Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Fifth Eye should have been the starting location. Just add some basement and have me kill some psionic rats

FeelTheRads

Arcane
The game is set in the billion years in the future, where you could come across great wonders and ruins of the past civilizations or come across mysterious artifacts and what not, but they've managed to make the quests feel just utterly mundane.

Maybe not directly related, but I found that the "weirdness" of the setting gets "mundane" surprisingly fast. And I think the reason is they didn't really took advantage of it. Too much repetition. Oh look, another guy with multiple personalities... oh look, another one that's "not quite here"... oh look, another one who reads minds.. basically a couple of types that just keep repeating. Same with the devices you find... after the third floating machine, you just don't really give much of a shit about floating machines anymore and every time they're described as if I was supposed to be impressed by their floatiness. FFS, in the Valley alone there's two floating thingamamobs each on opposite corners.

Another thing that greatly annoys me is how the game keeps telling me things my character shouldn't know. Alien script this, alien script that, unnamable alien god there. How the fuck does my character know these things if they're so unknown and unnamable.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Yeah I regularly see this confusion between player character and omniscient narator in contemporary RPGs. Happy to see I'm not the onlyone it bothers. Even poor novel writers are supposed to know how to juggle with diegesis and mimesis (just insert "their balls" instead of "mimesis and diegesis" if you don't know their meaning).

Another thing that greatly annoys me is how the game keeps telling me things my character shouldn't know. Alien script this, alien script that, unnamable alien god there. How the fuck does my character know these things if they're so unknown and unnamable.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
Roqua these forums are for white people.

20307.jpg

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
I found most of the sidequests in Sagus Cliffs pretty much utterly pointless and shit, most of the time I was thinking "Why should I even be bothering", do they get any better? I liked the foreman's need to create offspring potentially very interesting only if they'd done it better and actually follow it up, but as we're not coming back, we're not gonna get to follow up on it.

I've just arrived to the Valley of Something, and I'm gonna soldier on to see the mere written by MRY as I really liked what he did with Primordia so it'll be interesting to see what he's done with it :salute:

I would be interested in knowing a modern game with side quests you liked and thought had a point and were good.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Bros, I'm playing this game and it feels weird.
It's like buying a cheap hooker and forcing her to wear a wig, so she can look like your beautiful ex girlfriend. You still have fun, I guess, but it just seems wrong.
Thought-provoking stuff bros.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I found most of the sidequests in Sagus Cliffs pretty much utterly pointless and shit, most of the time I was thinking "Why should I even be bothering", do they get any better? I liked the foreman's need to create offspring potentially very interesting only if they'd done it better and actually follow it up, but as we're not coming back, we're not gonna get to follow up on it.

I've just arrived to the Valley of Something, and I'm gonna soldier on to see the mere written by MRY as I really liked what he did with Primordia so it'll be interesting to see what he's done with it :salute:

I would be interested in knowing a modern game with side quests you liked and thought had a point and were good.

Fallout New Vegas had some nice quests and good writing.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck

Fallout New Vegas had some nice quests and good writing.

It also had the easiest combat of any modern game up to that point, even easier than Kotor 1 and 2, making SPECIAL choices and all character development meaningless and just filler content. It barely qualifies as a game it was so easy. Thankfully, a couple of overhaul mods corrected that, but it literally took years and years to make it worth playing for people who are rpg fans and not just fans of slightly interactive stories.

But, regardless, please list a couple side quests that were not pointless and shit like all the ones in TTON.

So from the beginning you can tell everyone you are the Changing God, and you can be quite insistent about it.

Does it have a real effect?

I got to the part where the Spectre *SHOCK* tells you he is the changing god himself, but you can still keep telling him that you are the real one. Can you BE the real guy and turn all the other castoffs into tang and drink their essence? Or am I mistake this for a good game?

dednaem

Learned
Thoughts so far (about halfway through):

Setting is literally The Flinstones, most of it is just the same old with a different name, the shower is a mammoth and the mailbox is a pelican.
Wiki dialogue is terrible, feels like interacting with a vending machine instead of actual people. Completely unnatural.
NPCs remind me of the tranny in Dragonspear. "Hi, my name is something really cool and *special*, I come from a tribe where we loredump on anyone we come across for no reason!"
Game keeps teasing me with interesting things that I'll never get to see.
The few cool things you do get to see are barely explored (if at all), instead they're quickly cast aside to be replaced with something else. Less would've been more (why do so many games fail at this?).
There's barely any actual gameplay. Effort mechanic is a joke and combat moves at a glacial pace, despite being so basic it might as well resolve itself.
Most things you get are completely superfluous. I haven't used a single cypher so far, just spam magic missile and basic attacks.
UI is sluggish, unnecessary animations everywhere.
Side quests are mostly self-contained, largely irrelevant in the bigger picture (so far at least).
Interacting with machines gets tiring after a while, even something as simple as a 2 way portal gets 3 paragraphs describing it.

I'm still managing to get some enjoyment out of the Cool Weird Shit(tm) but the game screams of mismanaged development. Reaching the Bloom is the only motivation I have left.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Setting is literally The Flinstones, most of it is just the same old with a different name, the shower is a mammoth and the mailbox is a pelican.

:5/5:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom