I wish this would be true for solving the puzzles. Remember Loom and some oldies.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Sure. And you can leave all your stats at 3 in Pillars as well. Or not wear any armour, ever. Or fight with your bare hands. Or gimp yourself in any of a million other ways. So what?
So, nothing. You said "IE games might not have had stats, everyone assigns his class' main stats to 18 anyway". I say this isn't a drawback of the IE games, but a decision the player may or may not make.

Sizzle

Arcane
So, nothing. You said "IE games might not have had stats, everyone assigns his class' main stats to 18 anyway". I say this isn't a drawback of the IE games, but a decision the player may or may not make.

And why should a player make a decision where he'll deliberately gimp himself?

For some self-imposed role-playing challenge?

Fact is, the only thing you get out of it is the satisfaction of knowing that you can make a shitty character and still win.

It's like one of those Fallout 1's "Tag Outdoorsman, Traps and Gambling and finish the game. It's fun cause it's harder to do so with a crappy skill selection, but I'm roleplaying an outdoorsman type with a gambling addiction!"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom