Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Why Baldur's Gate 2 Is Better Than ToEE

• Thread starter a cut of domestic sheep prime
  • Start date

a cut of domestic sheep prime

so you are going to cast a high level spell, but you have to make sure you protect yourself against enemy casters and archers so no one can interrupt you while you are casting. and it would help if your fighters could run defense against enemy fighters. and have your archers target enemy spellcasters to interrupt them.

all of that gameplay is absent in ToEE

and it is reduced down to "keep mages away from enemies"

discuss. :M

Parabalus

Arcane
ToEE is fucking slow and the interface is garbage, unplayable without CE speed. BG2 is slick and smooth.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
All of that gameplay is absent in any TB game. Neither the player nor the AI can react in RT when there's no RT. At best you'll see some utterly predictable AoO.

RTwP is often criticized as clusterfuck and, to some extent, it's a valid statement, but then TB tends to be very static with little movement once the initial positioning is done. That's why so many people were disappointed with the melee engagement mechanic in PoE (especially with its original implementation which was very unforgiving) - it took away much of the mobility you could enjoy in the IE games.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
so you are going to cast a high level spell, but you have to make sure you protect yourself against enemy casters and archers so no one can interrupt you while you are casting. and it would help if your fighters could run defense against enemy fighters. and have your archers target enemy spellcasters to interrupt them.

and it is reduced down to "keep mages away from enemies"

discuss. :M

No thx, bye !

btbgfel

Scholar
I didn't play Gold Box games before, but I heard you can do all these in them. And they are phase based.

Edit: I remember in Knights of the Chalice enemies uses ready action more often than ToEE.

Last edited:

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Bugbears do it quite often. And all the crossbowmen, whether in the guard tower or in the moathouse, do it a lot. It may be Co8 related though, I haven't played vanilla in a long time.
That being said, the "interrupt enemy casting" was one thing that the RTwP system had going for it. One of the only tbh, I still find TB vastly superior when implementing D&D rules, partcularly 3.5 ones.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Vanilla ToEE had tragically crappy AI. Especially because the commands like ready vs spell were there, they were just barely used in the specific AI scripts. As noted Co8 (kudos to Livonya ) added it to many archers' scripts.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
All of that gameplay is absent in any TB game. Neither the player nor the AI can react in RT when there's no RT. At best you'll see some utterly predictable AoO.

RTwP is often criticized as clusterfuck and, to some extent, it's a valid statement, but then TB tends to be very static with little movement once the initial positioning is done. That's why so many people were disappointed with the melee engagement mechanic in PoE (especially with its original implementation which was very unforgiving) - it took away much of the mobility you could enjoy in the IE games.

It took away some of the movement, but you can and often should break engagement and eat that disengagement attack.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom