Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane PREY - Arkane's immersive coffee cup transformation sim - now with Mooncrash roguelike mode DLC

HansDampf

Arcane
So this is like a modern take on SS2, and it doesn't suck?
Onto teh wishlist. Tentatively.

Siel

Arcane
Patron
1494422016494.jpg

:smug:

flyingjohn

Arcane
Steam user final count will be 200k if it is lucky

lolno, the game came out a few days ago and it's at 150k now.

I wouldn't be surprised if it goes under 20 bucks for steam sale in less then a month.

It won't. Worse-selling games haven't.
Except you aren't looking at increments.
It started with 15k and then went steady 30k a day until it reached 120k and then the increments started dropping.
So lets's say a game has a steady increase of +20k steam owners a day on steamspy.
And when it hits 80k it starts going from 20k to 10 and then 5 and then it 1k per day and then starts dropping,this is how steamspy stabilizes the numbers.
The moment the numbers start dropping is the final number for the begging period of sales.(of course this doesn't mean the game will never go up,but this means it will now enter the up and down roller coaster of steam stats)
And you will always have large numbers at launch considering that is where most of the begging sales come from.(of course there are steam sales/discounts and maybe the game actually continues selling)
And even if it reaches 200k that will be considered a flop to the suits.
All they will see is sub 500k sales in a month and they will probably just can any future stuff.

As for the discount ,well didn't dishonored 2 have a discount in a steam sale?
And the game wasn't even out for a year.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dishonored 2 was on sale for $30 after being out five months.

I'm not saying the game is selling well but you're exaggerating it. An AAA game with a marketing machine behind it won't stabilize its numbers within days of release.

Ash

Arcane
Too early to call it a flop. It's obviously not a Skyrim, Battlefield/Cod or GTA success either, but sales may just hit green yet. They still may get my sale in the coming days too, even if jaded I'd prefer to support watered down Immersive Sims than Assassin's Creed 15 or much of the other absolute garbage pumped out these days.
In a sea of decline, may as well choose to support one of the least decline-inclined.

V_K

Arcane
Dishonored 2 on Steamcharts (which is usually more reliable than Steamspy) has a ~22k all-time peak players, while Prey already has 24,5k - I'd say it's doing fine.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Dishonored 2 on Steamcharts (which is usually more reliable than Steamspy) has a ~22k all-time peak players, while Prey already has 24,5k - I'd say it's doing fine.

Dishonored 2 launch sales were 38% of those for the first game, the launch was plagued with technical issues and there is no DLC planned for it. The game was on sale for 50% after 6 months. It might no be a flop but the game was not a success based on Bethesda's expectations.

Unfortunately Prey will follow the same pattern. The review embargo from Bethesda was really retarded. Then the demo debacle. Technical issues. Only good word of mouth marketing can save this game.

Edit: A patch is coming this week.

Jezal_k23

PC sales might be ok in the long run. Worried about console sales though, since I just can't see this game being appealing to console players.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
I would think that PREY doesn't need to sell an absurd amount of copies to be profitable.

500k sold copies in a month would be OK and maybe if they could get close to a million in 1 to 3 months that would be fantastic.

If the game is good, people will find it now or later. I believe Bethesda is one of the smarter publishers and they realize that.

Siel

Arcane
Patron
Ok so for thoses like me who didn't know how to stop military operators in Shuttle Bay, if you put imposant objects in front of their spawning station, they won't come out because of lack of space.

A horse of course

guys

guys

What if Prey is just... too DEEP for MAINSTREAM TASTES

Only truly enlightened individuals who enjoy intelligent, cerebral gaming experiences by the developers who brought us such legendary titles as Deus Ex: Invisible War, DishonoUred, and Blacksite: Area 51 will appreciate the true genius of space blob antagonists and Biochock audio logs TransCribe recordings.

Black

Arcane
AfPhTas.png

What if Prey is just... too DEEP for MAINSTREAM TASTES

Only truly enlightened individuals who enjoy intelligent, cerebral gaming experiences
Sounds like biocock infinite.

Siel

Arcane
Patron
Paste Magazine -- 6/10
The people and aliens who fill its space—and the reasons Morgan has for spending so much time picking through its confines—are retreads of ideas and conventions visited many other times before. As much as its opening objective prompt promises, Prey doesn't represent change. It's just more of what what's been done before.

VideoGamer -- 8/10

+ GLOO Cannon's multi-purpose use
+ Ability to approach situations in different ways
+ Sense of dread never subsides
- Cookie cutter main story

Time -- 3.5/5
If you're in the mood for a corridor crawl modeled after the Dishonored series' "one problem, multiple solutions" approach, Prey has plenty to offer. Its pedigree is clear, an homage to design DNA you can trace back to Looking Glass Studios 1990s "Thief" and "Shock" games. There's no shame in iteration, and Prey does nothing worse than its precursors. The only question, given how familiar most of its ideas feel in 2017, is whether homage is enough.

Wired
Prey doesn’t understand itself, and it obliviously gets in its own way. It’s ultimately too broad and too undefined to achieve its own grand ambitions. Instead of proudly stating its own identity, Prey feels adrift, the way I was during that one sublime moment in space. Unmoored of itself, it asks questions that are worth pondering but doesn’t have any answers. Absent of those rejoinders, it loses its own shape, getting stuck in patterns it can’t break out of, drifting further and further away from land until the credits roll.

V_K

Arcane
Prey doesn’t understand itself, and it obliviously gets in its own way. It’s ultimately too broad and too undefined to achieve its own grand ambitions. Instead of proudly stating its own identity, Prey feels adrift, the way I was during that one sublime moment in space. Unmoored of itself, it asks questions that are worth pondering but doesn’t have any answers. Absent of those rejoinders, it loses its own shape, getting stuck in patterns it can’t break out of, drifting further and further away from land until the credits roll.
:0-13:

Siel

Arcane
Patron
:0-13:

Sounds like some Nolan synopsis.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I think disappointing sales have more to do with how unmarketable the game seems to be. Even through osmosis and ads I still don't have a firm grasp on the gameplay, and when I look deeper into it, I don't think there's any real game-carrying gimmicks.
If I were to generalize Prey based on its gameplay based on nothing but some trailer footage, I'd sum it up as 'well you're stuck on this abandoned ships and you gotta kill some aliens with weapons and special alien abilities, the story is kinda trippy, aliens can turn into objects and you can turn yourself into a coffee cup and hack turrets'. Doesn't sound that appealing, does it? Of course there appears to be more to the game, but item recycling, the GLOO gun and suit modding aren't really marketing abilities and would appear like a 'neat little thing' to the average observer.

Then take Bioshock, for example. It's main draw is these Big Daddies and the Little Sister, whose abnormal appearance and names is already bound to pique everyone's interest. You can save or kill little girls! You can set traps around Big Daddies! Not only are they the main draw of the game and play a large part in the gameplay, but they are featured on the cover as well. Then look at Dishonored. You're a supernatural assassin who can possess humans and animals, stop time, summon rats, and teleport around on a quest for vengeance. Already sounds more interesting than the tired trope of being a lone survivor with magic powers on an alien-infested space station, doesn't it?

Point being, a large part that plays into successful games being successful is presenting your innovations on a surface level. Random McJoe should get an idea of what the main draw is behind the game and how such a concept could be potentially used in a game. It's why games like Ikaruga, where the polarity-switching mechanic and having to dodge two kind of bullets is a genius innovation to the shmup genre for reasons obvious to everyone who isn't even all that into shmups as it received widespread praise from players and journos who normally don't even bother with shmups, whereas games like Battle Garegga and its rank system and scoring possibilities falls deaf on everyone's ears who doesn't even care about such shit to begin with as they cannot imagine the possibilities such depth can offer to a game when they don't really have a lot of experience with the genre. It doesn't matter how mechanically deep your game is sales-wise if someone can't grasp how the game could play out on first glance. Based on what I saw and read, Prey seems to be that kind of game with so much shit in it and tools to get around the levels that it's hard to even put it in words until you play it yourself. There's probably a ton of these little things which while insignificant on their own, really come together as a whole, as that's one of the main design focuses of an immersive sim: a simulation of the world presenting gameplay opportunities on its own. Though the demo didn't appear to deliver the best impressions of the game, what with being console-exclusive and all for some reason (even though SS2 fans are most likely to be PC players).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I feel like Bethesda's mistake re: Arkane is that they don't draw enough of an informative contrast between Arkane's games and their own RPGs.

I mean, they're both sort of similar, right? First person, immersive, RPGish type games. But Bethesda's games are broad and shallow, while Arkane's games are narrow and deeper. That's a selling point. There must be a segment of the Skyrim audience that's looking for something like that. "So it's like Skyrim and Fallout, but with a tighter story and cooler levels? Do want."

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
http://steamcommunity.com/games/480490/announcements/detail/1296319532120777013

The Steam beta update v0.5 includes:
  • Fix to prevent Save games from becoming corrupted. Fix also returns corrupted Save games to uncorrupted state.
    ----->Also addresses some additional crashes on map loads.
  • Hacking during the Power Plant reboot no longer causes the reboot to fail to complete.
  • Fix to prevent the Player from becoming stuck in certain circumstances.
  • Nightmares will now always search for the player once spawned.
  • Saving and Loading PC settings will now save correctly for users with special characters in their Windows usernames.
  • Numerous fixes to GLOO to prevent breaking and bypassing collision, prevent corpses from passing through walls and floors.
  • Updated Recycling to prevent infinite material creation.
  • Fix for occasional combat freeze when attacking Phantoms
  • Kaspar’s objective indicator should no longer disappear.
  • Updates to audio mix to adjust volume of music, audio logs, cutscenes.
Note - The public-beta-patch branch shares the same game Saves as the default branch. If a previously corrupted Save is fixed by switching to the public-beta-patch branch, switching back to the default branch will reintroduce the chance of corruption (this issue to be fixed in a future patch). If a Save file has been previously edited manually, it may not function properly.
Deletion of level.dat files may cause game progression to not function properly.

duke nukem

Augur
Ok, ending. Wow...it makes even mass effect 3 ending look amazing. At least there was 3 different colored explosions and letting harvest was very different from the other endings and also they told us what happened to races.
Here in Prey we can basically make choice between two different kind of explosion and escape. Still the outcome of the ending is completely same no matter what you pick, earth will face same consequence and only thing that chances is one different dialog line per choice.

Late game started to bug. Ammo disappearing from the inventory(happened only on gloo gun and stun gun), save bug that prevented saving until traveling another area.

Now i am trying to play hardest difficulty and its still very easy. Already have over 100 shotgun ammo, over 300 pistol ammo, plenty of med kits. And i am only at psychotronics area. Maxed neuromod license so i cant build more anymore until the quest.

Lift is completely useless as you can just throw recycle grenade at those boxes. One point to hacking is ok, its cheap. Usually there is just shitty loot behind the keypads or you can use another route or toy gun to get those places, so no point picking it up at least in the beginning. Late it is ok, as you can hack robots as your friends. Good cannon fodder.

Best skills at the beginning and late game are plain simple damage skills and upgrades. Enemies will drop so quickly so they cant damage you and you save ammo. With combat focus skill you can save even more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom