Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Beamdog's Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition

Gunnar

Arbiter
No. There isn't supposed to be a combat log, that's not the focus of the game. Putting one in detracts from the story oriented design of Planescape and makes it easier than intended. It would be like removing the combat log from a combat oriented game.

The combat log only takes the unreadable globs of floaty text from the playing field and puts them in a neat lil' log. IOW, PS:T already had a combat log but it was plastered all over the screen. It's what the original devs should have done, but didn't. .

It was meant to give you a quick idea of the damage being thrown around without putting too much focus on the mechanics. The developers knew what they were doing better than some retarded Beamdog shills.

Delterius

Arcane
No. There isn't supposed to be a combat log, that's not the focus of the game. Putting one in detracts from the story oriented design of Planescape and makes it easier than intended. It would be like removing the combat log from a combat oriented game.

The combat log only takes the unreadable globs of floaty text from the playing field and puts them in a neat lil' log. IOW, PS:T already had a combat log but it was plastered all over the screen. It's what the original devs should have done, but didn't. .

It was meant to give you a quick idea of the damage being thrown around without putting too much focus on the mechanics. The developers knew what they were doing better than some retarded Beamdog shills.
Where's your God now you pathetic newfag?

He also stated that he would make a few changes to the game's design if it was being developed now, most of which related to the game's combat. Saying he'd throw more combat into the beginning of the game, Avellone explained, "The beginning is very slow and exposition-heavy, and I don't think that helps get the player into the mystery of his character. This is something I tried to correct in future opening levels of Black Isle games (notably Icewind Dale 2, where you're in trouble the moment you step off the boat in Targos). Also, I would work more extensively in creating more dungeon and exploration areas, and do another pass on the combat mechanics in the game - the story and quest structure in the game ended up becoming the primary focus of design, and I think the game suffered as a whole when it came to combat."

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.68422-Chris-Avellone-Talks-Planescape-Torment

Parabalus

Arcane

You need to have a chat with Goral on how to shill better, the shit you are spewing is insane. He's at least entertaining, you are just retarded.

Gunnar

Arbiter
It's a pointless and unneeded addition. Combat is not the focus of the game and is easy enough already.

PS:T has combat. Might as well have a proper combat log instead of just floaty text.

Actually there's a lot of combat in PS:T. Almost like its a part of the story.

The mere presence of combat does not make it a combat focused game, similarly, the mere presence of a story in Icewind Dale doesn't make that a story oriented game. Are any beamdog shills going to come up with an argument in this thread that isn't completely stupid?
Actually there's a lot of combat in PS:T. Almost like its a part of the story.

Almost like its a part of the story.

He also stated that he would make a few changes to the game's design if it was being developed now, most of which related to the game's combat. Saying he'd throw more combat into the beginning of the game, Avellone explained, "The beginning is very slow and exposition-heavy, and I don't think that helps get the player into the mystery of his character. This is something I tried to correct in future opening levels of Black Isle games (notably Icewind Dale 2, where you're in trouble the moment you step off the boat in Targos). Also, I would work more extensively in creating more dungeon and exploration areas, and do another pass on the combat mechanics in the game - the story and quest structure in the game ended up becoming the primary focus of design, and I think the game suffered as a whole when it came to combat."

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.68422-Chris-Avellone-Talks-Planescape-Torment

So if the game had been completely reworked to put more of a focus on combat, a combat log would have been an intelligent addition. I agree. What an idiotic argument.

Gunnar

Arbiter

You need to have a chat with Goral on how to shill better, the shit you are spewing is insane. He's at least entertaining, you are just retarded.

Nice arguments, go back to downrating everything you don't like instead of speaking up, it just makes you look more stupid than you already do.

FeelTheRads

Arcane

Except you don't have to agree with everything MCA says. The man has been with Obsidian for how many years now? He was surely touched by the decline.

Gunnar

Arbiter
Well, I guess that's it, just a few retarded non-arguments for the presence of a combat log and a bunch of ironic downratings, shouldn't have expected more from Beamdog supporters I suppose.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
It's a pointless and unneeded addition. Combat is not the focus of the game and is easy enough already.

PS:T has combat. Might as well have a proper combat log instead of just floaty text.

:retarded:

There's so much legit criticism you could throw at Beamdog for their business practices, fanfiction tier characters etc., yet you insist on going full retard and grasping such desperate straws. Are you mentally impaired or just so blinded by (anti-)fanboy rage that your brain has stopped working?

Gunnar

Arbiter

There's so much legit criticism you could throw at Beamdog for their business practices, fanfiction tier characters etc., yet you insist on going full retard and grasping such desperate straws. Are you mentally impaired or just so blinded by (anti-)fanboy rage that your brain has stopped working?

I'm talking about the combat log specifically because someone brought it up, maybe try reading the thread? Idiot.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I'm talking about the combat log specifically because someone brought it up

What does that matter? You're still arguing that it makes the game worse and "It would be like removing the combat log from a combat oriented game.", which is retarded.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
lmao at the damage control of modded fags.

Face it: you had your chance to buy the game, you SHOULD have bought the game if it was so important to you. Beamdog did literally nothing wrong, as you can still get the original game if you want. It's more expensive because guess what: between the vanilla game and the Enhanced Edition, which one do you think people are going to buy? Hence they (GOG, or whoever it is) sell both at the same time so that they can get money for the original version as well, since few people would bother buying it.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I haven't seen so much butthurt since Bethesda announced Fallout 3 as an FPS. This topic delivers.
Not only this topic:

L91DR1R.png
I bet that if they could they would send a hitman after me try to sue me to silence me because of this: https://af.gog.com/mix/beamdog_is_the_parasite_of_the_industry?as=1649904300

So are Goral and Gunnar the new manifestation of Celerity? :hmmm:
lol
Celerity could be compared maybe to Darth Roxor who played PoE quite extensively only to write a review "it's shit", I would have done it (i.e. write "it's shit") without wasting my time but DR wanted to be a professional. I'm writing maybe because DR is much more intelligent than Celerity so this analogy is also flawed (although not as much as yours).
If you want to compare me with someone I suggest you check out Fallout 3 threads when we've been learning about Bethesda's retarded decisions and them having no respect to Black Isle/Interplay :].

Edit:
This is getting better and better:
https://af.gog.com/forum/baldurs_ga...hip_in_the_beamdog_forum/post15?as=1649904300

Stig79 said:
Yeah I saw stuff like that happening. One fellow got banned for "racist remarks" or something like that. He never said anything remotely racist, though. He was complaining about Viconia being in SoD was a plot-hole, because of the timeline.

Someone claimed he just said that because Viconia is black, and off it went. People were all over him and the mods let it happen. He got banned for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

pippin

lmao at the damage control of modded fags.

Face it: you had your chance to buy the game, you SHOULD have bought the game if it was so important to you. Beamdog did literally nothing wrong, as you can still get the original game if you want. It's more expensive because guess what: between the vanilla game and the Enhanced Edition, which one do you think people are going to buy? Hence they (GOG, or whoever it is) sell both at the same time so that they can get money for the original version as well, since few people would bother buying it.

Beamdog did everything that could be wrong in this kind of situation, actually. Even in the best case scenario, their piece of shit enhanced editions are comparable to the paid mods fiasco, with the difference being that all the money goes to Beamdog, a company which had nothing to do with the original games at all. It's in the same kind of moral bankruptcy as the Beyond Watchmen case. A big company gets their little azn sweatshop workers to work in a half assed attempt at keeping their licences to themselves instead of negotiating it directly with the original people involved in this. Has anyone asked Guido Henkel if he was contacted about this, for instance? It's just a trick pulled by idiots who know their own worth is meauserd in exploting the achievements of others. It is true that they first got rid of Gamersgate's DND compilation, actually, but they later got rid of the original versions as well. Since those are not CDPR games I doubt it was their move to rape history and delete the originals from normal digital distribution, and Wizards has always been a shit company. I'm actually quite sure some lawyer could make the removal of the originals to be something illegal, but who knows. The kind of answer which supports Wizards and Beamdog's shitty actions is what probably irks me the most in this scenario, since they do read like answers of people who has never been in charge of anything they believe to be of relevance.

At least Bethesda did not remove the Interplay and Black Isle logos from the original Fallout games. For fuck's sake, Bethesda is better than Bioware, Wizards and Beamdog now?

Celerity

Takes 1337 hours to realise it's shit.
Village Idiot Possibly Retarded
Darth Roxor is a casual who gets rekt by easy shit like Cursed Hounds because he tries whatever mindless tactic he finds first and if it works he gets bored and calls the game shit and if it doesn't work he ragequits and calls the game shit.

I'd commi9t seppuku if I were ever that big of a casual retarded faggot.

Anyways, Beamdog is still going full retard? They must not like selling games.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

It must be embarrassing for you.
Quite honestly, you are more embarrassing for the community as a whole than for a single poster within.

I don't even care about PS:T much, but the nonsense you spout has reached levels I have rarely seen. And I do occasionally visit GD.
Just as I have rarely seen so many people here to agree on who's being the retard in a discussion.

It amuses me. Please go on.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom