Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: Torment: Tides of Numenera

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Don't give up - Curst has an incredible wrap up.

If you already got Vhailor set him and Dak'kon to hold off the mobs and have Nordom, FFG and/or you if you are a mage storm them to shreds. Have Annah hit and run at them with her hilariously powerful criticals and you're set. If you're a fighter then the ranged guys are even safer.
As I said, I'm worried hit and running is not possible since monsters also run unlike the unmodded game. Also I'm totally not going to dump Morte for Vhalior. I think there was a route to unmake Vhalior though so that's probably what I'm going to do.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik

If you already got Vhailor set him and Dak'kon to hold off the mobs and have Nordom, FFG and/or you if you are a mage storm them to shreds. Have Annah hit and run at them with her hilariously powerful criticals and you're set. If you're a fighter then the ranged guys are even safer.

kipar - is that you by any chance?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Reaching for Tome of Cheats to boost CON and only that make game 5x more enjoyable. Believe me.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You get so much WIS free that there's no real reason not to have a lot of CON. Regen makes all the trash combat less of a hassle.
Not really. It's good to start with 18 WIS and get 18 INT at least as soon as you get to Mebbeth so that you can upgrade Dakkon. Other than that 16 CHA is good to have and then if you really want to fight, STR is probably better than CON.

Reaching for Tome of Cheats to boost CON and only that make game 5x more enjoyable. Believe me.
I've been there those 18 years ago. I loose interest when I cheat.

Last edited:

rohand

Cipher

kipar - is that you by any chance?

What is a "kipar"?

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
RPG Watch's review of ToN

Pros
  • A Spiritual Successor to PS:T
  • Great Atmosphere and Setting
  • Tons of varied and interesting quests
  • Heaps to explore and discover
  • Well written and dialogue based
Cons
  • Relatively short (about 30 hours)
  • Walls of text for those who don't like that
  • Limited combat opportunities
  • Character interactions are lacking
  • Steep learning curve for some
LeL
The Watch. Like the little bro in which you have hope somehow though he always lets you down. How does it feel, Prime Junta?

Black Angel

Arcane
In the meantime in my xxth playthrough of Planescape: Torment I've gone to Curst and the look of this city makes me want to stop. I'll endure though, and in enduring grow stronger. Mobs won't be so horrible this time, with a Fighter TNO...

I'm on the first playthrough and i had to drop the game at Curst. :negative:
Me too. But only because I've spoiled that playthrough by following a walkthrough so thoroughly, by the time I've realized what I've done I've already arrived to that tunnel beneath Curst (or was it the town after that? Can't remember. Aha! :dealwithit:)

Luckily, just recently I tried making a new character and I'm now officially forgotten everything because, now that I pay attention to Morte, his dialogue is so damn good :incline:

kolton

Novice
RPG Watch's review of ToN

Pros
  • A Spiritual Successor to PS:T
  • Great Atmosphere and Setting
  • Tons of varied and interesting quests
  • Heaps to explore and discover
  • Well written and dialogue based
Cons
  • Relatively short (about 30 hours)
  • Walls of text for those who don't like that
  • Limited combat opportunities
  • Character interactions are lacking
  • Steep learning curve for some
LeL

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Other than that 16 CHA is good to have

I played so fucking focused and systematic as I could in my best years, played literally a week or maybe 5 days 12 hours each day, and still coudn't find all.
How often CHA needed, and does it allow to find inetersting things?

What is a "kipar"?
I thought you was one Russian buddy wwho used this pic always.

Prime Junta

How often CHA needed, and does it allow to find inetersting things?

Not as often as WIS or INT but yeah, it is used. You'll get dialogue options you wouldn't see otherwise. AFAIK it won't impact the main story nor the outcomes of the companion quests like WIS or INT. IIRC it's kinda important if you want to play as a chaotic character because lying is chaotic and lying requires charisma. It's nice to have but not essential.

t

Arcane
Patron
CHA 16 gives you huge rewards from Ravel (+1 INT +3 WIS in total), give you an upgrade to Nordom and a certain very good path at Vhalior I think. Before, it gives you access to Silent King without killing rampage. Some other stuff also i guess.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
But the Friends spell (which stacks) boosts your charisma, so you have no need for a natural charisma of 16 (or anything else) for any of those encounters, right?

Prime Junta

But the Friends spell (which stacks) boosts your charisma, so you have no need for a natural charisma of 16 (or anything else) for any of those encounters, right?

Right. But using Friends strategically is a bit meta IMO. You're unlikely to do it right blind as you can't cast it in dialogue.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Versus planning in advance how much charsima to get based on those encounters being non-meta? :D

When I played back in the day I didn't realize the Friends spell's practical effect, but in hindsight wouldn't it be rational to cast it before every major NPC dialogue? It's a level 1 spell, so you can have tons of it.

Prime Junta

Versus planning in advance how much charsima to get based on those encounters being non-meta? :D

When I played back in the day I didn't realize the Friends spell's practical effect, but in hindsight wouldn't it be rational to cast it before every major NPC dialogue? It's a level 1 spell, so you can have tons of it.

Versus knowing that 16 CHA is a good thing to have without knowing what for, and targeting that.

I always recommend first-time PS:T players to spoil themselves with the starting stat distribution and nothing else, because having a suboptimal stat distribution will just give you an overall worse experience, not a different one. That's not the same at all as knowing "haha, about to talk to Ravel, better cast Friends."

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Before, it gives you access to Silent King without killing rampage.
What do you mean? I'm sure there is peaceful way besides CHA.
I didn't killed anyone there (actually I did for challenge sake like every location there).

Right. But using Friends strategically is a bit meta IMO. You're unlikely to do it right blind as you can't cast it in dialogue.
I was so meticulous I did it, but since reward/difference for CHA is somewhar rare, I stop to do that some time after.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Also question - at which point in game 25 WIS can give you something interesting?
I mean - is it useful in quests/conversation before Fortress of Regret?

Because I always started with 18/18 in WIS and INT, and later didn't tried to rise it, I thought that at late-game I'll give those 7 points from quests etc.
So I could miss something if 25 WIS useful earlier than FoR.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Before, it gives you access to Silent King without killing rampage.
What do you mean? I'm sure there is peaceful way besides CHA.
I didn't killed anyone there (actually I did for challenge sake like every location there).
IIRC, you don't actually get to "meet" the Silent King down the other peaceful route(s).

Also, WIS increases your XP rate, which in turn increases your stat growth rate, so it's generally worthwhile, I think.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Also, WIS increases your XP rate, which in turn increases your stat growth rate, so it's generally worthwhile, I think.
I know, but when I think about all these wasted gifts from O or Ravel...
My munchkin inside literally cries...

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
It's silly because the only stats that really connect to the core narrative are INT/WIS/CHA and you'll have maxed them all by endgame whether you waste the gifts or not. And many of your other stats can get maxes with the Bronze Sphere, though it doesn't matter because by that point using your combat stats just equates to an inferior outcome (if you're munchkinning).

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Still, I want to know if there a point in 25 WIS before finale.
Stats points can be useful in DEX STR for roleplaing purpose, to break a neck in Mortuary e.g..

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Per this thread, you only need 24 in the finale, and never need more than 22 before that.
Highest Checks in the Game Are:

CON: 21 (Paranoid Incarnation - next highest is 12)
STR: 21 (Paranoid Incarnation - next highest is 17, but only occurs if you are a fighter at the time; next highest for any class is 16)
INT: 21 (no checks above 19 until after Carceri)
WIS: 24 (Transcendent One - next highest is 22)
CHA: 25 (Nordom - Vhailor and TTO are only other checks above 18)
DEX: 19 (Nabat in Curst)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom