Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Josh Sawyer Q&A Thread

Prime Junta

i need some TP for my bunghole

TigerKnee

Arcane
How does ol Josh manage to write articles that are technically correct but not translate his design policies into fun gameplay?

ThoseDeafMutes

Learned
Have there been any good games that were primarily FP but also had a secondary over the shoulder or something mode that let them have enough "body awareness" to do melee well? Sort of the opposite of third person shooters that go into FP when you aim down sights. Live in FP, vacation in TP.

Depends how good you think Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines was. The actual mechanics of combat were kind of bad, it's a good game overall though.

Prime Junta

His German has improved miles. Wish I could write it that well. That Privatlehrer must be helping.

Edit: summary for Untermenschen --

klugerhanseffekt is describing the rest mechanics in Kingmaker, including random encounters while resting, and is asking if P2 will have something similar. Josh says "nein," and explains that that sort of thing would only make sense in Trial of Iron, because most players would just cheese it by save-scumming otherwise. P2 will have food incorporated into rest mechanics, which will give bonuses, with the best foods rare or expensive. I.e. if you camp too often, you'll end up with worse bonuses sooner or later.

Which BTW is a pretty nice idea for limiting rests.

Quillon

Arcane

Watching this...are there any other game/project directors endured as many game cancellations as Sawyer did? (TBH, VB, AC, SL/NC, ...?). What's wrong with him? :P

Quillon

Arcane
https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...rid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=202#post473582924

Josh said:
Furism posted:
Yeah for a game that's supposed to revive 90's D&D there sure isn't a lot of, hum, female armor.
Some of the 80s/90s TSR artists went with pretty practical armor designs from time to time. Clyde Caldwell basically never did, but some of Keith Parkinson's designs were practical as were even some of Larry Elmore's (sort of, e.g. Laurana standing over Sturm Brightblade).

I gave a talk a little while ago about some of the formative images in fantasy from when I was young. This painting on the cover of a Dragon magazine stuck with me for ~25 years and inspired the basic concept of Sagani in Pillars.

tumblr_ndwjovH62F1qjsj27o1_500.jpg

Make a mother of 5 dwarf woman out of that hot ginger :negative:

BilboBaggins

Educated
https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...rid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=202#post473582924

Josh said:
Furism posted:
Yeah for a game that's supposed to revive 90's D&D there sure isn't a lot of, hum, female armor.
Some of the 80s/90s TSR artists went with pretty practical armor designs from time to time. Clyde Caldwell basically never did, but some of Keith Parkinson's designs were practical as were even some of Larry Elmore's (sort of, e.g. Laurana standing over Sturm Brightblade).

I gave a talk a little while ago about some of the formative images in fantasy from when I was young. This painting on the cover of a Dragon magazine stuck with me for ~25 years and inspired the basic concept of Sagani in Pillars.

tumblr_ndwjovH62F1qjsj27o1_500.jpg

Make a mother of 5 dwarf woman out of that hot ginger :negative:

I had that issue as a kid. *OLD*

Chris Avelltwo

Scholar
His language skills are pretty impressive.
Shows his superior mental capacity. No wonder so many codexers don't like him. ;)

The people who can't/don't appreciate Josh Sawyer's genius are the casual popamolers that would rather play a Toddler Howard game instead. I wasn't here at the time, but I've heard that back when FO4 came out almost everyone on here rushed to play it on day one of release, so with that being the case you are right that it is no surprise so many on here don't like Josh Sawyer and say he "hates fun", because their own idea of "fun" is playing FO4, apparently.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
As expected, Chris is to blame for the lack of :balance: with some of those DLC weapons.

Sentinel

Arcane
Fucking OWB. Went into that DLC with a guns build, on max difficulty, and I had never seen enemies with so much HP in my life. I actually didn't have enough ammo available to clear out a single dungeon area. Thankfully I had sneak maxed, otherwise I would have quit the game right there.
I have no idea how I dealt with the final boss of the DLC either, mr big scorpion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom