Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Flou

Arbiter
200K seems a long way to go with just slacker/PayPal backers and 450K seems impossible.

Still 1½ months left on the timer and I believe those Portal/PayPal backer numbers will pick up once they manage to link up Fig with their backer portal as that will allow people to upgrade their pledge with addons.
They should be able to hit that 4,75M and who knows how many people will pledge more once they are remotely close to 5M.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Some backers might increase their pledges to buy add-ons once the Backer Portal is up.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Giant sea monsters. It would be incline if we dive into the water and fight giant sea monsters in there! :bounce:

WizNessie-746260.jpg

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Giant sea monsters look incredibly creepy when in first person perspective, including Nessie, I've always had this uncomfortable feeling in deep water in games when in that perspective. Giant piranha in the sewer level in Serious Sam 1 anyone? I'm not hydrophobic irl so that's weird.

Chris Avelltwo

Scholar
Giant sea monsters look incredibly creepy when in first person perspective, including Nessie, I've always had this uncomfortable feeling in deep water in games when in that perspective. Giant piranha in the sewer level in Serious Sam 1 anyone? I'm not hydrophobic irl so that's weird.

I'm not hydrophobic either, but I agree with you. The deep ocean is a scary place - completely alien compared to the surface. The further down you go, the darker it becomes, until it is complete darkness. The scariest shit you can possibly imagine is waiting down there in those dark depths. And in Eora, maybe even worse things than we can imagine.

anglerfish.jpeg

Anyway, for something like that to be in Deadfire there either needs to be some sort of diving suit, or some sort of magic to make it possible. A human being can dive unaided to a certain depth, but only to a certain point and only for so long before they would be crushed or drown. I'd expect the Valian Republics with their naval culture and advanced sciences probably have some sort of diving apparatus, and if not, then maybe some sort of wizardry can make it happen.

Also, Aumaua are a semi-aquatic race, so I would assume they can do much better underwater than other Kith races - or at least they should, based on the canon.

Sentinel

Arcane
Pulling off creepy monsters/atmosphere in an isometric game is extremely difficult. I wouldn't hold my breath for anything amazing when it comes to sea monsters (especially after that fucking "it was krakens lol" in poe1).

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Agreed... isometric is good for tactical view and control, but nothing is particularly scary from a high camera, 3rd person perspective. Even if we went down into the ocean after it, it would just end up being a (presumably) dragon-sized sprite with different proportions for us to kill.

Chris Avelltwo

Scholar
Pulling off creepy monsters/atmosphere in an isometric game is extremely difficult. I wouldn't hold my breath for anything amazing when it comes to sea monsters (especially after that fucking "it was krakens lol" in poe1).

Maybe the underwater bits can be scripted interactions, like when you have the dream about the dwarf woman hanging in the tree and it showed an illustration and gave a description of her rotted out face. I thought that was pretty scary... I mean, compared to anything else in the game, at least.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Maybe the underwater bits can be scripted interactions, like when you have the dream about the dwarf woman hanging in the tree and it showed an illustration and gave a description of her rotted out face. I thought that was pretty scary... I mean, compared to anything else in the game, at least.
I think people will feel pretty cheesed if the 250k for that stretch goal results in fishing and scripted monster interactions rather than actual combat with deep sea monsters, but you might be on to something.

I could see a kraken fight with tentacles wrapping around the boat and picking up companions and having to be killed individually too. That seems pretty standard.

jungl

Augur
You can have scary. Naga pirates capture and eat the orlan baby you carried from the first game and have developed a bond with, followed by a giant whale jumping out of the sea and eating the naga.

Chris Avelltwo

Scholar

I think people will feel pretty cheesed if the 250k for that stretch goal results in fishing and scripted monster interactions rather than actual combat with deep sea monsters, but you might be on to something.

I could see a kraken fight with tentacles wrapping around the boat and picking up companions and having to be killed individually too. That seems pretty standard.

There's no reason it couldn't be both. Have a scripted interaction to describe the monster and all its horror, as well as an terrifying illustration of it, and then after that it switches to a normal combat sequence. That way you can have both the horror, and the combat gameplay; so the best of both worlds.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
old kraken is boring and overrused. bring me giant many headed sea serpent, monstrous blobfish. Whatever horrors a human mind can conjure
You mean horrific creatures something like great old ones ?

46dd3c1e095021a30bb428cdfe1ea6ba.jpg

With new rendering and lighting tech which was demonstrated, you could have a torch in completely dark tomb and encounter some creatures and bosses like in Dark Souls.

latest

Iznaliu

Arbiter
shit encounter design

The encounter design isn't the best in the world, but I would hardly call it 'shit'

level scaling

The problem with Beth level scaling is not its existence, but its implementation. The limited level scaling actually worked quite well, but is a bit too extreme. What would be good is to extend the notion of limited level scaling from monster types to the whole game (e.g. Arnika Road could have level 4-8 enemies, and as you level up, higher level enemies gradually become more frequent, but there are still level 4 enemies at level 25. A cool thing to have would be to have weaker sentient enemies hide in passages in fear of you if you have wiped many of their comrades out; maybe even have a few quips and have enemies under this condition more vulnerable to fleeing

I didn't grind much throughout Wiz8 and still managed to keep close enough to the top of things. Character weakness also gives you organic motivation to do things, rather than 'the game says I must do this'

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
old kraken is boring and overrused. bring me giant many headed sea serpent, monstrous blobfish. Whatever horrors a human mind can conjure

With new rendering and lighting tech which was demonstrated, you could have a torch in completely dark tomb and encounter some creatures and bosses like in Dark Souls.

latest
yes. those are great.

and yes, i love tombs of the giant because of the general creepyness

Sentinel

Arcane

latest
A great point about using the torch. (Oppressive) Lighting is fundamental in isometric games to create a spooky atmosphere. If you have a decent sound designer you can do some pretty cool stuff.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I really like PoE overall but it's pretty disappointing how they continue to take races from other stuff (the Naga in this case) and apply it to their own game. I didn't like it in the first PoE how they wanted to be D&D-ish (having elves, dwarves, the undead types etc etc but they're slightly different!) with the creatures and it's disappointing that they're continuing to do that in Deadfire.

The Naga isn't really "taken and applied" from D&D.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
naga_by_elaidaandjaylee-d6bcxu3.jpg

Deadfire cosplay :)

tank.jpg

Half-mechanical-cyber-Naga-tank
I wonder how high the butthurt would've been among PoE fanboys if they decided to make a naga like that

EDIT: seeing how high the nipples are on those tits, they're surely silicon augmented. it's fitting :)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom