Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yes, I know he technically has one, but he doesn't post here. He, instead, opts to post on tumblr of all places. Which is blasphemy to the highest degree.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
maybe because we almost literally raise pitchfork and torches and napalm bombs everytime the name sawyer is posted circa 2015?

I consider this a positive thing, so If I were Sawyer I'd jump at the opportunity. Surrounding yourself with sycophants, like the nests of them tumblr and SA are, isn't the most ideal situation for basically anyone in any endeavor ever. He also has enough experience to filter bad criticism from good one, so I don't see a downside. Although he might read our threads, who knows. If that is the case, him not posting here is even weirder.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
considering they already blew their load with the reveal about them being mortal made

Maybe we will get to make our own god:

ra4MqPs.png

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
More deets

A per-rest resource that can be expended once per-encounter. Elaborate!

Sannom

Augur
A per-rest resource that can be expended once per-encounter. Elaborate!
I don't think the workings of it needs explaining, however I would be very interested in knowing why they would put in such a limitation.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Yeah, that sounds cool. If the berzerker starts attacking your peeps you can "banish" him with that priest spell I forgot the name of. Of course that removes him from the battlefield. High risk/High reward basically (if you want it to be like that), which is fine by me.

Sannom

Augur
I think the idea here is that "Confused" doesn't work at it did in PoE, people affected don't start randomly attacking everyone on the battlefield, rather they take a malus to their Intellect and all AoE abilities affect everyone, not just friends/enemies. I don't see it affecting offensive abilities and spells very much, but it could make buffing a bitch.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Yeah, now that you mention it I think his wording suggests that, too. Kinda weird tbh, you just have to be more careful with AoE spells and such.

Tigranes

Arcane
Ugh, it might be more consistent mechanically, but that's another case where a distinctive effect with enjoyable gameplay consequences is replaced by a less noticeable clusterfuck.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Ugh, it might be more consistent mechanically, but that's another case where a distinctive effect with enjoyable gameplay consequences is replaced by a less noticeable clusterfuck.

I really disagree, I always found confused affliction to be a useless version of charm and dominated. This version sounds a lot more distinctive (Is there anything like it in any game?) and it will change the way you will play.

Lacrymas

Arcane
It basically makes everyone attackable. While it is unique, I don't see much potential. Would the AI attack its own peeps? You'd have to be blind to attack your companions while you are confused. I suppose it has interesting synergy with Carnage because it's an AoE ability you can't control, but anything else?

FreeKaner

It basically makes everyone attackable. While it is unique, I don't see much potential. Would the AI attack its own peeps? You'd have to be blind to attack your companions while you are confused. I suppose it has interesting synergy with Carnage because it's an AoE ability you can't control, but anything else?

It creates opposite of "friendly-fire" for buff and heal spells which previously had no restriction. It could effectively make it impossible to heal or buff your allies without doing the same for enemies. I especially like that aspect because I found priest to be a little braindead for most part, at least one more thing to pay attention exists now. Morever I am guessing this would also make the yellow-red area of effect for friendly fire irrelevant as well and make using aoe spells harder in general. For Barbarian itself carnage and aoe-debuffs will be the main problem I am assuming.

Lacrymas

Arcane
It creates opposite of "friendly-fire" for buff and heal spells which previously had no restriction. It could effectively make it impossible to heal or buff your allies without doing the same for enemies. I especially like that aspect because I found priest to be a little braindead for most part, at least one more thing to pay attention exists now. Morever I am guessing this would also make the yellow-red area of effect for friendly fire irrelevant as well and make using aoe spells harder in general. For Barbarian itself carnage and aoe-debuffs will be the main problem I am assuming.

Yeah, Healing will be more interesting. There's also the passive of the Moon godlikes, maybe they won't be the best choice for like 90% of the builds anymore. Even my very first character was a Moon godlike because their racial sounds amazing even on paper and without any prior knowledge of the game's systems and stats. I picked the right choice.

Prime Junta

Would the AI attack its own peeps?

Why wouldn't it? I'd expect your toons do too if you have AI set, as they likely use variants of the same targeting algorithm.

I.e. if you get hit with an AoE Confuse attack I'd expect you'll have to scramble to stop your characters from going after whatever they think is the juiciest target, including friendlies. (Unless you have AI switched off ofc, in which case yeah it will only affect AoEs.)

Tigranes

Arcane

I really disagree, I always found confused affliction to be a useless version of charm and dominated. This version sounds a lot more distinctive (Is there anything like it in any game?) and it will change the way you will play.

Interesting that you'd never liked the original confused. I always liked the uncertainty - so that you'd confuse an enemy and hope it does something useful for you, or you'd get your own guy confused, but maybe you won't Otiluke him yet, you'd hope he just stays out of the way then oh god he walks into a firestrike trap.

I think mechanically the new confuse is also cool, I just fear that given the poor communication of various effects either via UI or VFX, it's going to be really hard to tell. And as someone who micro's the party, presumably it also becomes a much less harmful effect for many members of my party.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I've been clamoring for a better battlefield UI since the kickstarter was announced. Everything has to be clear, especially since there are many more things happening and you have to be doing simultaneously in PoE than in the IE games.

Sizzle

Arcane
Any news on chanters in PoE?

Nothing new for now. In an earlier Tumblr post, he said they will work more or less like they did in PoE1, and he still hasn't given any info on Chanter subclasses.

The Aumauan Godlike NPC will be a Chanter/Druid.

The Bishop

Cipher
I don't know, I found wizard's spell "Confusion" to be one of the strongest spells in the game, one that can turn a difficult engagement into a trivial one if used correctly. Stronger mind control effects come with drawbacks like short range, only working on single target, long casting times etc.

I don't know about distinctiveness though. The main aspect that makes it effective is just enemies wasting time fighting each other, giving you ample time to apply buffs or focus important targets. Enemy AI will target confused friendlies even if they're just standing around doing nothing, so randomness of the effect is of no importance most of the time.

FreeKaner

I feel like chanters need a buff. They're fine off-tanks but they're awful choices for main PCs. I love bards so much its a problem but I've never kept a chanter protag. Working on a priest playthrough atm.

I don't think they are weak per se but they are awfully dull to play, you cast one or perhaps two invocations per combat and it's mostly just auras. I feel like there should be weaker invocations that require less chants. Also while the mechanic of stronger phrases being longer and weaker ones being shorter creates the interesting dynamic of "strong chants / less invocations", "weaker chants / more invocations", I feel like that further exacerbates the problem of chanters doing nothing whole combat. They are good gunners though because of that but oh well.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Chanter stacking is grotesquely OP though. Their high level invocations take too long to build up. I understand what they were going for, but they are simply too long.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom