Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane PREY - Arkane's immersive coffee cup transformation sim - now with Mooncrash roguelike mode DLC

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
lol_spider-man.gif

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Sales would probably be not THAT bad: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-05-15-prey-bounces-back-to-claim-uk-no-1-in-second-week

Prey bounces back to claim UK No.1 in second week
Bethesda's game dropped just 32% in sales

Following a disappointing opening week, Bethesda's Prey has bounced back to claim the UK No.1 at its second attempt.

Physical sales dropped 32% in its second week, which is good for a triple-A title (sales can often drop by as much as 75%). Most of Prey's reviews were not published until last week because of Bethesda's reviews policy, where it doesn't give critics access to their games until they're available to the public. This could explain the relatively strong second week performance, with consumers holding off to judge the critical reaction (which was strong).

Despite the improvement, boxed sales remain relatively low, although with a quiet release slate over the summer, there's a chance the game will find its audience.

It's Bethesda's first No.1 since Fallout 4.

That means Mario Kart 8: Deluxe ends its two-week stay at the summit of the All Formats Top 40. The Nintendo Switch exclusive drops down to No.3 following a 60% drop in week-on-week sales.

GTA V, the game that just keeps selling, remains at No.2.

Meanwhile, there are no new boxed games in the charts this week. As a result, the number of games sold fell by 25% to 152,000. It's going to be a long tough summer for UK games retail as we await what is already shaping up to be a busy Q4 period.

Last Week This Week Title
2 1 Prey
3 2 Grand Theft Auto V
1 3 Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
8 4 FIFA 17
6 5 Rocket League
5 6 LEGO Worlds
4 7 Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
11 8 Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands
9 9 Horizon: Zero Dawn
7 10 The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
I understand it's a console game made for consoles. But it was made for current gen (ps4) correct? So why graphics of this game is on par with the first Dishonored?!!

Israfael

Arcane
Played a bit on the weekend, immensely satisfied so far. The only downside is that there's no weapon skills/stats, but I guess the modern audience would be scared even more than it is now.

I think people don't really appreciate the artstyle and confuse Bioshock with something else (aka Solaris by Tarkovsky). It only suits the lore as the station was built by our empire of evil, not kwans or someone else:

8617871cdd92618811e70b70e6110d7e.jpg

solaris22.jpg

Also, not sure why people are annoyed by mimics, meeting a swarm of cystoids / in EVA or a Telepath / Technopath outside of the station (not sure why it spawned there, but I died rather quickly and helplessly with nowhere to hide) is much much worse. Mimics, if you don't rush or play without headphones, are rather easy to notice even without psychoscope (a thing that Vernadsky or other Soviet cosmists would conceive, by the way)

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Yeah, visually, it really is one interesting and well realized vision. Closest thing I could describe it as evocation of future as it might have been depicted in late 70s or early 80s but, again, it is certainly not nearly as slavishly dedicated to replicating that as Alien Isolation was. Their art team deserves some accolades.

ciox

Liturgist
There will never be a game where you don't take all Leverage, all Hacking, and all Repair abilities unless you consciously want to shoot yourself in the foot for some reason.

I remember the nu-Deux Ex games had the same issue and it was just as shitty. No exclusive choices or differing alternatives, it's all same-same because you'll always sorta take the same.

I guess it's marginally different if you decide to go full-on Psyker, I guess, but it still feels like it lacks a lot of substance. The general choice between scientist/engineer/security should be at least somewhat meaningful.

I think I mentioned this before but I always thought there should be some kind of choice somewhere to pick a tree to specialize in, done separately for human and typhon abilities.
Basically as soon as you are able to upgrade human/typhon abilities, you select scientist/engineer/security or morph/telepathy/energy and neuromod costs are reduced by 1 in your selected tree (not reduced to less than 1) and increased by 1 for the other two, or a more complex change to the costs than that, whatever works.

So far I've managed to keep the game interesting on Hard by never upgrading the strength of medkits, I was really glad that medkits start very weak and you can make them stronger only if you want to.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Already cracked and still not worth pirating.
But at least it let good goys on Codex prove how supportive of bethesda they really are.

So much effort just to say how much you hate the game and Bethesda. It's like your posts are not worth reading.

ow supportive of bethesda they really are.

I bought it from some shady third fourth worldian CDkey site. I'm pretty sure not a single dime went to Bethesda.

Capitalism works in mysterious ways.

I'm pretty sure most of the money goes to Bethesda. The reason is simple: cdkey is front-end for some retailers ... they have the connections to buy game copies in bulk directly from publishers.

Bethesda doesn't gain 60% of 59 Euro from Steam (~35 Euro) but they get 90% from 30 Euro on Cdkeys (~27 Euro). Now you get it?

No site is sustainable with stolen cs keys. Bethesda is bypassing Steam, they sell a lot of copies very fast, retailer take their small cut and the gamers buy cheaper games.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I understand it's a console game made for consoles. But it was made for current gen (ps4) correct? So why graphics of this game is on par with the first Dishonored?!!
What? The visuals of Prey absolutely blow the original Dishonored out of the water. If you're seeing something else, you're either blind or something is up with your rig. Also, I know that this varies greatly depending on people's setups and people have different experiences, but for me, the game seemed extremely well-optimized, and performed extremely well on the highest settings.

The only significant slowdowns I got was (strangely) in the huge reactor room.

And as far as console games go, for once, I don't think I have anything to really complain about. The controls and the UI aren't just solid; I don't think I ever had the feeling that something was shit because the game was made for a controller. Only annoyance is that I never found a way to customize the radial menu, which I used pretty much exclusively over hot-keys.
Already cracked and still not worth pirating.
But at least it let good goys on Codex prove how supportive of bethesda they really are.
Bethesda may own them, but Arkane did a good job. That's hardly our fault.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Here’s the top 20 best-selling games through retail stores in the UK for the week ending May 13, 2017, according to GfK Chart-Track:

1. Prey (down 32%)
  2. Grand Theft Auto V
  3. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (down 60%)
  4. FIFA 17
  5. Rocket League
  6. LEGO Worlds
  7. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
  8. Ghost Recon Wildlands
  9. Horizon Zero Dawn
  10. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Finished the game. It is quite gud and easily the best Looking Glass style game out of the post 2005 crop. Compared to SS2, it's less survival horror focused on resource management, and more about open-ended exploration of an interconnected world. RPG elements and atmosphere are weaker than SS2, but level-design is as good or better, and the space station in Prey is a much better realized and believable setting overall. Combat and enemy design is better in Prey as well, though that's a necessity given that it abandons the survival horror elements and has no excuse left to be a clunky wrench-melee game. Both games are well-written and make excellent use of audiologs, and while Prey lacks the memorable antagonists of SS2, it does a better job of fleshing out its side characters. There's no Shodan-reveal twist in Prey surprisingly - there's one after the credits, but it's more like a bit of cute meta-commentary rather than anything substantial.

Where Prey definitely drops the ball is the audio - music is often ill-fitting, scary sounds play for no apparent reason, and the mixing is incredibly bad for such a high-budget game. Volume levels of dialogue and sound effects don't reflect the source's distance from the player at all, and it's impossible to track enemies based on sound alone.

Overall though, I'd say it's worth playing, has some annoying signs of consolization, but also a lot of nice attention to detail and it actually improves upon SS2 in various ways, much unlike Bioshock which was straight up dumbing down with a nice coat of paint on top. Maybe I'll write a more detailed comparison later if I find the time.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Why is every game where Mick Gordon is involved have terrible sound mixing when it needs positional sound design the most?

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I think the soundtrack is great; the problem is that the music and ambience varies wildly and abruptly starts/stop at many places, with great variance in volume. The crossover from one tune to the next is usually anything but smooth, and you can go from moody to blaring in an instant.

The issue isn't the soundtrack itself or that it doesn't fit the game, but the way it's been incorporated into the game. I think that Prey is overall very well-polished, but this is something someone really dropped the ball on.

Love the soundtrack, but transitions need to be smoother and when transitions happen need to be reviewed.

darthaegis

Cipher

This one has some sort of early prototype footage with an assault rifle in the background, at around 1:13

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Conclusion:
Prey is somewhat derivative but it hits so many good points that it's hard not to like the game. As I said at the beginning, this is probably the first not-retarded successor to SS2.
And as SS2 this is not for everyone therefore I cannot recommend it on full price. But this should be on your radar if you liked SS2.

Free advice: Side-quests first.

WTF? You wouldn't recommend SS2 at full price?

The soundtrack is not bad in isolation, but it doesn't fit the game very well imo.

So Prey truly is a spiritual successor to SS2, after all...

:fight:

ShadowSpectre

Arbiter
So for those who have finished the game: how long did the game take you to play through the first time and what is your play style?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Conclusion:
Prey is somewhat derivative but it hits so many good points that it's hard not to like the game. As I said at the beginning, this is probably the first not-retarded successor to SS2.
And as SS2 this is not for everyone therefore I cannot recommend it on full price. But this should be on your radar if you liked SS2.

Free advice: Side-quests first.

WTF? You wouldn't recommend SS2 at full price?

I did not say that :) Prey is not SS2.

The game is good but not 59 Euro good.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
So for those who have finished the game: how long did the game take you to play through the first time and what is your play style?

If you rush then it will take around 20 hours. Do yourself a favor and go blind. Choose Nightmare difficulty and do all the side-quests.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom