Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thief Series Fan Patch Guide

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Doesn't look like any big changes from a player perspective, but it's always good for quality games to be maintained.

voodoo47

Learned
well, I don't think anyone will say no to bugfixes and more stability. and the new editor stuff is great as always.

voodoo47

Learned
updated TFix again, NewDark 1.23 is in. and fixed all the Bonehoard mushrooms while at it.

voodoo47

Learned
lazy positioning. most of them are placed on sloped surfaces, so their pitch and bank needs to be set appropriately for them to look like they are actually growing from their respective surfaces. and guess what, whoever had the bright idea to scatter hundreds of mushrooms around this level did not bother to do that. once you see it, it cannot be unseen (but to be fair, probably was much less of a visual problem when people were running the game in the 640*480 resolution and with a broken z-buffer or other stuff like that).

anyway, it's a-fixed now.

voodoo47

Learned
now here's something out of ordinary - a new mod for T2 and TG, it will add properly modeled and textured butts to all the unfortunate AIs that can end up being dragged around by Garrett. will be included in the next TFix release, but as that is probably not going to happen for a while I'm posting the link in case someone would want to grab some ass right away.

to install (TFixed T1/TG), just extract the MESH folder and the dmls from the archive into the USERMODS folder (or follow the instructions in the readme, if cfg editing is your thing).

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Odd, a mod that adds properly clothed asses, not "anatomically correct" ones.

Makes one think that there are still sane people online.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Odd, a mod that adds properly clothed asses, not "anatomically correct" ones.

Makes one think that there are still sane people online.

Thief community already had its fill of crazy with the guy who claimed he was the best level designer of all time ever while insulting people like Melan, skacky and Yandros.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
He's basically still a crazy fucker who threatens to sue people for libel when they criticize his shit, while he himself throws insults left and right. He threatened to sue the Codex :)lol:) but when nobody here was willing to bow down to his bullshit, he vanished after unleashing a storm of insults upon everyone who ever posted in the Thief FM thread.

voodoo47

Learned
NecroAge texture pack has been updated. ho-ho-ho.
List of changes for version 2.3:
*Thief 1/Gold AI and vegetation brought up to the same level of detail as Thief 2. The human high poly AI and already existing high detail critters are joined by FireMage's new bugbeast model and concept art faithful monkeybeasts.
*Improved sky effects, especially for Thief 1/Gold. The sky effects for the first game largely follow the original look, except with a detailed star field and added distant art. Thief 2 skies look about the same as they've always done in the Necro Age, except the light pollution is now controlled by DML-files, so clouds no longer have an orange tint in all missions. Requires mission restart to take effect.
*Miscellaneous additions and tweaks.

For anyone who's been having problems getting full surround sound on Thief with OpenAL on Realtek chipsets, I managed to do it by getting a new version of the .dll (1.17).

http://kcat.strangesoft.net/openal.html#download

You still need to install the old Creative .exe package, but then you replace the .dlls on SysWOW64 (for 64-bit OS users) and System32. Just remember to rename the .dlls in the .zip to OpenAL32.dll and put the 32-bit one in the SysWOW64 folder, and the 64-bit one in the System32 folder.

Holy FUCK, do the Thief games sound great. I remember buying a Soundblaster Live just for Thief 1 (4.1 get on my level) and being completely amazed. It still sounds amazing and better than pretty much anything else out there. I love Thief.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
T3 Sneaky Upgrade was updated a few times since I last visited this thread: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138607&page=37&p=2327207&viewfull=1#post2327207

1.1.7 is finally out. Edit: Bugfix release 1.1.7.1 is out, see the list of changes below.

Because the installer got an overhaul I thought it was a good time to take mensch's suggestion and change the naming: The Fat Edition is now the Full Edition and the former Standard Edition is the Update Edition - for use when appropriate. The following describes the changes relative to 1.1.6, so it's basically a rehash of the various beta posts:

The highlight of 1.1.7 is the inclusion of the "GarrAT" Garrett Animation Tweaks mod by ascottk - this has been on the to-do list for a long time. In the Sneaky Upgrade incarnation of the mod it'll work not only with the original game but also with T3 Gold and (in principle) all FMs. Assuming most players will want this it's enabled by default after installation.

The two small launcher executables are no longer patched originals but rewritten, simplified replacements - thanks to Abysmal and tolsen64 for testing. T3.exe will now launch the patched game for the benefit of Steam, GOG Galaxy and GarrettLoader users. This also means that the original desktop shortcut will now again launch the patched game. You can still run the unpatched game if needed, through a shortcut in the start menu.
Thief3Launcher.exe (the replacement Ion Launcher.exe), which keeps the desktop hidden while launching a new level, hopefully removes the need to disable themes on some versions of Windows. As a bonus it will cut a couple of seconds off loading times...

The installer has had a much-needed overhaul, using more installer pages instead of cramming everything into 'additional tasks'. Uninstalling a previous version has been moved to after clicking the Install button, so it's now possible to cancel at any point before and keep the current version.

A few new settings are available in the tweak tool:

• In a multi-monitor setup, run the game on a display which is not the primary
  • Allow the game to run on multiple cores. When this works it will increase performance, at least in some cases
  • New tweak to scale down the size of the tip/flavour text on loading screens

The display selection and multicore features are somewhat experimental - feedback is welcome!

The loading screen size tweak provides 5 sizes from Normal to Smallest. Thief 3 Gold now uses a smaller size with improved formatting. Since it's a purely cosmetic change, T3G is still on version 1.2 and existing savegames will work:

Level loading is now fast enough that there's often not enough time to actually read the loading screen text - so loading can now be paused by holding down the Ctrl key.

A couple of small original issues with the loading screen text were fixed in the process. Most importantly the centered text, which would revert to left-justified after a couple of lines, is now left-justified to begin with.

The fix for the frozen mouse cursor when using large fonts is now on by default. The tweaker will now detect if it's already running, instead of launching a second instance. Various small fixes and improvements to descriptive text.

Behind the scenes everything has been moved to Visual Studio 2015 - which unfortunately means everything is now broken on Wine. Mac/Linux users should stick to the beta (1.1.6.500).

Changes in 1.1.7.1:

• Fix for broken animations in the bundled GarrAT mod. At least the third person blackjacking and stabbing animations were broken, but possibly others
  • Fix for the replacement T3.exe quitting immediately after launching the game, which would break Steam time-keeping yet again
  • Fix for the replacement T3.exe timing out when running the unpatched game in fullscreen and loading a level. (The menu would be reloaded in this case)
  • The tweaker now shows the SU version number in the title bar so you'll know if you're running the right one.
    tongue.gif
  • The tweaker page can now be changed using the up/down arrow keys

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138607&page=30&p=2310408&viewfull=1#post2310408

1.1.6 is out. The changes listed here are relative to 1.1.5.2, not the beta from early December.

The installer:

• Thief 3 Gold and the Briefings are now activated by default
  • Fixed a bug which could cause the install paths for mods and FMs to be set wrong on Windows XP
  • Now bundles and installs the official VS2013 runtime
  • On Wine (Linux/Mac) the runtime DLLs are set native for Thief 3 automatically

The patched game now works out of the box on Wine. (Tested on Ubuntu 14.04 with Wine 1.8 pretending to be Windows XP.)

The game:

• Game launch now bypasses the launcher exe. This eliminates most Steam and GOG quirks
  • Window Mode option: Fullscreen, windowed or borderless windowed
  • New tweaks: Mouse sensitivity, run speed, gravity (separate tweak now) and ambient light
  • Fix for the in-game loot list showing wrong values and total in certain FMs
  • Option to allow attempted loading of savegames that are rejected as damaged by the game. (Not available in the tweaker)
  • Fixed a bug where FMs without either a User.ini or User_patch.ini file would not get settings copied in from the OM
    User.ini. Thanks to fortuni for reporting it
  • Fixed (hopefully) the game crashing on multisampling settings 2 and 4 on Windows 10

Please use the icon(s) installed by the patch to launch the game - any original shortcuts will still launch the original game, as a result of renaming the exe files to escape Steam and GOG interference. For the same reason GarrettLoader users need to do a bit of manual work, post-install. (It's possible that there'll be installer support for this later.)

The loot list fix is active only for FMs, and only when starting a new game. (Loading an old save will turn the fix off.) Because each type of loot only has one line in the list, the column originally showing per-item value is changed to show the total value for all items of that type. The header is then changed to show "Total" instead of "Value" so that's an easy way to tell if the fix is active.

No progress on the other Windows 10 issues (broken brightness and vsync).
frown.gif

The mods:

• Because gravity is now a separate tweak, the Minimalist Project now has a Gravity Factor override
  • Due to issues such as this, Minimalist is now disabled while playing FMs

If you currently have Minimalist active it's best to finish any in-progress FMs before updating.

A huge thank you to fortuni as the main tester this time! Both the loot list fix and the new tweaks are a result of his walkthrough writing project. In addition he's tested several beta versions very thoroughly - the loot list fix in particular.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

voodoo47

Learned
most people probably know, but both TafferPatcher and TFix are up to date (NewDark 1.25) now.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So how the hell do you install OpenAL?
This tells me little.
Apparantly you ned Cmake but that one is even more user unfriendly.

It's like OpenAL is for programmers only?
This is how far I got with the installation:
Assuming configuration went well, you can then build it, typically using GNU Make (KDevelop, MSVC, and others are possible depending on your system setup and CMake configuration).
Except none of these come up on the Configuration list.

I had no idea USB headphones (Logitech G633) have inbuilt soundcard when I bought them, but the sound quality is excellent and they are both sturdy and comfy. It's annoying as hell that when using the headphones the directional sound works fine in the cutscenes in Thief Gold, but not in-game.
So I thought I'd install OpenAL and see if it helps.

EDIT: Apparently you need to compile the program yourself by downloading the source code for OpenAL, and for that you need Cmake. But Cmake needs GNU Maker which is another compiler. But the downloaded GNU Maker is not compiled. You need a Windows compiler to compile the compiler.
Jesus Christus!!!
:rage:

Yeah, I think I know why OpenAL is not more widespread.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I think I've always had it automatically installed along with something else. Either a game that uses it or a sound card driver, not sure. It just works(tm).

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
So how the hell do you install OpenAL?
This tells me little.
Apparantly you ned Cmake but that one is even more user unfriendly.

It's like OpenAL is for programmers only?
This is how far I got with the installation:
Assuming configuration went well, you can then build it, typically using GNU Make (KDevelop, MSVC, and others are possible depending on your system setup and CMake configuration).
Except none of these come up on the Configuration list.

I had no idea USB headphones (Logitech G633) have inbuilt soundcard when I bought them, but the sound quality is excellent and they are both sturdy and comfy. It's annoying as hell that when using the headphones the directional sound works fine in the cutscenes in Thief Gold, but not in-game.
So I thought I'd install OpenAL and see if it helps.

EDIT: Apparently you need to compile the program yourself by downloading the source code for OpenAL, and for that you need Cmake. But Cmake needs GNU Maker which is another compiler. But the downloaded GNU Maker is not compiled. You need a Windows compiler to compile the compiler.
Jesus Christus!!!
:rage:

Yeah, I think I know why OpenAL is not more widespread.
Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux...

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Taff, I'm an idiot!
Turns out I get OpenAL if I turn off sound Hardware Acceleration, and now directional sound works!
I could swear I tried it when installing the game, though...

Correction: there are three options: HA on, HA off and HA: Open AL. The last one makes the EAX field active.

Damn, I need to get some sleep...

Last edited:

voodoo47

Learned
TFix 1.25 is out - this was supposed to be just a boring small bugfix release (plus syncing the patcher version with the NewDark version it's currently using), but thanks to a donated extra script, a really neat (and much requested) feature has been added - T2 style objective completion notifications.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom