Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Denuvo DRM Thread

Dexter

Arcane
Denuvo might be out of business pretty soon as developers keep not paying because of their guarantees.
Tbh, they just need the 2-3 weeks after Launch to make it profitable, so if they don't lessen the period to days or hours, it'll likely pay in the end.

pippin

I'd say they just need one week or even just one weekend. Things move faster these days. Consider how nobody really talks about Andromeda anymore.

I think they're fine, it's a long way from the old days of pre'd releases 2 weeks in advance.

I'd think most of the money these big budget games make is during the first week, after that it's all gravy.

GrainWetski

Arcane
On PC that's only true for the absolute biggest AAA games(and even then, it's mostly the MP focused ones), though. Everything else is about long term sales and even random "indie" trash are using Denuvo.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I'd say they just need one week or even just one weekend. Things move faster these days. Consider how nobody really talks about Andromeda anymore.
On case of Prospermeda Bioware discovered the best anti copy protection that exist by just making a game nobody wanna play. I really think, most AAA gaming companies are realizing this is the best way to go to end piracy as they all are making games that nobody wanna play these days. It must be an industry wide agreement.

Severian Silk

On case of Prospermeda Bioware discovered the best anti copy protection that exist by just making a game nobody wanna play. I really think, most AAA gaming companies are realizing this is the best way to go to end piracy as they all are making games that nobody wanna play these days. It must be an industry wide agreement.
Or be like Cleve and just don't release the game ever.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah Syberia 3 uses Denuvo. it wasn't as overblown as other game, maybe because the game audience is small. The game has been cracked though. It seems like Denuvo do not works well with game in Unity because you 1) need to put the system in the .dll 2) you can't put out too much trigger, otherwise slowing down an already slow engine

Dishonored 2 is still shitly optimized even today. Maybe they are waiting for the very definite final patch before cracking.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Nier and SGW 3 were cracked by amateur.

Not entirely correct. AFAIK the "crack" is a bypass instead of a true crack. It is pretty similar to the first versions of Dragon Age Inquisition crack by 3DM.

Basically, instead of removing the Denuvo triggers in the .exe, what this amateur do is recording and simulating the "call and answer" that triggered in Denuvo system on a legit bought game. By using this simulation you will be able to fool Denuvo into thinking that the game you are running is from legit copy.

The weakness of this method is that the "call and answer" things a.k.a how your machine respond to Denuvo triggers are a bit different depending on hardware (once again, AFAIK, its mainly about your processor). That is why the early DAI crack was such a fuck up. 3DM needs to properly record trigger for each different processors.

Now, regarding the bypass to both this game, it seems that there is some loophole that makes the bypass method easier on the latest version of Denuvo. Some people in Russian scene even says that like how steam_api.dll works, there are ways to make a surefire crack for Denuvo, provided the game is using the current version of Denuvo.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Doesn't matter if it's bypass or not. The important thing is what would happen when Denuvo servers would be down, and person would like to play old game on new CPU. Would all Denuvo loaded games be unusable even for legal users? Honest developers removed DRM in late patch few years after release. Or before theirs company get merged or went down.

Do you remember how network cards allow change MAC number and why? Looks like when laws will not block exposing CPU identification numbers, we would need to force Intel and AMD to allow forge CPU and other HW id numbers to ensure compatibility. PC was basically free from all that, when user can edit RAM and install whatever he wants. Denuvo is introducing behavior similar to not rooted cell phone. You paid for it, take that and shut up.

Anyway Nier looks like this on legal versions.
BVlzDIt.png

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
taxalot There is 35 page long thread on Steam forums, about that. It's particularly juicy because a lot of people were banned recently for saying legal customers were treated like a shit.

I'm uh, testing NieR Automata and played the first two hours without issue. However, the game started crashing unpredictably after that, soon after starting - it might have taken a minute or 10, but it would always crash (I was around the desert area by then).

Setting process affinity for the executable on my CPU (i5 3570K) for 2 cores only seems to have fixed it. So, the theory of hw calls/answers being emulated through a lookup table or similar seems pretty well founded. Now it remains to be seen whether Squeenix will follow the trend of other developers removing Denuvo from NieR after it's been cracked, or if they simply don't consider this a proper crack at all.

Black

Arcane
"Very personal experience told through both sight and sound".
Wow, imagine that, video AND audio.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom