Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Report: BioWare Montreal scaled down, Mass Effect series on hiatus

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
capitalist democracies are just always at risk
lol communist countries were last isle of freedom for usual people.
Capitalism is a cancer, parasitizing on people, and soon it start to eat masses of complacent fools in more obvious way.

This post would be a good case study of how ideology causes people to spout empty platitudes that a cursory glance at history or an iota of common sense would instantly disprove beyond all doubt.

Basically nothing good will come of it.
This post of you is a good case study of how capitalistic states manipulating and dumbing down the unwashed masses to safely parasitazing them and digest.
If you are not a complete fool, you will remember my words.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Ergo, a person who empties his mind of all thoughts about right and wrong as prescribed by ideologies like conservatism or liberalism will know for certain what right and wrong are because this knowledge is part of who he is without being manipulated by memes.

Aren't all thoughts memes?

Anyway, in Zen, by emptying your mind, you react to reality instead of an idea of reality. Instead of having to search for a purpose for your actions, purpose is (somehow, dunno how don't ask me) revealed to you. At least that's what I understand about Zen.

Surely purpose is not revealed? Purpose is. Purpose is experiencing reality and acting accordingly. Purpose can not be revealed because it is transitory just as the self and the world is.
If purpose were revealed it would not be purpose, it would be the idea of purpose, would it not?

Splitting hairs perhaps.

lol of course the humorless scolds here immediately resort to reductio ad SJWam

BioWare's fate was written on 11/11/11, the date of Skyrim's release. Despite endless budgets and years of time, they failed to successfully adapt to the open world RPG marketplace. They're dinosaurs.

I can't agree with you here, I've noticed that once a person catches the mind virus their ability, humour and general competence enters a noticeable decline. In terms of an organisation hiring on the basis of meeting quotas, rather than the best talent will also have a devastating effect over the long term.

Besides there's still plenty of hype for non open world RPGs, the 'one city block' style still has a market, it just needs a competent, and well produced entry.

That is pretty much what ideologies do, and why Nietzsche came out swinging against them in Thus Spoke Zarathustra and other writings.

Every ideology that has ever existed is (obviously) empty platitudes and plausible sounding lies. People instinctively grasp for them, though, the same way addicts grasp for cigarettes or babies grasp for their baby blankets.

An ubermensch is effectively a human who has eliminated the ball of anxiety at the root of their skull that makes them want to grasp at ideas that provide them with a sense fulfillment and purpose. Instead, they laugh at the inherent emptiness of things and fill it with their own sense of purpose.

Yeah......or Thus Spoke Zarathustra was what Nietzsche wrote when the nihilism he championed in his youth (back when he was trolling pretty much everyone and calling himself and his first major work "The Antichrist":)- got a little bit fucking real and he started desperately clawing for a way out, except Zarathustra isn't nearly as convincing an answer, as The Gay Science and Human, all too human and Beyond Good and Evil were at questioning moral reality.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I keep forgetting to mention this, but the Codex twitter account's tweet about this is filtered out of search results. I have no idea if someone in Bioware has an in with twitter staff or if it's a happy accident caused by their usual aggressive automated filtering.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
At the risk of playing semantics, the doctors at Bioware were never artists, so there is no expectation for them to have any artistic integrity. What counts is whether they respected the integrity of the artists they employed.

In broad strokes, they did. Enough that when they weren't able to do it anymore they lost enthusiasm for the business.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom