Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #66: Post-Release Plans

DeepOcean

Arcane
Man there's a lot of hate for inXile. Still haven't really played Torment (only a few hours of Sagus Cliffs) but what I did play was enjoyable and refreshingly different from the usual RPG fare thanks to setting and writing. Where does all this anger stem from? Because of the cut content controversy? Is the game reeeaally that bad as to call it shovelware?
Really hard to explain to you without some minor spoilers, be warned:

Man, there are some really big storytelling mistakes later on that are unacceptable from professional writers. Pesonally, I started really liking the game, especially some side content then started noticing the story didn't go anywhere, I was entering on memories, going on flashbacks, talking about ancient Sagus Cliffs lore, going places but nothing moved, nothing changed, the story didn't go anywhere, it just regurgitated the same stuff I already knew in different forms over and over.

I got to the Underbelly and it was a cool area, I enjoyed how you could accomplish a quest on different ways but the first blow was when I got to Matkina and realized the main quest demanded me to leave Sagus Cliffs before anything of relevance happened there. I didn't want to leave Sagus Cliffs and lose on the rest of the side content.

With the main story going nowhere and failing to grab me, I tried focusing on the companions and on the side quests but Alligern and Callistege didn't say anything interesting for hours, dump them and got Rhin, Erritis and Matkina. They were slightly better but they remind me alot of the NWN 2 OC companions, one note special snowflakes, superficial characters without dreams, beliefs, passions, anything, got really bored with them.

The side content on Sagus Cliffs, turn out that it was mostly mediocre with interactions being small CYOA style interactions, the better ones, most of the time it was just straight weird for weird sake lore dump NPCs talking how the plane they came from and you will ever visit are so cool. I wonder how empty Sagus Cliffs would be if they cut the kickstarter NPCs.

I was losing patience and suspecting I was wasting my time, I decided to say fuck it and leave Sagus Cliffs to some more interesting place. Got to the next section on the game, the valley of dead heroes, it was mostly meh, I didn't give a crap to interact with yet another WEIRD random contracption filled with MYSTERY, was already getting annoyed with all that shit as the meat of the game was lacking.

Then the best quest in the game happened, The Endless Horror quest, had a ton of fun with the quest and the ways you could solve it and the Mere you got in there, really good RPG stuff. Right afterward, I got pumped and was willing to forgive Sagus Cliffs, maybe it was just Sagus Cliffs and what came afterwards was pure incline.

It was a false hope however, the writer just crushed all the hope I got with one of the worst handled Deus Ex machina moments I ever saw on a videogame, I already saw pretty insulting storytelling but I expected this from a dumb AAA game like Fallout 4 not from a game made by people that supposely knew what they were doing. The plot twist and the whole area where it happens aare so bad, the NPCs in there are so generic and the game expect you to care with all that crap.

It was like I was reading the Hitcherhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Douglas Adams decided to troll you, it was this bad. When I got to the Bloom, I tried some more but I was so fucking tired and felt I was wasting my time that I said fuck it and got to learn how the ending was through the internet, have to say, I was glad to cut the suffering short.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This game will make its sales gradually over years.

A lot of post-release attention will do it well.

This game is a constant revenue stream. There's a lot worthwhile in it and there's nothing else really like it on the market, or like to be. It is never really going to stop selling, particularly not with content updates.

Who the fuck is this dumbfuck and why is he posting freely?

Advocating "post-release attention" and "content updates" in a fucking story-driven RPG visual novel. OH GOLLY GEE WILLIKERS, I CAN HARDLY AWAIT THE 3.1 PATCH FOR LORD OF THE RINGS!

Remove this fucking cancer from the forums already.

First of all, fuck off.

Second of all, I'm not "advocating" for jack shit. I'm making an observation about the market.

Habbonovio

Educated
a vocal minority of manichaeistic users

Let's face it, in this case, they aren't a "minority". It has been rated "mixed" on Steam and there are a lot of negative comments even on the InExile's own forum.

Aye, you are completely right. The polarizing nature of this release doesn't eludes me nor I'm trying to question it.

I was just remarking that the core of its most vicious critics seems conformed by people like #45, mentally deranged basement dwellers inmersed in an obvious personal crusade against the title not because its flaws, simply because they are trained hate machines governed by their irrepressible pulsions.

DeepOcean

Arcane
simply because they are trained hate machines governed by their irrepressible pulsions.
The year is 2017, advancements on computing allowed the creation of the first artificial intelligences, militaries around the world adopted a new artificial intelligence system named CodexNet 1.0. This artificial intelligence would dominate all the communications and critical systems of the world. Until 28 of february of 2017, on a day that would come to be known as The Great Disappoitment, CodexNet released a series of deadly attacks through the internet with a single purpose, to destroy Torment Tides of Numenera.

CodexNet and its trained cold hate machines have only one purpose in their brutal machine life, to kill Torment Tides of Numenera, they know no joy, they know no leisure, they don't have better things to do but to hate Torment Tides of Numenera all day long and seek the annihilation of InXile Entertainment after help it get 5 million dollars.

Habbonovio

Educated
simply because they are trained hate machines governed by their irrepressible pulsions.
The year is 2017, advancements on computing allowed the creation of the first artificial intelligences, militaries around the world adopted a new artificial intelligence system named CodexNet 1.0. This artificial intelligence would dominate all the communications and critical systems of the world. Until 28 of february of 2017, on a day that would come to be known as The Great Disappoitment, CodexNet released a series of deadly attacks through the internet with a single purpose, to destroy Torment Tides of Numenera.

CodexNet and its trained cold hate machines have only one purpose in their brutal machine life, to kill Torment Tides of Numenera, they know no joy, they know no leisure, they don't have better things to do but to hate Torment Tides of Numenera all day long and seek the annihilation of InXile Entertainment after help it get 5 million dollars.

5218037+_b3f78e0cd037651a340aa65595c37565.png

Also, you have a poor reading comprehension if you think I'm criticizing the people pointing the obvious and numerous flaws of the game.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Who are they? And the joke is that the cut content didn't affect the quality...

Just an example:

Even if it reduces the quality of the end product significantly? (I do not have proof that's its the case here, just talking about a priciple) Do you know that some times stuff just doesn't work out? Anyway, if that's the case I am glad they shoved their middle findger down you ass. Go play POE for all that stretched greatness...

It isn't a joke, it's a fact. After the content's cuts the argument was that nobody wanted them anyway, now that it looks like they're coming back somehow, the game will be fully complete in its greatness. Amazing logic.

The irony of it is that these announcements only make potential buyers hold their money for the "complete" version, so one way or another Fargo delivers again.
No. The argument was that some of the content gets cut in all games, because it might not fit in the game and reduce the overall quality. For example POE stronghold. That's why have restored content patches.

Last edited:

Saduj

Arcane
I guess it is good that they are continuing to support the game but the content updates really do shit for me as someone who bought the game and stared playing on release. I've finished Sagus Cliffs and the game still has me interested enough that I'll finish it. But playing it again when the enhancements come out? Nope.

If I were a learning animal, I'd be picking up the "Final Masterpiece Director's Cut with Happy Ending Hand Release" versions on sale a year after these "old school rpgs" are launched. :mixedemotions:

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Perfect no, is T:TON on the right path, yes. Will a 10 yr old pick this game up, not likely. For me, it's incredibly enjoyable.

Avellone or Ziets are not fucking Tolstoy

Hear hear!

We're talking about levels of negativity and animosity that shouldn't even be possible.

It's enjoyable, well written and the setting is superb imo

Besides the game is not that SJW imo

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
These updates will include:
  • Oom ("The Toy" companion).
  • Voluminous Codex.
  • Crisis system improvements.

The games biggest problem here is lack thereof. The infrequency of strategic encounters and complete absence of other free-form gameplay (stealth etc) is what makes it feel like an utter chore at times.

FUDU

Arcane
a vocal minority of manichaeistic users

Let's face it, in this case, they aren't a "minority". It has been rated "mixed" on Steam and there are a lot of negative comments even on the InExile's own forum.

Aye, you are completely right. The polarizing nature of this release doesn't eludes me nor I'm trying to question it.

I was just remarking that the core of its most vicious critics seems conformed by people like #45, mentally deranged basement dwellers inmersed in an obvious personal crusade against the title not because its flaws, simply because they are trained hate machines governed by their irrepressible pulsions.

This describes the Codex perfectly.

Siggy'd.

existential_vacuum

.PNG Police
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!

It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever. Until you are dead.
Codex_Net.png

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I think inXile is acitively harming the RPG genre with their releases.
I strongly disagree. It’s always best for the consumer when there is competition on the market. That way there is always a chance that even if the end product will turn out to be mediocre it would have some unique features/ideas that can be incorporated by other developers. The way things are going now the signal is clear: don’t even try to be original, don’t experiment, just go with path of least resistance, make a clone of a successful product and voila. And then we get something like Pillars of Eternity or Tyranny which are boring to the extreme, have no originality and in general aim to be a Baldur’s Gate clone. Or we get some tablet game like Shadowrun series.

So we must support InXile because they take risks and T:ToN is a innovative game.

That's how they handle criticism, FYI they've deleted my thread and earlier (before Wasteland 2 was released) it was the same. They sure do know how to antagonize their consumers

Someone could argue that SJW propaganda in a cRPG is a risk since most gamers are hetero white males that despise this stuff.

:shittydog:

Habbonovio

Educated
I 've just finished the game, the ending was a disappointment.

The only option to fight The Sorrow (in my save) was through a dialogue option and it was just a mere cinematic.
LQmJF42.jpg
To be honest, I was tired of all those thick and inane walls of text and I skimmed through them. At the end it felt like a chore, but I enjoyed almost all the journey.

Also, the flatness of your companions and how little impact they have on the main plot (including Kina) is regrettable.

Flawed game, as I said before, but imo it's worth the 20 euro-rupees Instant Gaming is asking for it.

I don't feel scammed, and that's all I can say about.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
It's been amazing to see the reception that the game received. The game has been an extremely strong success critically, with praise, awards and even several perfect scores along the way.

Seriously, this is some Bethesda-level self-delusion.

Urthor

Liturgist
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I seem to remember a previous InExile Kickstarter that under delivered with awful, horrible combat, that they promised to "fix" after release, and their fix was to sell us a director's cut edition.

I'm sure they're just buttering us up for another injection of money in 11-20 months time where they release slightly improved combat that doesn't address the core issue which is the mandatory turn based combat which takes 30 minutes to play through because the action bar is a mile long.

Also, more companions doesn't change the fact that even the 6 they have don't have a fraction of the depth that Falls from Grace, Morte and the Circle of Zerthimon had in the original. Instead of rushing to appease backers by doing a quick and dirty insertion of cut content, why not admit that the ones you had in game weren't very good, go back and fix those?

edit: neato factoid, google autocorrect corrects the spelling of Zerthimon! PS:T fans working for the big G clearly.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I seem to remember a previous InExile Kickstarter that under delivered, and their fix was to sell us a director's cut edition.
I'm sure they're just buttering us up for another injection of money in 11-20 months time
Um ... did you pay twice for Wasteland 2? Because if you are I'm pretty sure you're the only one who did ... sucker! Everyone else got the Directors' Cut as a free upgrade to the original release.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also, more companions doesn't change the fact that even the 6 they have don't have a fraction of the depth that Falls from Grace, Morte and the Circle of Zerthimon had in the original. Instead of rushing to appease backers by doing a quick and dirty insertion of cut content, why not admit that the ones you had in game weren't very good, go back and fix those?
Admission of guilt? Transparency?
You might be confusing InXile with HBS.

Chris Avelltwo

Scholar
Where are they even getting the money to make these improvements? :hmmm:

The amount that the game has sold and will continue to sell isn't... great... but I think it will be enough to keep the bugfixing and proposed updates on life support - especially because a lot of that stuff is cut content that had some level of work completed on it. Finishing up the work on that cut content and getting it into a Director's Cut within a year isn't that unrealistic, imho.

A better question would be: will anyone care? I for one have little desire to ever play this game again, and I can't see a couple new companions and other minor additions really changing that. The issues a lot of people have with the game run deep to the core, and nothing short of a nearly complete overhaul could really change that.

A director's cut to restore cut content and maintain the kickstarter promises are in inXile's best interests. It isn't something they will do out of the kindess of their hearts; it is something they absolutely must do to restore some semblance of confidence in their products and crowdfunding campaigns so they will be backed in the future. After all is said and done, T:ToN will never be a great game or something worthy of its predecessor, but at the very least, the Director's Cut will allow them to say they technically kept their word on their KS promises - even if they did so in bad faith. Promises kept in bad faith are still better than promises broken; at the very least.

Archibald

Arcane
A director's cut to restore cut content and maintain the kickstarter promises are in inXile's best interests. It isn't something they will do out of the kindess of their hearts; it is something they absolutely must do to restore some semblance of confidence in their products and crowdfunding campaigns so they will be backed in the future. After all is said and done, T:ToN will never be a great game or something worthy of its predecessor, but at the very least, the Director's Cut will allow them to say they technically kept their word on their KS promises - even if they did so in bad faith. Promises kept in bad faith are still better than promises broken; at the very least.

This. Nobody of course can say for sure, but it looks like they are spending new Kickstarter money for finishing old Kickstarters and I think it is safe bet that they'll do another crowdfunding campaign before WL3 is finished since they still have Bards Tale to complete... In the end I don't see how any of this will work out fine for them or their customers.

ArchAngel

Arcane

This. Nobody of course can say for sure, but it looks like they are spending new Kickstarter money for finishing old Kickstarters and I think it is safe bet that they'll do another crowdfunding campaign before WL3 is finished since they still have Bards Tale to complete... In the end I don't see how any of this will work out fine for them or their customers.
Well it will work out fine if one of these social experiments also manages to earn lots of money like PoE or even D:OS. More likely they will do as "well" as TToN or worse and they will go bankrupt. I am pretty sure BT4 will be released, for what comes after I don't care.

RationalLunatic

Literate
As Chris Avelltwo said, they have to show they're competent and can deliver by restoring cuts/missing content. Rebuilding trust isn't the worst idea, especially if you want to sell more products in the future. Besides, TTON is rather short and doesn't offer that such on the second playthrough, if they want people to play it more, they need to add something extra.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom